Welcome To aBlackWeb

The Official DCU Thread

I just finished watching Batman vs Superman for the 1st time in a long time...

The movie had hella potential to be great but they screwed up big time on the Lex Luthor part of the film in my opinion. I also hated how he created Doomsday, which pretty much falls under the Lex Luthor area of the film. I felt his motivation in the film was kinda lame.

Wonder Woman stole the show in my opinion. Watching this again made me remember how bad ass her theme music is. As a matter of fact the score for Batman vs Superman is great overall. Lex Luthor's theme music is really good also to me.

I just finished watching Batman vs Superman for the 1st time in a long time...

The movie had hella potential to be great but they screwed up big time on the Lex Luthor part of the film in my opinion. I also hated how he created Doomsday, which pretty much falls under the Lex Luthor area of the film. I felt his motivation in the film was kinda lame.

Wonder Woman stole the show in my opinion. Watching this again made me remember how bad ass her theme music is. As a matter of fact the score for Batman vs Superman is great overall. Lex Luthor's theme music is really good also to me.

Luthor's motivation was to prove to the world that an alien godlike being with no political nor coercive restriction poses a threat to humankind. His comic book incarnations got the same motives since '84.

Luthor's motivation was to prove to the world that an alien godlike being with no political nor coercive restriction poses a threat to humankind. His comic book incarnations got the same motives since '84.

They did a crap job of conveying it in the movie. Lol.

I mean they touched on it for sure but it was done poorly in my opinion. Bruce Wayne's motivation on the other hand was done well in the movie.

They did a crap job of conveying it in the movie. Lol.

I mean they touched on it for sure but it was done poorly in my opinion. Bruce Wayne's motivation on the other hand was done well in the movie.

"A crap job" ??? It was literally and obstentatiously on our faces from the beginning to the end for three hours straight.

1) Lex Luthor introductory scene: barely two minutes in and he's already comparing both metahumans and Superman to gods of myths, werewolves and Communist dictators. Brandishes the necessity to use Kryptonite as a deterrent against the likes of the Man of Steel for the sake of global security.

2) Senator Flinch encounters Lex at the Luthor Mansion and calls him out about his duplicitous intents: *idiosyncratically and implicitly compares Superman to the British redcoats by quoting a famed romanticized cry-for-battle the colonists used during the American Revolutionary War, while taunting sardonically at the American Democracy's lack of greater-scale political focus and hypocrisy when confrontated to painstaking scenarios that overlaps the needs of the common American (one of the major reasons why the Anglo-Americans beefed up against the British was because the King of England condeded the territories west of the Appalaches to the native Americans, instead stirring up Anglo-American colonial expansionism. In-context, Luthor blames Democracy and the American Way or its hypocrisy and petty national ambitions, when a threat like Superman or the Kryptonians is not an "us-Yankees-versus-them" but an "us-Humans-versus-them" scenario) , tries rubbing Flinch's ginger hair while chatting and passive-agressively taunts and intimidates her about her upbringing, naiveté and relativelly-inferior intellect. Flinch effortlessly bites back with an more open jab about Lex being a duplicitous and power-hungry corrupt business mogul like so many others she saw coming at her during her career and compares his "socalled deterrent weapon" project to piss being called under the more flowery term of Granny's peach tea; but the latter one idiosyncratically traps her into an enigma about whether his deceased father's abusing him when he was younger or not (suggesting less tauntingly the the possibility he's deceased because Lex may have murdered him) , whether she should take Lex's words figuratively or literally or whether widespread religious assumptions about demons coming from the Hell below are wrong as they truly come to the skies above, as a way to flaunt the twisted (although wrong?) complexity of his acute mind.
*Keep in mind this keyword: Lex uses this speech pattern a lot all along the movie. A lot of Lex Luthor fans were irked at film director Zack Snyder and actor Jesse Eiseiberg about Lex's speech impediment and idiosyncraties being heavily reminiscent of the Batman villain Edward "Ed" Nigma/The Riddle. But let's remind you that according Eiseiberg, both Snyder and him intended to illustrate the comic-book supervillain's initial East German Jewish-ness, without making it a put-in-your-face case (likely for PR reasons and shun away from downright Antisemitic film tropes) . One common case of figure about Jewish humor is timeworn, cynical, acerbic, witty... and sometimes Biblical: in the sense it's up to you to figure out its subtleties, and to get whether one laugh with you or laugh at you and whether either case is proverbial or litteral. Lex Luthor, as well as Jesse Eiseiberg, are both agnostic non-practising Jews, although their ethnocultural heritage influences them a lot, intellectually and philosophically wise.

3) Lex Luthor's Night Charity Gala Event: sets a trap against Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent so they may confronts each other at the gala and stirs up the premices of a deep animosity-- knowingly aware that Clark wouldn't help himself but questioning the influential business mogul about the Dark Knight of Gotham's questionable actions, crimes and acts of terrorism, while Bruce couldn't help himself but arrogantly throwing jabs at Clark and slowly figuring out the man behind the glasses... and at the moment the two of them began to let nomverbal display of suspicions about each another starting to figure out each other's acting out a public persona, a half-triumpanthly gleeful Lex methodically interrumpts the warm-up, coyly greets each of them and passive-agressively taunts them about how none of them - especially Batman, the world's best detective with decades of experience - haven't figured out the trap to showcase his superior intellect, alludes to Clark's super-strength and how his disguise mastery and attempts to dampen his own force while acting under his civilian persona are still not enough, give a loud tap at the Daily Bugle reporter's chest and flatters his muscular build before alluding once again to him being Superman and, quote-unquote "not picking [him] up to a fight" in order to subliminally elicits a resentment between the two characters, especially Batman's twisted and vengeance-driven mind.
Moments later, he give his acceptance speech and, once again, idiosyncratically **gadflies at Superman while quoting the Prometheian Myth (comparing himself to the martyrized and benevolent Titan, and Superman to the Greek Skyfather God tyrannizing both gods and mortals) . His jab was also a deeply malicious intent to provocate Diana Prince who was present under his invitation too that night (although whether he was acknowledging Wonder Woman's paternal Olympian heritage or was simply trying to abrade at her feelings as a Pagan Amazon - a thing that Western folks likes to do whenever someone hailing from an exotic minority belief is around... let's not forget this movie is an allegory about immigrants, after all - remains ambiguous) .
But he lost his focus mid-course and squeaks half-hysterically for a second, after realizing how mankind's inherent, god-given quest for knowledge is paradoxical: since knowledge lead to more power and power to get even closer from godhood and thus from becoming the very Dragon he try slaying, as so he realizes all of a sudden - and denies - he's the one malevolent almighty TYRANT figure of the story, not the aseptized benevolent god-like philanthropic figure whiteknighting triumphantly at the rescue of mankind like he illustrates himself at the introductory scene.

WelltodoMellowCaterpillar-size_restricted.gif Cherry+Jolly+Rancher+in+Batman+vs.+Superman.gif IgnorantDeliciousGnatcatcher-size_restricted.gif
unnamed (5).jpg 20201006_220616.jpg
This scene hammers us once again that Lex Luthor is not the old-fashioned campy mad genius-business-mogul drawn straight up of a Roger Moore era 007 popcorn flickr like the one portrayed in Donner's Superman films, neither truthfully the grimdark coming-at-age fallen-Man/"Angel" figure we grew up along while watching 'Smallville' nor a Saturday Morning Cartoon Alec Baldwin-voiced jack-of-all-trades but an intricate, composite ode to every single of his previously famed comic book, film and television iterations starstruck by the Byronian Antihero complex and a very complex, polarizing, controversial although somehow relatable evil mind in full character evolution from a rookie within the corporate criminal underworld to the classical supervillain we all know and love to hate. And Jesse downplayed this part elegantly.
**If you're familiar with Biblical litterature, Near East & Egyptian mythologies, Greek mythology and Socrates, you know how deep of many senses the term "gadflies" implies. I didn't choose it for nothing: it fits well the philosophical, political and mythological underpinnings of the film...

4) "You know the oldest lie in America, senator?"

5) Senator Flinch realizes but way TOO LATE that when Lex means shit, he meant SHIT (also, he traps both Superman and Batman into a bloody emotional turmoil riddled with guilt and letters written with fire) .

Last edited:
6) Lex Triumphant: an artistic rendition of the 19th century French propaganda paint "Napoleon Triumphant" .
Besides an umpteenth ode amid many about Snyder's Arts & Literature background and morbid infatuation for both Renaissance, Classicist and Neo-Classicist Arts, the intent was also to illustrate Luthor's both Napoleon & God Complexes. For those who don't know, Napoleon was a French revolutiomary statesman and general of dual Italian-Corsican heritage who eventually went full Darth Vader after ascending into power and turned the young First Republique of France whose essential component of its population grew fed up with royalty, into a monarchical Empire much ironically. But Napoleon had also major ambitions that the former Capet-d'Anjou dynasty lacked: none only he wanted to revive French colonial imperialism at its glorious days (as well as black slavery and ethnic cleansings... Haiti, the Martinique, Egypt and Nubia never forgot) but he attempted to accomplish what none of the old houses of Europe nor the Greeks and Romans of Antiquity achieved: conquerring and uniting the whole of Europe under one single banner, his own. He straight-up titled himself "Emperor" , a royal titularship that only the royal descendants of Charlemagne and of Byzantine emperors may claims, spoke with and pitted against the old houses - whose ancestors were saint figures, crusader-kings, evangelized descendants of pagan heroes and demigods, eponymous barbarian warlords, patrician Roman figures, faeries, minor branches of the Davidic bloodline, Greek tyrants claiming themselves from the blood of Herakles Himself, and Mongol khans, and all esteemed themselves as superior to the rest of the races of Europe by their birthship and blood alone because they firmly believed that was the Christian God's will - and beat the shit of them all as equals! Yet, till that time he got the foolish idea to besiege Russia in the midst of winter while underesteeming the hatred both the English and the old houses had against him.
To sum up, a well-composed Lex ascends into the state of the ubërmensch and defies the proverbial sunset Sun-- God or Superman, that he will achieve what no mortal of great accomplishment, none even his late namesakes Alexander of Macedonia or his own father did: putting "God" down, disgrace the almighty MOFO before the very eyes of the whole world [because like Snyder told himself, Superman's primary archnemesis in BvS was neither Lex, nor U.S. politics nor even Doomsday or Steppenwolf from behind the shadows neither-- who were the overarching nemesises: but the medias] and proves himself being the benefactor of mankind whereas lies their fates against the alien threat. A somewhat Afrocentered analysis might even push forward the narrative that the same way Alexander was obssesed about overshadowing the accomplishments of both the pharaoh Sesostris (an African ruler that Napoleon HATED, because he nearly accomplished in Europe what he himself haven't done yet) , Dionysus and Herakles before his days while proving both his Hellenicity and divinity, or the same way that Bonaparte was somehow obssessed in a very Freudian, Oedipian fashion to get rid of its racially ambiguous ancestry (he held his surname from a 14th century Italy-born anoblished "Moor" and could equally count Alessandro del Medici, a bi-racial Afro-Italian scholar, within his genealogical roots) and proves his both white-ness and accomplishment as a whole man within the old houses, Luthor is an antitheistic agnostic Jew trying to get rid of the theological tribalism of his roots and of mankind as a whole and proves himself an even tru-er American and citizen of the world than both the narrow-minded goyishim WASPs and the rest of the global village by elimimating the closest thing from both a father figure (like the one who abused and broke him) and a God figure (like the imaginary amoral concept who never flinched a finger to protect him, a yet innocent member of the socalled Chosen People and human being, from the whims of a wicked man) , much ironically an illegal immigrant and far much regular everyman in tune with the rest of humankind that he would never be (and Space Jew) .
Screenshot_20201006-221935_Chrome.jpg

7) Lex creates Doomsday: after his mind absorbed/downloaded the summum of Krypton's intergalactic scale knowledge from Kal-El's shipwrecked scout ship and latter quotes, almost in tears and deeply shocked, Icarus's downfall in Greek mythology (which somehow mirrors Samael/Lucifer's downfall in Judeo-Christian mythologies, or Iblis's downfall in Islamic mythology; furthermore, it may be also a reference to the Fall of Men in both Abrahamic and Gnostic mythologies, as well as to the legend of Faustus and his downfall for the hubris of Faustian knowledge, or "Paradise Lost" who heavily marked the DCEU Superman Trilogy) .
This scene may additiobally echoes Mary Shelley's "Frankeistein" , who deals with an antiheroic protagonist who push his knowledge of modern medical progress and scientific innovations of its times off-mesh and taps into the border between these and occult, Faustian knowledge so he accomplish a succession of various immoral deeds in order to "create" a new individual breed of man from the flesh and bones of the dead, his Monster-- the Monster of Frankeistein being frequently compared to a Golem, Prometheus, Pygmalion's creation Galatea, Adam or Paradise Lost's iteration of Lucifer-- whilst Dr. Victor Frankeistein, in true Gothic science-romance antihero, continues to pay the karmic payoff from ever attempting to sidesweep God's nature.
Once again, Lex begrudingly admits - and denies - that he's falling in disgrace, becoming the one true devil figure the story-- even worst, the devilish pawn of even diabolic-er greater forces as the scene implies in a very cosmicist fashion that he has seen a uncanny, even sinister snippet of the truth behind the stars...

8) Lex encounters Lois Lane after he ordered KGBeast/Alexei Anatov and his cronies to kidnap her: Lois and Lex confronts each other, the latter one flirts a little and taunts her relativelly-inferior intellect (which is now undeniable, as Kryptonian technology enhanced his brain to truthfully peak supergenius IQ lenghts, on par with his comic book Ninth-or-Tenth Intellect-Level counterpart) after she accurately treated him of being "psychotic" (which is close from true although wrong, as coming at this point Lex's psychological profile is simply Hanibal-Lecter kind of eldritch: excrutingly difficult to pinpoint at... damn. And we're not even dealing with the Joker yet!) .
He passive-agressively intimidates her (as he did so to Flinch) , physically clutch her between his arms, pauses himself a little as he sniffs almost lustfully at her ginger hair (n****a got an unhealthy fondling into successful, influential, high-profile older fit ginger women of above-average IQ and strong character) as a form of bittersweet farewell, then quote Pythagorean hypothenuse calculation theories to indicate he's going to push her out of the skyscraper in order to lure her alleged lover Superman at her rescue before her body would hit the ground. Quite accurately and successfully.
To illustrate how fucked top his mastery of idiosyncratic speech is lit, n****a straight up quoted Pythagorus, a Hermeticist obssessed about finding the divine within the use of arithmetics and philosophical hindsight-- and whose hypothenuse theory was based upon Egyptian priests's calculations of the Great Pyramid of Khufu, one of many "stairways to Heaven" built by the Egyptians to get closer from the gods and never-perishing stars, ancestors of their pharaohs. Curiously, you find references about stairways to heaven twice in the Torah/Old Testament: one about the Tower of Babel smitten by the Hebraic God to punish humanity's vanity, then twice while the oeneiric scene of Jabob and the stairway prior fighting overnight an angel. A nod to the next scene and even sequel to come...
The point is, the same way ancient Kemetians attempted to get closer from Gods or Pythagorus from the Logos, Lex attempted to get closer from Kal-El.

9) "God is tribal! Horus, Apollo, Jehovah, Zeus. Kal-El, Clark Joseph Kent..."

10) "Now God is good... as dead."

11) When your fams come at the hood to celebrate the end of this quarantine, but homie is giving a Satanic Mass and communing with the Devil:

And at last, the magical number 12) "God is dead."

Last edited:
I always thought they were going for this version of lex... But it still wasn't close

luthorclone30.jpg

Fam tried to reinvent the character. I wasn't exactly feeling it either... But it also deserved more time to cook

@JohnSmithCAN

I appreciate you backing up your feelings against my statement but in my opinion Lex Luthor was still the worst character of Batman vs Superman. Lol.

I don't necessarily think Jesse Eisenberg was a bad choice but the way the character was written, was off to me. Maybe if he would've played the character more straight forward instead of being quirky, it would've resonated a bit more to me.

I still think even after your wall of text that his motivations in the movie was hella thin also. Lol. I understood what his motivation was but thought they did a poor job of showing why he was so vehemently opposed to Superman. They showed why Batman had beef with Superman early in the movie and he even succinctly stated it. Lex's so called motive is supposedly some what similar to Batman in that he doesn't trust a being with that much power but he creates a creature which he doesn't even know for sure if he can control at the end of the movie. LMAO.

Overall it was a movie that could've been a whole lot better if they would've tightened up Lex's part a bit more.

I always thought they were going for this version of lex... But it still wasn't close

luthorclone30.jpg

Fam tried to reinvent the character. I wasn't exactly feeling it either... But it also deserved more time to cook

He amalgamed Golden Age L.L. , Bronze Age L.L. , Post-Crisis L.L. , Alexander Luthor Jr. teenage Post-Crisis L.L. and Smallville L.L. into one single recognizable although wholly different character who befits the narrative of his films.

He wasn't the sole director to play with comic book material. Smallville Clark Kent in his later adventures was obviously an amalgalm between Miller's Earth-02 Superman, The Phantom and Batman Year One and only became Superman but at the series finale (after ten years!) . Arrowverse's Green Arrow is basically Green Batbale. Teen Titans cartoon's Robin was an amalgalm between Dick Grayson, Jason Todd and Deathstroke with some precocious Damian Wayne vibes. Ecetera, ecetera.

And don't let me start with MCU Spiderman.

@JohnSmithCAN

I appreciate the conversation man. You know your comics!

It's fun chatting about comics and the movies based on them. I don't know if we have a thread on the site about comics but if you started up one I would be interested to hear about what you and everyone else has been reading these days.

@JohnSmithCAN

I appreciate you backing up your feelings against my statement but in my opinion Lex Luthor was still the worst character of Batman vs Superman. Lol.

I don't necessarily think Jesse Eisenberg was a bad choice but the way the character was written, was off to me. Maybe if he would've played the character more straight forward instead of being quirky, it would've resonated a bit more to me.

I still think even after your wall of text that his motivations in the movie was hella thin also. Lol. I understood what his motivation was but thought they did a poor job of showing why he was so vehemently opposed to Superman. They showed why Batman had beef with Superman early in the movie and he even succinctly stated it. Lex's so called motive is supposedly some what similar to Batman in that he doesn't trust a being with that much power but he creates a creature which he doesn't even know for sure if he can control at the end of the movie. LMAO.

Overall it was a movie that could've been a whole lot better if they would've tightened up Lex's part a bit more.

That's the whole point about how Lex is psychotically vainglorious and envious of Superman. He embodies the darkest counterdictions of the pinnacle of Men's accomplishments, as so he has always been in the comics. The other Man of Tomorrow... a less obvious Bizzaro who sought to replace what he equally loathes.

Last edited:
Back