Welcome To aBlackWeb

The Official World Politics Thread

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/dems-lining-up-to-consider-collins-challenge

Democrats Lining Up To Consider Challenging Collins In 2020

PORTLAND, Maine (AP) — She is not on the ballot this fall, yet the fight over Susan Collins’ political future is already raging.

Interest in the Maine Republican senator’s 2020 re-election has exploded in the days since she cast the deciding vote to confirm President Donald Trump’s Supreme Court pick — a vote that helped transform the balance of power on the nation’s high court for a generation and suddenly complicates Collins’ path to a fifth term.

Half a dozen Democratic prospects are openly considering running against the Republican political powerhouse, while an online fund has generated $3.6 million — and counting — for Collins’ ultimate Democratic challenger. The would-be candidates include Susan Rice, who had been one of President Barack Obama’s closest aides. Rice is not currently a Maine resident — she has family ties to the state — but would bring political celebrity that could make it difficult for the state’s shallow bench of lesser-known Democrats to stand out.

The emergence of a crowded field in a Senate contest two years away underscores the extraordinary political moment triggered by the debate over Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh. Fighting allegations of sexual misconduct from three decades ago, he won confirmation by a razor-thin margin on Saturday over the screaming objections of Democrats and women’s groups in all corners of the nation.

Collins’ Alaska colleague, Sen. Lisa Murkowski, was the lone Republican to oppose the nomination. Now, Alaska GOP officials are considering whether to seek a replacement or encourage her not to seek re-election as a Republican when her term expires in 2022.

West Virginia Sen. Joe Manchin, the lone Democrat to vote for Kavanaugh, faces a potential revolt from his own party’s liberal base in his immediate re-election test in November. Manchin told The Associated Press last weekend that he followed Collins’ lead.

“She had an opportunity to make history,” said Maine Democrat Rosa Scarcelli, a businesswoman who previously ran for governor and is among Collins’ many potential challengers. “I’m disappointed and angry.”

Many Maine Democrats prefer that a woman take on Collins, although few, if any, enjoy the statewide notoriety and fundraising prowess needed to defeat New England’s last remaining Republican senator.

Many may try.

The Democrats’ prospect list is topped by Rep. Chellie Pingree, who Collins defeated once already, back in 2002.

Pingree’s daughter, Hannah, who served as the youngest woman elected state house speaker before stepping away from politics, said she’s waiting until after the midterms to decide on a Collins challenge.

“It’s too soon to say what I might do,” Hannah Pingree told the AP. “I have taken some time out of running for office to raise some young kids and they’re getting a little older. It’s not impossible.”

Maine Democratic House Speaker Sara Gideon also hinted at a potential run.

Gideon, who’s often clashed with outgoing Republican Gov. Paul LePage, said she’s focused on winning more Democratic seats in the Maine House for now. After November’s midterm elections, however, she said she’d “be seriously considering how I can elevate the voices of people who deserve and demand to be heard and represented in DC.”

Other potential prospects include former state house speaker Emily Cain, state attorney general and gubernatorial candidate Janet Mills, and liberal activist Betsy Sweet.

Sweet said a big factor would be whether Collins, 65, decides to run at all. She said Maine needs “someone who’s not entrenched in the old way of doing things.”

“We need someone who’s more transparent and more willing to actually meet and listen to the people of Maine,” said Sweet, who acknowledged that she’s also considering a run.

Three men, current Democratic Senate nominee Zak Ringelstein, state Rep. Seth Berry and Portland Mayor Ethan Strimling, said they’re more interested in supporting a female candidate than running themselves.

“I have made it my personal mission to defeat Susan Collins,” said Ringelstein, who said that he’d prefer to help a Collins’ challenger as a U.S. senator but wouldn’t rule out a second run in 2020 if he loses next month.

Berry is also open to a Senate bid. Strimling said he’s is not.

“From my perspective we need a strong progressive woman to run, and that’s who I’ll be looking to support,” Strimling said.

Rice is a wildcard. She first served Obama as his ambassador to the United Nations and then as his national security adviser. Obama was considering nominating Rice to lead the State Department during his second term, but she withdrew her nomination after she became embroiled in the controversy over American deaths at a diplomatic compound in Benghazi, Libya.

Collins was among the Republicans who said she was troubled by Rice’s explanations for the deadly attack.

Rice’s public interest in the Senate seat was met with a combination of skepticism and curiosity among energized Maine Democrats, who have tried and failed for much of the last three decades to defeat Collins.

The former Obama aide’s connection to Maine has already emerged as a central issue. Rice, whose primary residence is in the Washington area, emphasized “long and deep” ties to Maine as she attacked Collins during a weekend appearance at the New Yorker Festival.

“I think she did a disservice to people in Maine who were counting on her. She has betrayed women across this country,” Rice charged. She said she’d give a possible Senate bid “due consideration after the midterms.”

Rice also said her family “goes back generations” in Maine and that she’s owned a home in the state for the last 20 years.

Her maternal grandparents emigrated to Maine from Jamaica in the 1910s. Rice’s grandfather, David Augustus Dickson, worked as a shipper, porter and janitor. Her grandmother, Mary Dickson, a maid and seamstress, was named Maine State Mother of the Year in 1950.

That same year, Rice’s mother, Lois Dickson Rice, was valedictorian of Portland High School. Rice’s great-uncles all graduated from Maine’s Bowdoin College.

Rice’s family once lived on Lafayette Street in Portland’s Munjoy Hill neighborhood, once an immigrant enclave now home to an expensive rental market.

One neighborhood resident, Lisa Morris, said she was surprised to learn she lives on the same street that Rice’s family once did.

“It would be pretty awesome to have a senator from Maine who was a woman of color,” said the 55-year-old university policy analyst.

Not far away, 86-year-old Judy Halpert recalled walking to school with Rice’s mother, whom she called a close friend.

Halpert doesn’t like Collins “at all,” and pointed to Rice’s long roots in the state.

“She has a right to be a Mainer as well,” she said. “I’d vote for her in a minute.”

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/fox-new...acy-that-anti-kavanaugh-protestors-were-paid/

Fox News Guest’s Sarcastic Joke Fuels Trump Conspiracy That Anti-Kavanaugh Protestors Were Paid

“The paid D.C. protesters are now ready to REALLY protest because they haven’t gotten their checks – in other words, they weren’t paid!” President Donald Trump tweeted Tuesday morning. “Screamers in Congress, and outside, were far too obvious – less professional than anticipated by those paying (or not paying) the bills!”

Like many of his incendiary tweets, this one appears to have been inspired by Fox News.

Asra Nomani, who wrote an op-ed tracking the money behind the anti-Kavanaugh protests for the Wall Street Journal, appeared on Fox & FriendsTuesday to discuss her piece.

Nomani’s article for the JournalGeorge Soros’s March on Washington — outlined the money ties between the left-wing billionaire and groups protesting Brett Kavanaugh‘s Supreme Court confirmation, suggesting something sinister about organized protests.

She went on Fox & Friends to reveal what she found…as a chyron blared “PAID TO PROTEST?”

“The president has referred to these people — some of them — as being paid,” Fox News host Steve Doocy said. “Were they?”

“Well, on the onset, because people have sent me lots of messages that they’re waiting for their check, a lot of sincere people are protesting,” Nomani said, apparently inspiring our Trump tweet.

When reached for comment, however, Nomani told Mediaite that her line about protestors “waiting for their check” was sarcastic.

On Fox & Friends, she went on to say: “I followed the money for the last two years ever since #Resistance emerged the day after Trump was elected, and the money leads us back to, not a surprise I know to a lot of people, but George Soros and his philanthropy empire.”

It’s not the individual protestors that are getting the money,” she said (emphasis mine). “But it is the organizations that are running these protests.

Trump decried the protestors as “paid professionals” last week — that time likely inspired by Fox’s Maria Bartiromo — claiming that their signs were paid for by Soros, a frequent boogeyman of the far-right.

That was quickly debunked as a stock-standard Soros conspiracy theory. The protests, like most protests, were organized. Some of the groups that planned protests were funded in part by Soros’s foundation. But Soros did not pay protestors directly, nor did he puppet-master any anti-Kavanaugh protests.

I wonder if the kavanaugh confirmation was the final straw for Haley? Who knows....

Seriously doubt it. It's weird world we living in but its hard for me to see someone being cool with Trump and being like this shit with Kavanaugh is just too much.

It could happen but I doubt.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/hope-hicks-vanity-fair-report-fox-hiring

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/10/the-backstory-of-hope-hickss-bolt-to-fox-on-the-west-coast

How Hope Hicks Ended Up Landing Her New Gig At Fox

Summer Concepcion

A Vanity Fair report Tuesday sheds light on how Hope Hicks, President Donald Trump’s former communications director, landed her new job as the chief communications officer for Fox News’ parent company “New FOX.”

Hicks reportedly decided to work for the Murdochs in Los Angeles because she wanted a “reset” from her well-publicized life on the East Coast.

One executive who met with Hicks said she was initially “looking for a big job in media and investment banks,” but ultimately Trump and Jared Kushner came through by lobbying Rupert Murdoch to hire her, according to Vanity Fair.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/...e-change-report-i-want-to-look-at-who-drew-it

Trump On Alarming UN Climate Change Report: ‘I Want To Look At Who Drew It’

President Donald Trump acknowledged receiving an alarming report on climate change from the United Nations’ Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change Tuesday, at the same time saying “I want to look at who drew it.”

“It was given to me,” Trump told members of the media in a press gaggle.

“And I want to look at who drew it,” he continued. “You know, which group drew it. Because I can give you reports that are fabulous and I can give you reports that aren’t so good. But I will be looking at it, absolutely.”

The President has infamously called climate change a “hoax” several times, and his administration has acted to loosen or eliminate a bundle of regulations aimed at limiting earth-warming emissions. Last summer, Trump announced the United States’ intention to withdraw from the Paris climate accord.

The UN IPCC is tasked with providing scientific information for policymakers on the world stage. The UN Framework Convention on Climate Change requested a report “on the impacts of global warming of 1.5°C above pre-industrial levels and related global greenhouse gas emission pathways” as part of the Paris climate accord.

IPCC released the report, “Special Report on Global Warming of 1.5ºC,” on Monday, outlining the urgent need for governments to act, quickly, to avoid worldwide catastrophe as a result of global warming. The report was authored and edited by dozens of climate scientists from around the world.

“With more than 6,000 scientific references cited and the dedicated contribution of thousands of expert and government reviewers worldwide, this important report testifies to the breadth and policy relevance of the IPCC,” IPCC Chair Hoesung Lee said in a press release.

giphy.gif

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profil...-to-capture-wapo-columnist-failed-to-stop-it/

Report: U.S. Knew of Saudi Plan to Capture WaPo Columnist, Failed to Stop It

The details surrounding Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi‘s disappearance after entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul last week remain a mystery, but according to a new report from the Post, U.S. intelligence officials seemed to have discovered a plan to capture him before it happened, and failed to successfully intervene.

The Turkish government believes that Khashoggi, a Saudi national who was living in the United States, was murdered. According to the New York Times, officials in Istanbul believe he was killed on orders from the royal court of Saudi Arabia. A senior Turkish official told the Times that they think Khashoggi was killed within two hours of entering the consulate, and that a team of Saudi agents then destroyed his body.

A source told the Post that prior to Khashoggi going missing, U.S. intelligence intercepted Saudi officials’ communications, which revealed a plan to capture Khashoggi and get him to Saudi Arabia. It was unclear from this whether Saudi Arabia wanted to then kill him or arrest him, or if U.S. officials made Khashoggi aware of this, the source said.

University of Texas law professor Steve Vladeck weighed in on this revelation, saying it’s “remarkable” that the U.S. had this intelligence and seemingly failed to act on it.

The Saudi government maintains that they had nothing to do with Khashoggi’s disappearance, and that the journalist left the consulate soon after he got there. Officials from both Turkey and he United States have sought proof of this, to no avail.

Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tennessee) reportedly spoke to a Saudi ambassador about viewing security video that would show whether or not Khashoggi left the consulate. According to CNN’s Manu Raju, Corker said he was told that no such video exists, because the security feed only provides a live feed, with no recordings made. Corker seemed skeptical.

“I’ve never heard of an embassy in my life that doesn’t tape,” he said.

The Post has obtained video of the areas surrounding the consulate that purportedly shows when Khashoggi arrived at the consulate, as well as the movements of vehicles leaving the consulate two hours later. The Post noted that the footage has been edited, and that timestamps are of questionable accuracy. The footage does not show Khashoggi himself leaving the consulate.

https://www.mediaite.com/online/mel...sconduct-claim-you-need-to-show-the-evidence/

Melania Trump: If You Make a Sexual Misconduct Claim, You Need to ‘Show the Evidence’

Melania Trump is calling on sexual misconduct accusers to produce “hard evidence” to back up their claims.

During an interview which was taped in Egypt last week as part of a one-hour special set to air Friday (which was previewed on Good Morning America Wednesday), ABC’s Tom Llamas asked the First Lady whether she believes “men in the news” who have been accused of sexual assault or sexual harassment have been treated unfairly.

“We need to have really hard evidence that, if you are accused of something, show the evidence,” Trump said.

Llamas did not specifically ask about allegations against newly-sworn in Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh. The reporter did follow-up on the First Lady’s comment by noting that some in the audience might react by saying “you need to stand with women.”

“I do stand with women. But we need to show the evidence,” Trump said. “You cannot just say to somebody, I was sexually assaulted, or you did that to me, because sometimes the media goes too far. And the way they portray some stories, it’s not correct. It’s not right.”

Get there how you feel is best for you black man. Enjoy your journey!

Wtf are y'all even saying. You sound like niggas who think they got it all figured out. You don't.

nigga?
its not about having it figured out....its about tired of trying to help niggas who want nothing but want everything.
niggas who wont try but want to be in the place of those who did.

the entitlement of our people in the face of people who diont give a shit about us yet...people shit on those who try to help.

you dont want this smoke with me bruh

tenor.gif

Back