Welcome To aBlackWeb

The Official World Politics Thread

DhXa1JdU0AA-yfO.jpg

I was referring to Rep Jim Jordan's mannerisms. My cousin and I was watching him on CNN several months ago and she was like "Oh yeah, he definitely gay"
So you saying him being gay would prevent him from feeling a type of way about male sexual abuse?

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/livew...n-and-other-greatest-hits-great-falls-montana

Trump Mocks #MeToo, Sucks Up To Putin And Other Greatest Rally Hits

President Donald Trump pulled out all the stops at a Thursday rally in Great Falls, Montana.

He made fun of Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) and the #MeToo movement in one fell swoop, praised Russian President Vladimir Putin, attacked ailing members of his own party and repeatedly brought up the failed nomination of his VA Secretary candidate Ronny Jackson, placing the blame with Sen. Jon Tester (D-MT).

In one of his favorite talking points, Trump went after Warren for her claims of Native American ancestry, making a confusingly sinister joke about using a genetics testing kit to force the Senator to validate her lineage.

“We will take that little kit, but we have to do it gently because we’re in the #MeToo generation, so we have to be very gentle, and we will very gently take that kit and we will slowly toss it,” he said to laughter per an AP report.

Warren shot back on Twitter.

Back at the rally, Trump alighted on Russia and his upcoming summit with Putin.

“Putin’s fine,” Trump said per the New York Times. “He’s fine. We’re all fine. We’re people. Will I be prepared? Totally prepared. I’ve been preparing for this stuff my whole life.”

Trump then took aim at Tester, calling him a “liberal Democrat” and maligning him for “shameful, dishonest attacks on a great man, a friend of mine,” referring to Jackson whose confirmation was sunk when accusations came out from former employees of harassment, drunkenness on the job, and unethical medicine distribution.

A Trump rally would not be complete these days without an attack on Rep. Maxine Waters (D-CA), a task which he takes to with great enthusiasm.

“I said it the other day, yes, she is a low-IQ individual, Maxine Waters. I said it the other day,” he said. “I mean, honestly she is somewhere in the mid-60s. I believe that.”

Trump then turned his attention to his own party, targeting in turns former President George H. W. Bush and Sen. John McCain (R-AZ).

In a meandering digression, Trump took aim at the ailing former President’s slogan, popularized in his 1988 nomination speech.

“Thousand points of light,” Trump said, per CNN. “What does that mean? I know one thing. Make America Great Again we understand. Putting America first we understand. Thousand points of light, I never quite got that one. What the hell is that? Has anyone ever figured that one out? It was put out by a Republican wasn’t it.”

He then attacked McCain, again bringing up his vote that helped kill the Republicans’ attempt to repeal Obamacare.

The President made a bit of news en route to the freewheeling rally as well, teasing to reporters on Air Force one that he had narrowed his Supreme Court candidates “down to four people and I think of the four people, I have it down to three or two.” He added that he would decide by Sunday and announce Monday, per the Hill.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/report-pompeo-gives-kim-trump-signed-copy-rocket-man

Report: Pompeo Gives Kim Jong Un Trump Signed Copy Of ‘Rocket Man’ CD

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo gifted North Korean leader Kim Jong Un with an Elton John CD that includes his hit song “Rocket Man,” signed by President Donald Trump, North Korean media reported Friday.

Pompeo reportedly brought two gifts for Kim from Trump — the CD and a letter, according to The Chosunilbo. Pompeo would not confirm the CD gift to U.S. reporters embedded with him.

According to a diplomatic source who spoke with Chosunilbo, the “Rocket Man” CD stems from a conversation Trump and Kim had during their denuclearization summit last month. Trump reportedly asked Kim if he had ever heard the song and Kim said he had not.

The CD refers to the moniker Trump gave Kim last year when tensions between the two world leaders had reached a boiling point. Both Kim and Trump traded juvenile insults for months as Kim launched test missiles and Trump threatened to bring “fire and fury” to the regime.

Pompeo is in North Korea for two days to discuss the return of the remains of U.S. soldiers who were killed in the Korean War in the 1950s and dismantlement of a North Korean missile engine test site.

During the summit last month, the two leaders agreed to work together to denuclearize the Korean peninsula, with Trump vowing to end the U.S.-South Korea “war games” and Kim saying he would disassemble his test sites, though there’s been no sign that he’s made any efforts to do so.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/pruitt-survived-praise-trump-fired-without-word

Pruitt Survived By Praising Trump, Who In Turn Fired Pruitt Without Speaking To Him

Former Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Scott Pruitt survived months of reports on his unethical behavior by lavishing praise on President Donald Trump and making himself a visible figure in the West Wing, The Washington Post reported Thursday evening.

Pruitt mechanically praised the President, calling him “brilliant” and a “political revolutionary,” in the Post’s words. The two men bonded over their shared paranoia, regularly grousing about the “deep state” and former aides who they thought collaborated to upend their agenda, according to White House officials familiar with the meetings who spoke to the Post.

Trump reportedly enjoyed Pruitt’s presence too, and tried to ignore the constant barrage of news reports on his EPA chief’s scandals, which ranged from excessive spending on flights to scrubbing his official calendar to hide controversial meetings.

But despite the consistent praise, Trump finally decided by Thursday morning that Pruitt’s behavior was too much of a political burden for him to bear. He directed his staff to ask for Pruitt’s resignation without speaking to him and tweeted about the ouster after he received the letter.

By then, Pruitt had few fans left in the White House, according to officials who spoke to the Post.

For Chief of Staff John Kelly, the ousting couldn’t have come soon enough. The top White House aide was reportedly “obsessed” with giving him the boot. Many within Pruitt’s own agency had reportedly already turned against him and the White House press shop told the EPA to stop booking TV appearances for Pruitt, which he just started doing himself, current and former aides told the Post.

In the end, stroking Trump’s ego wasn’t enough to save Pruitt, but he used his near-spiritual resignation letter as one last expression of reverence for the President.

“My desire in service to you has always been to bless you as you make important decisions for the American people. I believe you are serving as President today because of God’s providence,” Pruitt wrote.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/livew...rdan-of-lying-about-ignorance-of-sexual-abuse

A Fifth Wrestler Accuses Jordan Of Lying About Ignorance Of Sexual Abuse

Two more former Ohio State wrestlers came forward Thursday to claim that Rep. Jim Jordan (R-OH) knew about allegations of rampant sexual abuse carried out by the team doctor while Jordan was the assistant coach, despite his denials.

This brings the total up to five of Jordan’s former wrestlers accusing him of lying.

According to a Thursday NBC report, Shawn Dailey says that he was groped repeatedly by team doctor Richard Strauss in the 1990s. He said that while he was too ashamed to report his experience directly to Jordan, he partook in multiple conversations with Jordan and his teammates during which Strauss’ alleged conduct was discussed.

“I participated with Jimmy and the other wrestlers in locker-room talk about Strauss. We all did,” Dailey told NBC, referring to Jordan. “It was very common knowledge in the locker room that if you went to Dr. Strauss for anything, you would have to pull your pants down.”

NBC reported earlier this week the accounts of three other former wrestlers who alleged similar experiences with Strauss. Dailey confirmed the account of one of them, Dunyasha Yetts.

“Dunyasha comes back and tells Jimmy, ‘Seriously, why do I have to pull down my pants for a thumb injury?’” Dailey said. “Jimmy said something to the extent of, ‘If he tried that with me, I would kill him.'”

Daily added that his coming forward is in no way politically motivated, as he is a Republican and has contributed to Jordan’s campaign in the past.

“What happened drove me out of the sport,” said Dailey told NBC. “So I was surprised to hear Jim say that he knew nothing about it.”

“Jimmy’s a good guy,” he added. “But to say that he had no knowledge of it, I would say that’s kind of hurtful.”

A Thursday Wall Street Journal report contained another account of utter disbelief that Jordan would feign ignorance, as the allegations of assault were so widespread.

“There’s no way unless he’s got dementia or something that he’s got no recollection of what was going on at Ohio State,” Mark Coleman, former Ohio State wrestler and UFC world champion, told the Wall Street Journal. “I have nothing but respect for this man, I love this man, but he knew as far as I’m concerned.”

Strauss committed suicide in 2005 and a university investigation into his conduct has since been opened.

Jordan has consistently denied that he had any knowledge of the abuse allegations. President Donald Trump lent his support to Jordan on Thursday, saying that he doesn’t “believe [the wrestlers] at all” and only believes Jordan.

Though investigators’ initial emails were sent to Jordan via a bad email address,communication has now been straightened out and an interview with Jordan is in the works.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/elliott-broidy-sued-ending-hush-money-payments-playmate

Ex-Playmate Sues GOP Donor Broidy For Ending Hush Money Payments

A former Playboy model has sued top GOP donor Eliott Broidy over his decision to end a hush money agreement related to their extramarital affair that was brokered by former Trump attorney Michael Cohen.

Shera Bechard filed the suit under seal in Los Angeles County Superior Court on Friday, according to the Wall Street Journal.

At issue, per the Journal, is the $1.6 million that Broidy agreed to pay Bechard late last year in exchange for her silence about their sexual relationship, which allegedly resulted in Bechard’s pregnancy.

The complaint also names Bechard’s former attorney Keith Davidson and Michael Avenatti, attorney for onetime adult film star Stormy Daniels, as defendants. Cohen is not a defendant.

Earlier this week, the Journal reported that Broidy was cutting off the regular installments he paid out to Bechard under the agreement because Davidson violated her non-disclosure agreement by discussing the arrangement with Avenatti.

In a statement released on Twitter, Avenatti said he had no relationship with Bechard and that his inclusion in the complaint suggested “a ploy by Ms. Bechard to get publicity.” Avenatti requested that she unseal the suit “immediately.”

Cohen’s involvement in this tangled web of hush money payments made on behalf of the President and others in their orbit is currently under investigation by federal prosecutors.

Donald Trump to avoid London during UK visit
Protesters plan ‘carnival of resistance’ with inflatable 6m-tall baby balloon of president
http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.upp-prod-us.s3.amazonaws.com%2Ff6b70aea-8132-11e8-af48-190d103e32a4

A helium-filled Donald Trump blimp to be deployed during presidential visit to UK © Reuters

July 6, 2018 4:59 pm by James Blitz in London andDemetri Sevastopulo in Washington

President Donald Trump will conduct a whirlwind tour of stately homes on his visit to Britain next week, avoiding a “carnival of resistance” protest as activists gather in London.

On a four-day visit to the UK starting on Thursday, Mr Trump will be received at Blenheim Palace, Windsor Castle and Chequers. He will spend the weekend at Turnberry, his golf course outside Glasgow, where he will prepare for his July 16 summit in Helsinki withVladimir Putin, theRussian president.

Woody Johnson, US ambassador to Britain, denied that Mr Trump was trying to avoid the protest in London or that his itinerary had been designed to keep him away from crowds, with Mr Trump set to travel around the country mostly by plane and helicopter.

”This is a short trip. It is absolutely packed with things that he has to do,” said Mr Johnson. “The president is not avoiding anything. The president is merely trying to get as impactful a trip as he can get in a 24-hour period.”

Mr Trump will stay on Thursday at Winfield House, the US ambassador’s residence after dining with business leaders at Blenheim Palace.

On Friday, Mr Trump and Theresa May, the British prime minister, will visit an as-yet-undisclosed defence facility, followed by lunch at Chequers, the prime minister’s official country residence.

https://www.ft.com/content/aa279988-8137-11e8-bc55-50daf11b720d

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/trump-admin-deals-new-blow-to-obamacare

Trump Admin Deals New Blow To Obamacare

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Trump administration said Saturday it’s freezing payments under an “Obamacare” program that protects insurers with sicker patients from financial losses, a move expected to add to premium increases next year.
At stake are billions in payments to insurers with sicker customers.

In a weekend announcement, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services said the administration is acting because of conflicting court ruling in lawsuits filed by some smaller insurers who question whether they are being fairly treated under the program.The so-called “risk adjustment” program takes payments from insurers with healthier customers and redistributes that money to companies with sicker enrollees. Payments for 2017 are $10.4 billion. No taxpayer subsidies are involved.

The idea behind the program is to remove the financial incentive for insurers to “cherry pick” healthier customers. The government uses a similar approach with Medicare private insurance plans and the Medicare prescription drug benefit.

Major insurer groups said Saturday the administration’s action interferes with a program that’s working well.

The Blue Cross Blue Shield Association, whose members are a mainstay of Affordable Care Act coverage said it was “extremely disappointed” with the administration’s action.

The Trump administration’s move “will significantly increase 2019 premiums for millions of individuals and small business owners and could result in far fewer health plan choices,” association president Scott Serota said in a statement. “It will undermine Americans’ access to affordable coverage, particularly those who need medical care the most.”

Serota noted that the payments are required by law, and said he believes the administration has the legal authority to continue making them despite the court cases. He warned of “turmoil” as insurers finalize their rates for 2019.

America’s Health Insurance Plans, the main health insurance industry trade group, said in a statement that it is “very discouraged” by the Trump administration’s decision to freeze payments.

“Costs for taxpayers will rise as the federal government spends more on premium subsidies,” the group said.

Rumors that the Trump administration would freeze payments were circulating late last week. But the Saturday announcement via email was unusual for such a major step.

The administration argued in its announcement that its hands were tied by conflicting court rulings in New Mexico and Massachusetts.

Medicare and Medicaid Administrator Seema Verma said the Trump administration was disappointed by a New Mexico court ruling that questioned the workings of the risk program for insurers.

The administration “has asked the court to reconsider its ruling, and hopes for a prompt resolution that allows (the government) to prevent more adverse impacts on Americans who receive their insurance in the individual and small group markets,” she said.

More than 10 million people currently buy individual health insurance plans through HealthCare.gov and state insurance marketplaces. The vast majority of those customers receive taxpayer subsidies under the Obama-era health law and would be shielded from premium increases next year.

The brunt of higher prices would fall on solid middle-class consumers who are not eligible for the income-based subsidies. Many of those are self-employed people and small business owners, generally seen as a Republican constituency.

The latest “Obamacare” flare-up does not affect most people with employer coverage.

Back