Welcome To aBlackWeb

The Official World Politics Thread

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/trump-putin-not-enemy

Trump Muses About Future Friendship With Putin: He ‘Is Not My Enemy’

During an impromptu news conference Thursday, President Donald Trump suggested that he could someday become friends with Russian President Vladimir Putin and said the Kremlin leader, whose country meddled in the 2016 election, is “not my enemy.”

“Somebody was saying, ‘Is he an enemy?’ He’s not my enemy. ‘Is he a friend?’ No, I don’t know him well enough, but the couple of times I’ve gotten to meet him, we got along very well, you saw that,” Trump told reporters Thursday when asked about his relationship with Putin ahead of their planned summit Monday. “I hope we get along well, I think we’ll get along well, but ultimately he’s a competitor. … Not a question of friend or enemy. He is not my enemy. Hopefully some day, maybe he will be a friend. It could happen.”

Trump also told reporters that he plans to ask Putin about the 2016 Russian election meddling during their meeting, which will include a one-on-one discussion between the two leaders.

“He may deny it, it’s one of those things. All I can say is ‘Did you?’ and ‘Don’t do it again,'” he said. “He may deny it. You will be the first to know.”

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/jim-jordan-shouting-strzok-hearing

Committee Erupts In Shouting As Jordan Trucks Over FBI Agent’s Answer To His Question

Rep. Jim Jordan (R-OH) — one of the President Trump’s most vocal allies in efforts to bash special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation — prompted shouts from his Democratic counterparts on the Oversight and Judiciary committees as he bulldozed over FBI agent Peter Strzok’s attempts to answer his questions. Even House Judiciary Committee Chairman Bob Goodlatte (R-VA) signaled Jordan would need to let the hearing move on.

Stzrok — a constant target of Republicans due to the anti-Trump texts he sent while working on the Hillary Clinton and Russia investigations — repeatedly told committee members at Thursday’s open hearing that he could not answer certain questions about the Russia probe since it is an ongoing investigation.

Jordan asked Strzok specifically about an email he sent to other top FBI officials that referred to copies of the infamous Trump-Russia dossier, and the difference between the versions handed over by Sen. John McCain, “Corn” and “Simpson.”

Jordan badgered Strzok over who Corn and Simpson — presumably references to Mother Jones journalist David Corn and Glenn Simpson, head of the firm that hired the ex-British spy to assemble the dossier — were. Jordan repeatedly interrupted Strzok as he tried to explain why he couldn’t answer the question, prompting Democrats to yell at Jordan to let the FBI official answer and to point out that Jordan’s time for questioning was expired.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/hearing-off-rails-gohmert-accuses-strzok-lying-wife

Hearing Goes Off Rails As GOPer Accuses FBI Agent Of Lying To His Wife

Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-TX) accused FBI agent Peter Strzok of being liar in a verbal attack during a Thursday hearing, which escalated when Gohmert compared Strzok’s “smirk” in the hearing to “how many times did you look so innocent into your wife’s eye and lie to her.”

Strzok was testifying in front of the House Oversight and Judiciary committees, where Republicans peppered him with questions about anti-Donald Trump texts he sent to another FBI official, with whom he was having an affair.

Gohmert’s tirade prompted shouting from Democrats who accused the lawmaker of “intolerable harassment of a witness. “

“You need your medication!” one lawmaker shouted.

Back