Welcome To aBlackWeb

The 2020 Presidential Election Thread: Joe Biden is the 46th President of the United States

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ill say this Bernie hasnt done himself favors at all.. He is stubborn and stuck in his ways.. Its been one of my chief criticism since he became prominent

There are 3 things he could have done differently

Engage black voter, especially the older demo

Repeat the I know black bullet point every cookie cutter dem does

And change the branding
Profit

Ill say this Bernie hasnt done himself favors at all.. He is stubborn and stuck in his ways.. Its been one of my chief criticism since he became prominent

There are 3 things he could have done differently

Engage black voter, especially the older demo

Repeat the I know black bullet point every cookie cutter dem does

And change the branding
Profit

sooooo who do u vote for?

^^^^^^ THIS

source.gif

This shows Sanders mostly has kept the same energy, unlike a lot of the people today. Most people wont read this but w/e

While the Clintons have defended the 1994 crime law until quite recently, Sanders was always careful to point out that he saw the law as a compromise — and regularly stated his concerns with mass incarceration.
In 1994, for example, he said that he would support it because it included the Violence Against Women Act, which helped crack down on domestic violence and rape. Sanders said:

"I have a number of serious problems with the crime bill, but one part of it that I vigorously support is the Violence Against Women Act. We urgently need the $1.8 billion in this bill to combat the epidemic of violence against women on the streets and in the homes of America."
Earlier in the year, Sanders suggested that he did not see the tough-on-crime parts of the bill as the right solution to crime:

"It is my firm belief that clearly there are people in our society who are horribly violent, who are deeply sick and sociopathic, and clearly these people must be put behind bars in order to protect society from them.
But it is also my view that through the neglect of our government and through a grossly irrational set of priorities, we are dooming today tens of millions of young people to a future of bitterness, misery, hopelessness, drugs, crime, and violence. And, Mr. Speaker, all the jails in the world — and we already imprison more people per capita than any other country — and all of the executions … in the world will not make that situation right.
We can either educate or electrocute. We can create meaningful jobs, rebuilding our society, or we can build more jails. Mr. Speaker, let us create a society of hope and compassion, not one of hate and vengeance."
And in 1991, Sanders spoke out against tough-on-crime laws, particularly the 1991 crime bill, in another floor speech:

"Let us be honest: This is not a crime prevention bill. This is a punishment bill, a retribution bill, a vengeance bill.
All over the industrialized world now, countries are saying, "Let us put an end to state murder, let us stop capital punishment." But here what we're talking about is more and more capital punishment.
What we're discussing now is an issue where some of our friends are saying we're not getting tough enough on the criminals. But my friends, we have the highest percentage of people in America in jail per capita of any industrialized nation on Earth. We've beaten South Africa. We've beaten the Soviet Union. What do we have to do, put half the country behind bars?
Mr. Speaker, instead of talking about punishment and vengeance, let us have the courage to talk about the real issue: How do we get to the root causes of crime? How do we stop crime, which is in fact a very, very serious problem in this country?"
These last two speeches in particular showed a sentiment that Sanders has repeated during the 2016 campaign: To address the problems facing minority communities today, America will need to focus on far more than criminal justice policies — and offer significant economic opportunities in neighborhoods that have been abused and neglected for decades.

But in other instances, Sanders voted against tough-on-crime measures. He voted against the 1991 crime bill. He voted against banning Pell grants (for college) for prisoners. He voted to amend the 1994 crime law to ban the federal death penalty. And he voted against the Anti-Terrorism and Effective Death Penalty Act of 1996, which stripped defendants and prisoners of their ability to contest court rulings — even when the rulings may be unconstitutional.
But mostly, Sanders didn't really seem to care much about criminal justice policy. To him, the root of many of America's problems, including crime, has always been the economy and economic inequality in particular. The tough-on-crime push never fit into his ideals.

Clinton was genuinely a tough-on-crime politician
So how does Sanders's record and rhetoric compare with Clinton's?
Historically, Clinton has been much tougher and more punitive on crime. It wasn't until last year that she acknowledged that the 1994 crime law went too far. As recently as 2008, Clinton's campaign aides played the "soft on crime" card against then–presidential candidate Barack Obama by saying he's too liberal and out of touch for opposing mandatory minimum sentences.

"This bill would have put more police on the street, would have locked up violent offenders so they never could get out again, would have given more prison construction money available to the states and as well as the federal government, but also would have dealt with prevention, giving young people something to say yes to. It's a very well thought-out crime bill that is both smart and tough."
But Clinton has drawn particular ire for comments she made in 1996, when she said, "It's not just gangs of kids anymore. They are often the kinds of kids that are called superpredators — no conscience, no empathy. We can talk about why they ended up that way, but first we have to bring them to heel."

Looking back at this record is important because it can show how candidates will act in the future. If candidates who were supposed to represent liberals and progressives got caught up in Republican-led rhetoric about crime and incarceration, who's to say they won't if a crime wave occurs once again under their watch?
From that view, Clinton's full embrace of the tough-on-crime rhetoric becomes much more alarming, and Sanders's apparent resistance becomes a little more noteworthy.

what are joe’s policies? has he clearly stated them?
I mentioned them a few pages back

Expanding obamacare with a public option which is probably the best healthcare plan at this point

Various cost saving health care measures

Increased minimum wage

More federal money to underfunded schools

Decriminalizing marijuana at the federal level

Capping carbon emissions and investment in clean energy

120 billion dollar plan to combat opiod addiction (though focus needs to be on prevention)

Federal funds for reduction in college tuition

Restoring federal oversight on local police departments

Diverse federal court nominations (arguably most important)

Raising capital gains and investment taxes

Middle class tax cut

Thats just off the top of my head. Not as progressive as i would like (would like to see auto enrollment in medicare, equality of care, weapons spending reduction, partial elimination of student debt, a once every 5 year wealth tax on the mega wealthy, a progressive simplified tax code that ends loopholes, enforcement of online privacy laws, federal renters protection and housing costs sharing) but its ok. MUCH better than trump and has a much higher chance of actually getting done than whats bernies proposing.

Admittedly I dont 100% know everyones policy thats running, but I do know Bidens questionable stance on marijuana. And that alone makes me question everything he supposedly is for. To me this is just another game of 'Say w/e to win'.

From 11/19/2019
Former Vice President Joe Biden said Saturday that more study is needed to determine whether marijuana is "a gateway drug," making him the only one of the leading Democratic presidential primary candidates to oppose legalization on the federal level.
Biden – who said in 2010, "I still believe it's a gateway drug," and "legalization is a mistake" – was asked at a town hall in Las Vegas if his position had changed.
"No, it hasn't changed," Biden said. He explained that although he supports allowing states to determine their own marijuana policies, "the truth of the matter is, there has not been nearly enough evidence acquired as to whether or not it's a gateway drug."

This story is from 11/21/2019

In an otherwise lackluster debate, former Vice President Joe Biden faced withering criticism Wednesday night for his stance on an issue that puts him way out of whack with the rest of the field: marijuana.
“This week I heard him literally say I don't think we should legalize marijuana. I thought you might have been high when you said it,” Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.) said to rolling laughter in Atlanta. “Marijuana in our country is already legal for privileged people.”
So what does Biden's plan really say?
Biden supports shifting marijuana from Schedule I to Schedule II — a less restrictive category under the Controlled Substances Act. In its current place as a Schedule I drug, marijuana is defined as having “no currently accepted medical use” and “a high potential for abuse.” By shifting it to the less restrictive category, the federal government would maintain the stance that marijuana has a “high potential for abuse” but also recognize the drug’s potential medical uses. Other drugs classified as Schedule II include cocaine and fentanyl.
How would that work?
Cannabis advocates of all stripes say they are confused by Biden’s stance. They say they don't understand how Biden’s rescheduling plan squares with his criminal justice goals or resolves the federal-state conflict, given that plenty of people still go to jail for Schedule II drugs like cocaine.

Then him backtracking in a story from 11/26/2019

Last week, 2020 frontrunner Joe Biden inspired a great deal of outrage when he said at a Las Vegas event he wasn't sure if weed should be legalized nationally.
In response to a question from Nevada Independent reporter Megan Messerly about the criticism he got, Biden first said that he didn't claim pot was a gateway drug, just that "some say" it is (this is not quite what he said). He then emphasized that he wanted to move cannabis policy in a more progressive direction: "First of all it should be totally decriminalized, number one. Number two, anyone who has been convicted of an offense or using pot, their record should be wiped totally clean." He went on to describe his hesitance to fully legalize the drug:

This isn't the first time Joe Biden has had to clean up something Joe Biden has said—in June he had to reverse his support for a federal ban on funding abortions after widespread criticism—but in this case it's very helpful to have him spell out his position. It makes clear that he's not especially progressive when it comes to weed.

And now this article from a few days ago 3/6/2020. Hes frustrated people still think, he thinks that this is a gateway drug, but...at the same time implies its a gateway drug. Like BRUH

And just days after that, Biden reversed himself on the cannabis question, telling reporters on a conference call that “I don’t think it is a gateway drug.”

“There’s no evidence I’ve seen to suggest that,” he said.

Later, in an interview with the New York Times editorial board published in January, Biden again emphasized he no longer thought marijuana is a gateway drug but added that “there have been studies showing that it complicates other problems if you already have a problem with certain drugs.”

Last edited:
So while looking for his stance on marijuana, I stubbled across this quote of his on that infamous drug bill. Can someone plz correct if I'm wrong, but did he say he regretted the bill because of what it did to POC. Then at the end, lowkey say that it wasnt the bills fault that there was mass incarceration for POC?
If anyone can clear that up for me, please do.

Mr. Vice President, former Mayor Michael Bloomberg has apologized for his record on stop-and-frisk and the decisions that he made in that policy. Just asking for a little bit of self-reflection here. Is there anything that you have changed your mind about, specifically related I would say to your record, or your thinking, your personal views, on race or busing or anything over the years?

No, not on race or busing because I think you’ve all been kind of shocked how much black support I have. Overwhelming black support in my home state. Overwhelming black support with the Black Caucus. Overwhelming black support with the black community because they know me. I’ve never been ashamed of anything I’ve done. I’ve fought for the African-American community and fought for them my entire career.

I made a big mistake in the criminal justice side when I — it’s easy to forget it now — but when, all of a sudden, crack was introduced as a great threat to the United States of America. And the guy who did it is a great guy, Daniel Patrick Moynihan, he pointed out it was coming from the Bahamas, and this was going to —
To clarify, Senator Moynihan did not introduce crack to the United States. He wrote a report, in 1965, titled “The Negro Family: The Case for National Action,” also known as the Moynihan Report. In it, he argued that black families had been “battered and harassed by discrimination, injustice, and uprooting” and were in a state of crisis. Because the report made no formal policy recommendations, it was widely misunderstood to put blame on black families themselves, rather than broader systems of racial discrimination. (Updated) Representative Tom Malinowski, Democrat from New Jersey, told The Times that when he worked for him in 1988, Mr. Moynihan “proselytized senators that year about how the crack epidemic was devastating low-income communities,” serving as a proponent of the antidrug legislation passed that session.
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazin...mily-in-the-age-of-mass-incarceration/403246/ (A good read for those of you that do read..)

And you had medical folks at the time saying, well, crack, because it immediately penetrates the membrane of the brain and it goes straight to the brain, it’s going to have this long-term effect. So we bought on to the idea that crack somehow should be punished much more significantly than, in fact, powdered cocaine. Well, what it meant was somebody snorting powder in the party you guys go to.

I don’t mean you. [LAUGHTER] But wealthy neighborhoods, wealthy neighborhoods. If they were to get arrested, which they don’t in the first place, but if they get arrested, they get a sentence that’s 100 times less than someone is getting convicted of crack. You buy a nickel, anyway. And so from the time we passed that, two years after, I’ve been trying to change it and have been unable to do it. Barack and I got it down to 10 to one from a hundred to one. It should be zero.

But it’s put a lot of people in jeopardy, put them in jail, and it’s had a disproportionate impact on minority communities, particularly African-American communities. I sorely regret that. We’ve also learned a lot more about drug abuse overall. It used to be that we thought — I’ve spent a lot of my career in the Judiciary Committee dealing with this issue. We used to argue — and you tell me when I’m going longer than I should — we used to deal with it in terms of we thought that mental illness was a product of drug abuse. It’s the reverse. Mental illness is the reason for drug abuse. It’s not the reverse. And that’s why, when I wrote the crime bill that everybody for a while there thought that was a massive reason for massive incarceration, which it wasn’t, I might add. But what happened was I put in that bill, at the time, drug courts to try to divert anyone arrested for a drug offense to a drug court for rehab, not to go to jail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back