Welcome To aBlackWeb

The Cool is Lupe’s 3rd Best Album

I was hype for Gold Watch before it even came out & I still play it almost weekly
I didn't know what none of that shit was outside of the street fighter reference when I first heard it.

When I finally decided to read the lyrics and Google that shit, I was like, "tell niggas you stuntin on em without telling them you stuntin on em".

I didn't know what none of that shit was outside of the street fighter reference when I first heard it.

When I finally decided to read the lyrics and Google that shit, I was like, "tell niggas you stuntin on em without telling them you stuntin on em".

it took almost 10 years later for the culture to catch up/on to what he was talking about ie goyard, Junya Watanabe…

it took almost 10 years later for the culture to catch up/on to what he was talking about ie goyard, Junya Watanabe…
BIG FACTS!!

this is a prime example of when niggas be like "wtf is he talking about" but b/c you dont know off the rip what it is, you dismiss it as nerd shit

i've documented plenty of times on this site that I like the treasure hunt shit he does with his raps. I end up looking up a lot of the shit he references and be like damn, thats dope af.

why is it better than food and liquor?

“it was ahead of its time” what makes it ahead of its time?

No more Nas threads niggas discussion is back!

Not that it’ll change or your mind or even that I’m trying to but in comparison to Food & Liquor (which is like 1B to me) it’s a better put together record & he showcased his range as both a lyricist & an artist. It’s the same way how I view College Dropout vs Late Registration. The sophomore albums in this case was more polished & a bit more focused. But I don’t have F&L far behind of The Cool.

what makes it ahead of its time was that whole concept albums weren’t new, who was doing concept albums in the mainstream back in 2008? It may not be as loud of an influence but look at how some of the biggest artists create full fledge concept albums (Kendrick, Tyler come to mind)

Even some of the production on the album was hella different. In fact one could make the argument that if this album came out today it would be hold it’s own & wouldn’t sound out dated.

Not that it’ll change or your mind or even that I’m trying to but in comparison to Food & Liquor (which is like 1B to me) it’s a better put together record & he showcased his range as both a lyricist & an artist. It’s the same way how I view College Dropout vs Late Registration. The sophomore albums in this case was more polished & a bit more focused. But I don’t have F&L far behind of The Cool.

what makes it ahead of its time was that whole concept albums weren’t new, who was doing concept albums in the mainstream back in 2008? It may not be as loud of an influence but look at how some of the biggest artists create full fledge concept albums (Kendrick, Tyler come to mind)

Even some of the production on the album was hella different. In fact one could make the argument that if this album came out today it would be hold it’s own & wouldn’t sound out dated.

fair enough

you missed me with the bolded though

mostly because artists were doing concept albums during this time and also because I don’t think he even really hit the mark as far as making this a concept album

fair enough

you missed me with the bolded though

mostly because artists were doing concept albums during this time and also because I don’t think he even really hit the mark as far as making this a concept album

The Coolest
Streets on Fire
Hello/Goodbye
Put You On The Game
The Die

5 songs that deal directly with the story of Michael Young History.

Then those songs are surrounded by concept records:

Hip Hop Saved My Life
Gotta Eat
Intruder Alert
Little Weapon
Dumb It Down

This was a mainstream release on Atlantic Records in 2007. Kinda unheard of considering the landscape of rap in 2007.

The Coolest
Streets on Fire
Hello/Goodbye
Put You On The Game
The Die

5 songs that deal directly with the story of Michael Young History.

Then those songs are surrounded by concept records:

Hip Hop Saved My Life
Gotta Eat
Intruder Alert
Little Weapon
Dumb It Down

This was a mainstream release on Atlantic Records in 2007. Kinda unheard of considering the landscape of rap in 2007.
Missed the mark

Missed the mark

You truly believe that this nigga would have been allowed to make 19 songs strictly about Michael Young History for his second album on a major mainstream record label….in 2007?

Be for real. Nobody would have wanted that. The material is dense enough as it is.

You truly believe that this nigga would have been allowed to make 17 songs strictly about Michael Young History for his second album on a major mainstream record label?

Be for real.
I don’t see why not if the songs are entertaining and enjoyable. Also the concept that lupe came up with…did fans know exactly what was going on just by listening to the album without the help of the Internet?

I don’t see why not if the songs are entertaining and enjoyable. Also the concept that lupe came up with…did fans know exactly what was going on just by listening to the album without the help of the Internet?

Imagine being an fairly new artist on a mainstream record label in 2007. You got one successful album under your belt. You go into the label meeting to explain your plans for your next album and you tell them:

“peep this, I wanna create my second album based off one of the songs on my last album. Yeah! The one about the dead hustler zombie character! I wanna go deeper! I want to make a concept album based on that characters life BEFORE that song! But wait, there’s more! I want to also tie in the personification of the streets, you see! I want her to be a woman with green eyes, you feel me? She’ll have tattoos on her chest that memorialize old gangstas and shit like graffiti! And yeah! Also, I wanna personify The Game too! He’ll be this crack smoking dude with dice for eyes! My plan is to show how The Cool was influenced and pressured The Streets And The Game and imma make 19 songs to explain it all!”

Now…the people who control the money would probably look at you like you’re on drugs and tell you that sounds great but you gonna have to tone that idea down to make it marketable. Think of all rap albums that came out in 2007. Niggas was NOT making concept rap albums about zombies and shit. Get real man

Last edited:
Imagine being an fairly new artist on a mainstream record label in 2007. You got one successful album under your belt. You go into the label meeting to explain your plans for your next album and you tell them:

“peep this, I wanna create my second album based off one of the songs on my last album. Yeah! The one about the dead hustler zombie character! I wanna go deeper! I want to make a concept album based on that characters life BEFORE that song! But wait, there’s more! I want to also tie in the personification of the streets, you see! I want her to be a woman with green eyes, you feel me? She’ll have tattoos on her chest that memorialize old gangstas and shit like graffiti! And yeah! Also, I wanna personify The Game too! He’ll be this crack smoking dude with dice for eyes! My plan is to show how The Cool was influenced and pressured The Streets And The Game and imma make 19 songs to explain it all!”

Now…the people who control the money would probably look at you like you’re on drugs and tell you that sounds great but you gonna have to tone that idea down to make it marketable. Think of all rap albums that came out in 2007. Niggas was NOT making concept rap albums about zombies and shit. Get real man

Explain Atlantic’s involvement since 1st and 15th was his label as well. Did Atlantic handle distribution?

also lupe would not have to say any of this in the detail you wrote to Atlantic. Also “niggas was not making albums about zombies” lol that doesn’t mean it’s a Classic or ahead of its time per se

and you didn’t answer the most important question from my post

Explain Atlantic’s involvement since 1st and 15th was his label as well. Did Atlantic handle distribution?

also lupe would not have to say any of this in the detail you wrote to Atlantic. Also “niggas was not making albums about zombies” lol that doesn’t mean it’s a Classic or ahead of its time per se

and you didn’t answer the most important question from my post

“Lupe would not have to say any of this in the detail that you wrote to Atlantic”

Explain Atlantic’s involvement? Are you serious?

Yeah this conversation is over. You don’t know what you are talking about. I respect your opinion on you saying Ths Cool ain’t better than F&L tho.

“Lupe would not have to say any of this in the detail that you wrote to Atlantic”

Explain Atlantic’s involvement? Are you serious?

Yeah this conversation is over. You don’t know what you are talking about. I respect your opinion on you saying Ths Cool ain’t better than F&L tho.
Answer my question first before you conveniently run away

Beta, lupe has been VERY vocal about Atlantic's inability to see his vision and in fact made him scrap songs to make songs THEY thought would be more radio friendly

Superstar is a perfect example iirc

Beta, lupe has been VERY vocal about Atlantic's inability to see his vision and in fact made him scrap songs to make songs THEY thought would be more radio friendly

Superstar is a perfect example iirc
So even Atlantic even knew the shit wasn’t as digestible as F&L

btw when you gonna reply to the thread ?

Last edited:
So even Atlantic even knew the shit wasn’t as digestible as F&

btw when you gonna reply to the thread ?
i thought i did

after much deliberation, I actually agree with you. The Cool has some dope songs that I love, but i couldnt tell you the last time i listened to it from start to finish. I've defintely listened to T&Y, Drogas Waves, and a few loosies he's released here and there that didnt make the album. But i still think its a good album (the cool). Im not mad at saying its his 3rd best album.

Back