Welcome To aBlackWeb

HBO The Last of Us (No 2nd Game Spoilers!!)

Good article on why they went the route they went

“It came out of an interest I had in portraying Bill slightly differently, because the Bill section of the game was very much built around gameplay," Mazin tells us. "What fascinated me about Bill was that he was safe, that he had created this interesting little safe harbor in the world. Then my next question was, well, what happens to you if you're safe in this world? What next? Do you just stay there alone? What do you need? Why do you keep going? And I knew about the Frank storyline in the game, which, to me, sort of echoed the worst possible outcome for Joel.

“But I thought there was an opportunity [with episode 3] to go in a different direction and explore the passage of time between the outbreak and where we are now, and also create a relationship that worked,” Mazin continues. “A relationship that, in its duality, helped define some themes that we'll see over and over again [in the show] – two very different kinds of love. Somebody that loves outwards, and nurtures and protects and creates. And somebody that loves by protection through violence and preservation.

“I think the change [in episode 3] became very indicative of what we prioritized in this show,” he says. “In my mind, a lesser adaptation would have looked at the Bill sequence and said, ‘Oh, there's this epic, iconic moment where Joel steps into a snare trap and is upside down and Ellie has to get him out of the ditch. And then Bill shows up and Bill saves you and that's how you bond with him through this long action sequence.’ You're relying on each other and then, through in-game dialogue and a bunch of different things, we reveal a hint at this backstory and this relationship.

“But some of the brilliance of Craig is to say: that's not as important. That’s what would have been an important thing in the past, when you're adapting video games and looking at superficial aspects and thinking, ‘Oh, players want to see that gameplay moment.’ That's not what they want. They want the core of the heart of this experience. So when Craig said, ‘Let's focus on Bill and Frank instead of the set-piece, and do stuff that we couldn't do in the game, like jump around in time, and really show how people have survived over this 20-year gap’ – that’s a great counter-example of everything else we see [on Joel and Ellie’s journey]. That story is so beautiful and so moving.

After the first ep, I’m in. I’m just now gonna wait for the full season and binge it

Could have showed both. It's not like they had to an either or situation

Also I like seeing the gameplay moments too lol

Would’ve gone a long way in getting me invested in that character.

They put the cart before the horse. The whole point of a backstory is to flesh out a previously established character.

Make us invest and then be like… “I wonder what made him turn out this way?”

They just dropped the backstory in our lap without even establishing who he was.

To sum up my complaint:

“Yo who the fuck is Bill?!!”

I will say tho:

The internet has been surprising mature about this episode. I was for sure I was gonna be speed scrolling past a lot more bitching about gay agendas and wokeness

Bill has all these rare machine guns and military rifles… and he decides to stand in the middle of the road with fucking deer rifle to fight off the raiders? Like for real do better HBO and don’t turn this into walking dead.

also, what was the disease that his boyfriend had? A buddy of mine thinks it was aids but IDK

Bill has all these rare machine guns and military rifles… and he decides to stand in the middle of the road with fucking deer rifle to fight off the raiders? Like for real do better HBO and don’t turn this into walking dead.

also, what was the disease that his boyfriend had? A buddy of mine thinks it was aids but IDK

They were saying in the audio joint they didnt want to be specific but it couldve been something like ALS

After just watching ep3. This was actually better than the game. It actually gives people hope in this end of days world that you can find some type of happiness in it.

The game version was GOAT don't get me wrong but this was just better. Also fun fact I always hated the ending of TLOU game even though it's a great ending and if I was Joel I'd probably did the same thing BUT I wanted them to find a cure and start saving humanity because I like happy endings in horror games/movies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back