FEATURED The Club Shay Shay Thread

test
Nah, sorry. I'm not buying that. Monique isn't being silenced because she's large and dark-skinned. She's supposedly been blackballed because she's hard to work with and treats people poorly. She was criticized during the NetFlix fiasco because people felt she was overvaluing herself and didn't appreciate her trying to use the race card to explain why her perceived value and actual value didn't match up. She might have been given more credit if, when she got her special, she crushed it. However, most people that criticized her then feel justified now because her special was a lackluster as everyone said it would be.

The problem with her is that if she is calling out any issues, she's doing it in a self serving way, so it's hard for anyone to get behind her if they don't believe the way she is applying those issues to her own life is valid. Again, I don't think anyone doubts there might be some discrepancy in opportunities that black people (especially women) get in media. However, hardly anyone believed that Monique deserved Dave Chapelle or Chris Rock money from NetFlix, so when she blamed racism and sexism for her not getting that money, a lot of people were not willing to buy into that.

Naw if Amy Shumer and Rebel Wilson and Melissa Mccarthy are worth of getting paid millions for what they doing Monique deserves that pay rate too.

And one flopped special doesn't discredit what she's talking about

And if your point was accurate....NetFlix wouldn't have settled

She proved herself in her TV shows and her previous stand up was good....she headlined Queen's of Comedy.

Lol how much black people diminish other people experience...ur basically saying shut up and stop complaining... you didn't even listen or try to listen to the interview....you said she was babbling....never expected your take to be fair or make sense

Naw if Amy Shumer and Rebel Wilson and Melissa Mccarthy are worth of getting paid millions for what they doing Monique deserves that pay rate too.

She proved herself in her TV shows and her previous stand up was good....she headlined Queen's of comedy.

Lol how much black people diminish other people experience...ur basically saying shut up and stop complaining... you didn't even listen or try to listen to the interview....you said she was babbling....never expected your take to be fair or make sense
“ I didn’t know we had so many tender ppl in our community “-Mo’Nique

• Haha
Reactions: Maywood and Royal

She proved herself in her TV shows and her previous stand up was good....she headlined Queen's of Comedy.

Is NetFlix paying any of those chicks that kinda money for standup specials? If so, I'd agree with you, but those aren't the people she brought up when she was complaining about how much they were offering. She brought up Dave Chapelle, Chris Rock, and Tiffany Haddish.

I'm not commenting on what she said in this interview outside of what you summarized. Most of my post was addressing what she said previously. I gave her an objective ear before and found what she said in previous episodes to be ridiculous. She's already poisoned the well for me, so yeah I was up front and honest about my lack of desire to hear what she had to say this time. You can continue to take her seriously if you want, that's fine, but from the few clips I've seen, she's back to attacking and blaming other people. I don't need to see anymore.

Her having success with TV shows and standup a couple decades ago didn't entitle her to premiere money in 2020. And I'm not even sure what you mean by "NetFlix wouldn't have settled." Do you know for a fact that she was given the money she was complaining she didn't get? Or did she go back to the drawing board with them and negotiate rather than airing out the business on morning talk shows? You know like how all the comedians who have gotten good money from NetFlix said she should have done in the first place.

Reactions: onetoughmiracle
I wouldn’t call real sports analysis gossip.

Yea folks like SAS, Sharpe, and Skip do that but it’s legit sports analysis that talk about the game and not all that extra personal shit.

LOL right cause SAS coming out in a cowboy outfit everytime the cowboys lost isnt some extra shit and its legit adding to his sport analysis of the game

RIGHT

• Ether
Reactions: Maywood
Is NetFlix paying any of those chicks that kinda money for standup specials? If so, I'd agree with you, but those aren't the people she brought up when she was complaining about how much they were offering. She brought up Dave Chapelle, Chris Rock, and Tiffany Haddish.

I'm not commenting on what she said in this interview outside of what you summarized. Most of my post was addressing what she said previously. I gave her an objective ear before and found what she said in previous episodes to be ridiculous. She's already poisoned the well for me, so yeah I was up front and honest about my lack of desire to hear what she had to say this time. You can continue to take her seriously if you want, that's fine, but from the few clips I've seen, she's back to attacking and blaming other people. I don't need to see anymore.

Her having success with TV shows and standup a couple decades ago didn't entitle her to premiere money in 2020. And I'm not even sure what you mean by "NetFlix wouldn't have settled." Do you know for a fact that she was given the money she was complaining she didn't get? Or did she go back to the drawing board with them and negotiate rather than airing out the business on morning talk shows? You know like how all the comedians who have gotten good money from NetFlix said she should have done in the first place.

Screenshot_20240209_141529_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
People may not like how she went about it but to say oh no they didn't treat her bad or didn't talk about her looks or even say you don't belong her is ignorant

Hollywood and the entertainment business is extremely cutthroat and controlling.

How many Fat Black Comedians out here..... alot

Hmm how many Faizons out there.....alot

How many fat Black women Comedians are known or out there... a lot less

Sis is speaking truth and I ain't gotta be a big woman to hear her and relate and believe her

Ok, I'll give you that. Amy Schumer damn sure didn't deserve a big payday, but Monique was still right there comparing herself to Dave and Chris and acting like she was being underpaid because she was a black woman. Then in your article it says Netflix shut the negotiations down because Monique was protesting on terms of discrimination. You can't expect "good-faith" negotiations when you accuse the other side of discrimination just because the opening offer didn't match your expectations. Also, let's remember that when Monique as making that claim, Tiffany Haddish got a big Netflix deal. Did Monique congratulate Tiffany on a "win" for black women?

• Ether
Reactions: mike030270
Regardless of if you feel her pay demands are justified or not to dismiss and discount the fact that dark skin Black folks, especially fat/larger women, aren't subjected to less than treatment because of that is just ignoring not only history but the present as well. You may disagree with how Monique has gone about airing out her grievances, and I am on that side, but that doesn't mean you ignore what's long been an issue with how Black people get treated. I mean this the same industry that thought they could have a white woman play Rosa Parks. Its not outside the realm of possibility that those same people think less of a loud fat Black woman.

Reactions: SeaSnake
Nah, sorry. I'm not buying that. Monique isn't being silenced because she's large and dark-skinned. She's supposedly been blackballed because she's hard to work with and treats people poorly. She was criticized during the NetFlix fiasco because people felt she was overvaluing herself and didn't appreciate her trying to use the race card to explain why her perceived value and actual value didn't match up. She might have been given more credit if, when she got her special, she crushed it. However, most people that criticized her then feel justified now because her special was a lackluster as everyone said it would be.

The problem with her is that if she is calling out any issues, she's doing it in a self serving way, so it's hard for anyone to get behind her if they don't believe the way she is applying those issues to her own life is valid. Again, I don't think anyone doubts there might be some discrepancy in opportunities that black people (especially women) get in media. However, hardly anyone believed that Monique deserved Dave Chapelle or Chris Rock money from NetFlix, so when she blamed racism and sexism for her not getting that money, a lot of people were not willing to buy into that.

She didn't ask for Chris Rock and Dave Chappelle money.

This the thing that Black folks don't understand.

Black folks let other Black folks that have adopted the traits, mannerisms and tactics of predatory ass White people get away with murder.

Lol, we let the Oprahs and Tyler Perrys of the world shovel shit down our throats and celebrate them.

"Well, they are successful, why don't you like them?"

Why I'ma like a predator?

Then it's, "Well you are self-serving, you don't gotta air them out."

Am I slave, why would I not serve myself? Lol, if someone rob you, mistreat, you gonna hide in shame and quietly ask for recommence?

Black people have a hard time with reconciling the idea that other Black people will prey upon on you and you don't have to respect that shit.

There's Black people out here that only care about money and power and they'll prey upon other Black people to get it because White folks would put a foot in they ass and have them running.

Last edited:
She didn't ask for Chris Rock and Dave Chappelle money.

This the thing that Black folks don't understand.

Black folks let other Black folks that have adopted the traits, mannerisms and tactics of predatory ass White people get away with murder.

Lol, we let the Oprahs and Tyler Perrys of the world shovel shit down our throats and celebrate them.

"Well, they are successful, why don't you like them?"

Why I'ma like a predator?

Then it's, "Well you are self-serving, you don't gotta air them out."

Am I slave, why would I not serve myself? Lol, if someone rob you, mistreat, you gonna hide in shame and quietly ask for recommence?

Black people have a hard time with reconciling the idea that other Black people will prey upon on you and you don't have to respect that shit.

There's Black people out here that only care about money and power and they'll prey upon other Black people to get it because White folks would put a foot in they ass and have them running.

Bro, Monique specifically named Dave Chapelle and Chris Rock as examples of the money she thought she should have been making. She did that multiple times. Her whole argument against Netflix was basically "How can you offer me XX dollars when you're offering Dave Chapelle, Chris Rock, and a few others XXX dollars?"

I don't really know what any of the rest that stuff you're saying has to do with anything. My problem with Monique isn't that she's trying to advocate for herself. I don't even have a problem with her going at people she believes are troublesome. My problem with Monique is her blatantly ignoring a ton of nuances in the problems she identifies and then trying to make those issues all about race, sex, or appearance when they really might boil down more to who she is as a person and her reputation in the industry.

It's like if you have black person who is a known thief trying and failing to get a job at a bank and then claiming the bank discriminates against black people. Maybe the bank does discriminate against black people, but the thief is not the right person to levy that accusation.

I really think most black people just want to complain. Mo has not moved past this yet?

Lets make this clear. Her crying, Kat crying, Taraji crying won't change anything.

Get over it already and go do your thing like Tyler Perry did, Chappelle, Hart, Oprah etc. Its always the ones who did not make it cimplaining. Same with Hip-Hop

If they are not capable then they need to figure out their path as we all do. The thing that people always ignore is that not everybody makes it or succeeds regarldess of race, gender or sexuality.

We all know that blacks need to do more so what is anybody saying that we do not already know? Aso plenty of dark skin women have been successful in Hollywood.

Its common sense that more physically attractive women no matter the skin color will get pushed in any industry.

Its the same with men. The Rock, Jason Momoa, Ryan Reynolds, Denzel etc are not overweight so that effects men too.

Whoopi who is far from considered attractive had a great career and she is darskinned so that is not an excuse for Mo not succeeding.

She had her opportunity and had a show. Her time is just done then and she refuses to except responsibility and be accountable.

So what good will all this do? Its just making Shay richer who doing his thing and not complaining. Ironically Shay got layed off from Undisputed, but he landed on his feet. Why could Mo not do the same?