Welcome To aBlackWeb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude on my tl made a status about terminating his parental rights. Second time in a week I've heard that mentioned. I feel to even consider that as an option makes you terrible.
Better than treating the baby like he or she is worthless or possibly endangering he or she.

tumblr_oo9jzwoOax1r2pp2to1_500.gif

I can't say, I can see both sides of the argument, there's pros and cons. As you mentioned rap's popularity has exploded worldwide but with that you get the miley cyrus, katy perry, iggy azaela, post malone, types who come in and only use the genre to make themselves rich or stay relevant. How much are black artists making off of collabs idk, but it's an aspect glossed over in these discussions no doubt. Like, how much did T.I. make off of iggy after taking her under his wing and then helping her blow up, had to have been a grip.

I think once something becomes so big it's impossible to keep the vultures and opportunists out, it's just something that you have to deal with and at profit from it as much as you can, that strike it while it's hot. Cus at the end of the day, it's a career and it's all about the money in one way or another.
Yeah but I'm not limiting it to just music. Is it cultural appropriation when a black woman gets a perm instead of going natural, as much as a naturally thick white woman is for posting her backshots on IG, or a black man for wearing a three piece suit and Windsor knot over a dashiki?

Yeah but I'm not limiting it to just music. Is it cultural appropriation when a black woman gets a perm instead of going natural, as much as a naturally thick white woman is for posting her backshots on IG, or a black man for wearing a three piece suit and Windsor knot over a dashiki?

Cultural appropriation is only done by the dominant culture. At least that's how it's carried. Us wanting to fit into a white standard is coping.

tumblr_oo9jzwoOax1r2pp2to1_500.gif

I can't say, I can see both sides of the argument, there's pros and cons. As you mentioned rap's popularity has exploded worldwide but with that you get the miley cyrus, katy perry, iggy azaela, post malone, types who come in and only use the genre to make themselves rich or stay relevant. How much are black artists making off of collabs idk, but it's an aspect glossed over in these discussions no doubt. Like, how much did T.I. make off of iggy after taking her under his wing and then helping her blow up, had to have been a grip.

I think once something becomes so big it's impossible to keep the vultures and opportunists out, it's just something that you have to deal with and at profit from it as much as you can, that strike it while it's hot. Cus at the end of the day, it's a career and it's all about the money in one way or another.

I knew from day one Miley was gonna turn her back on "hip hop".

She's gonna end up doing country, do a duet wit her dad, and probably won't talk about her "hip hop" phase like Mark Wahlberg

Again, I can't completely say, but a couple of the examples listed are just black people fitting in/following the dominant cultures norms, having a suit or straightened hair can make a hell of a difference to how you're perceived in professional settings. Imo I think most black people in america are more accustom to suits over a dashiki anyway lol.

As for the thick white chick.......she's benefiting from the mainstream finally catching on to a black view of beauty standards

Cultural appropriation is when black women who have been rocking braids and cornrows since forever aren't given credit.

But when Kim Kardashian and her sisters rock it, it's the must have for the summer.

BITCH we been rocking braids and shit and now the shit cool cause some white hoes who got money rocking it?! GTFO!

Cultural appropriation is only done by the dominant culture. At least that's how it's carried. Us wanting to fit into a white standard is coping.
The hell...do you really believe that? A black woman putting relaxer in her hair is excuse for coping with what exactly?

Cultural appropriation is when black women who have been rocking braids and cornrows since forever aren't given credit.

But when Kim Kardashian and her sisters rock it, it's the must have for the summer.

BITCH we been rocking braids and shit and now the shit cool cause some white hoes who got money rocking it?! GTFO!
But Kandy we've been getting the credit. If not from ourselves from every white woman who runs across our

little black girls and asks our Queens did you do that - it's so pretty. So what's classified as credit - when social

media and People Magazine comes to the party late?

The hell...do you really believe that? A black woman putting relaxer in her hair is excuse for coping with what exactly?

Black women were looked down on for african hair the perm helped fix it to look more acceptable to whites. I thought everybody knew this.

But Kandy we've been getting the credit. If not from ourselves from every white woman who runs across our

little black girls and asks our Queens did you do that - it's so pretty. So what's classified as credit - when social

media and People Magazine comes to the party late?
I believe so.

Black women were looked down on for african hair the perm helped fix it to look more acceptable to whites. I thought everybody knew this.
I'm not talking about the excuse before desegregation. I'm talking about right now - TODAY. You still feel like

that excuse applies? That black women need a perm to "cope."

Does anybody else here go straight to the mixer on their computer when they get some new speakers or headphones to change certain frequencies?

I feel like way too many headphone/speaker companies have a bias towards maxing out the bass and neglect the midrange and it's cool for certain genres especially rap with the minimalism trend when it comes to beats but I find that it muddies others genres up giving them that "boomy" sound.

I'm not talking about the excuse before desegregation. I'm talking about right now - TODAY. You still feel like

that excuse applies? That black women need a perm to "cope."

Not as needed as before but history sets trends. Women just started openly being natural and proud like a decade and some change. Moms will still say a lil girl needs her hair a certain way

Not as needed as before but history sets trends. Women just started openly being natural and proud like a decade and some change. Moms will still say a lil girl needs her hair a certain way
I have little girls and I would never tell them anything close to what you're saying. My wife would never allow

my girls to feel like a relaxer is needed to allow you to cope with society, because society doesn't define you. No

more than I would tell my sons that they need to drive naked to not get shot by racist police officers. Racist

police officers don't need a reason. I would hope that your opinion doesn't filter to whatever youth you have in

your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back