Welcome To aBlackWeb

Should Our Kids or Kid's Kid Have to Grind

I feel you.

Is it safe to say, that (black) kids for the most part turn to selling drugs because their parents didn't setup a good platform for them?

If the platform is setup, meaning that, that child doesn't have to sell drugs or work 2 or 3 jobs, are we breaking the "grind gotta get it" cycle?
Check out Biggie Smalls.

At Queen of All Saints Middle School, Wallace excelled in class, winning several awards as an English student. He was nicknamed "Big" because of his overweight size by age 10.[11] He said he started dealing drugs when he was around the age of 12. His mother, often away at work, did not know of her son's drug dealing until Wallace was an adult.[12

The problem is usually the broader environment, the neighborhood, the friend circle, the school. The household is just one part. U can have a supportive, encouraging family n still fall into the wrong crowd or problematic behaviors.

I dont do fairly well for shit, im broke as a motherfucker. I wish i had some kids so i could send their little asses mowing yards and doing paper routes and collecting 50% of their shit

Check out Biggie Smalls.

The problem is usually the broader environment, the neighborhood, the friend circle, the school. The household is just one part. U can have a supportive, encouraging family n still fall into the wrong crowd or problematic behaviors.

To aid Biggie a bit, Could you say and predict that Biggie would have to work 2 or 3 jobs?

Take out the rap career, and I don't know, this just me talking/barbershop/hair salon talk, but do you think Biggie's mom was setting a platform up for Biggie for when he reached the age of 18 or a working age?

I feel you.

Is it safe to say, that (black) kids for the most part turn to selling drugs because their parents didn't setup a good platform for them?

If the platform is setup, meaning that, that child doesn't have to sell drugs or work 2 or 3 jobs, are we breaking the "grind gotta get it" cycle?
naw kids sell drugs for a number of reasons......

a main one is cuz they don't believe in alternatives....

when you poor....like real poor...you don't want to be.....so to them the most realistic way is to hustle......

a lotta of them when they learn of other ways to make money, that make sense, and they actually believe it can work they'll stop...

but those skeptical that nothing else will work for them stay hustling out of fear of going back to nothing.....

i personally never sold drugs cuz i was scared my mother would kill me...and she always told me that if for any reason i got locked up she ain't bailing me out

Didn't read the thread but based on the title....yes

Everybody should have to grind for what they want, it builds character and it makes a person appreciate what have because they put in effort to acquire it. Not saying you shouldn't help your child, nephew, niece etc. along and afford them the best opportunities but you shouldn't let them go through life without an appreciation for hard work.

By the way I got this topic from David Banner,

start @ 29:03

Thoughts??

This is dumb as hell, my ears r bout to bleed.

Does he not get that the generational wealth possessed by white people came into their possession far more easily than it would a black person? It's a basic element of the concept of white privilege.

He talkin like this shit's a coincidence n they got that shit on merit.

We can still create generational wealth but it isn't helping shit to act like institutional racism wasn't a factor in why black people r more likely to be impoverished n least likely to have generational wealth.

The chick countering him hit the nail on the head. He's simplifying like a muthafucka.

To aid Biggie a bit, Could you say and predict that Biggie would have to work 2 or 3 jobs?

Take out the rap career, and I don't know, this just me talking/barbershop/hair salon talk, but do you think Biggie's mom was setting a platform up for Biggie for when he reached the age of 18 or a working age?
What I will say, is that he excelled academically in school and had educated parents. His mother didn't even know he was dealing till he was an adult Statistically, had he been a white boy, he would likely have benefited from social mobility. White boys in college deal coke all the time, yet it's brushed aside as a blip or character building moment in their past as the go onto corporate careers.

Since we're removing variables from the equation, let's say he kept his head in the books n didn't fall into the wrong crowd. What do you think he would've gone on to do?

Didn't read the thread but based on the title....yes

Everybody should have to grind for what they want, it builds character and it makes a person appreciate what have because they put in effort to acquire it. Not saying you shouldn't help your child, nephew, niece etc. along and afford them the best opportunities but you shouldn't let them go through life without an appreciation for hard work.

It's not about the kids not wanting to grind, it's about the kids having to grind as a force.

Should it be easier for your kid to obtain what they want, than how it was for you or your grandfather.

You have kids out here, working harder than what their grandparents work, so I was asking should it be that way? well I took from what David Banner stated in the clip posted on post #22

Does he not get that the generational wealth possessed by white people came into their possession far more easily than it would a black person? It's a basic element of the concept of white privilege.

We can still create generational wealth but it isn't helping shit to act like institutional racism wasn't a factor in why black people r more likely to be impoverished n least likely to have generational wealth.

The chick countering him hit the nail on the head. He's simplifying like a muthafucka.

What I will say, is that he excelled academically in school and had educated parents. His mother didn't even know he was dealing till he was an adult Statistically, had he been a white boy, he would likely have benefited from social mobility. White boys in college deal coke all the time, yet it's brushed aside as a blip or character building moment in their past as the go onto corporate careers.

Since we're removing variables from the equation, let's say he kept his head in the books n didn't fall into the wrong crowd. What do you think he would've gone on to do?

No problem with your post, I agree about the generational wealth and whites having a 50 yard head start.

reminds me of a walter mosley book i read "Rose Gold"

basically there was a black kid in the story who was a great method actor.....he'd get a personality or a role in his head, and was so convincing he would spend months int hat character and running with a crowd who truly believed this was truly him.....

then he'd switch it up and become a totally different person....

the protagonist was like...if dude was white with a talent like that....he'd be a millionaire....but because he's black, he's now a wanted criminal

I think he would have to start from ground zero and what I mean, he would have to setup his own empire instead of building off his parent's empire.

He would have to absorb his own resources/knowledge to start and create his own world, instead of maybe using some of his parents resources and outlets to help aid him setup his own world/lane.

He wouldn't be building/jumping off the steps that his parents would have created, he would be starting from the ground level trying to build his own steps.

Thoughts?

I think he would have to start from ground zero and what I mean, he would have to setup his own empire instead of building off his parent's empire.

He would have to absorb his own resources/knowledge to start and create his own world, instead of maybe using some of his parents resources and outlets to help aid him setup his own world/lane.

He wouldn't be building/jumping off the steps that his parents would have created, he would be starting from the ground level trying to build his own steps.

Thoughts?
you talking about biggie?

it was his personality and his wit that made him millions....

as a black man, a poor black man....that kinda socially pleasing personality and natural wit is very limited....

Big always said he woulda been a comedian.... but it's almost inevitable he got into drug dealing.....he wa a natural sales man.....that's what sales is....personality.....

dude would have to be in some sort of position where that charm, wit, and intelligence shined....he wasn't a natural business man like puff......

naw kids sell drugs for a number of reasons......

a main one is cuz they don't believe in alternatives....

when you poor....like real poor...you don't want to be.....so to them the most realistic way is to hustle......

a lotta of them when they learn of other ways to make money, that make sense, and they actually believe it can work they'll stop...

but those skeptical that nothing else will work for them stay hustling out of fear of going back to nothing.....

i personally never sold drugs cuz i was scared my mother would kill me...and she always told me that if for any reason i got locked up she ain't bailing me out

Should a kid be upset at a parent if that parent dies and doesn't leave anything behind?

Black folks (some) have a habit of leaving nothing behind but bills and outside kids Lol

It's not about the kids not wanting to grind, it's about the kids having to grind as a force.

Should it be easier for your kid to obtain what they want, than how it was for you or your grandfather.

You have kids out here, working harder than what their grandparents work, so I was asking should it be that way? well I took from what David Banner stated in the clip posted on post #22
I personally don't think they should, every generation should be an improvement over the last but the world doesn't work like that

Should a kid be upset at a parent if that parent dies and doesn't leave anything behind?

Black folks (some) have a habit of leaving nothing behind but bills and outside kids Lol

poor kid or privileged kid?

poor kid shouldn't expect shit......

you talking about biggie?

it was his personality and his wit that made him millions....

as a black man, a poor black man....that kinda socially pleasing personality and natural wit is very limited....

Big always said he woulda been a comedian.... but it's almost inevitable he got into drug dealing.....he wa a natural sales man.....that's what sales is....personality.....

dude would have to be in some sort of position where that charm, wit, and intelligence shined....he wasn't a natural business man like puff......

Yea, we was just speaking hypo about his situation.

What you stated, do you feel his parents should have had some resources/savings/outlet for Biggie when he reached that age to help aid him to become a comedian or sales man?

poor kid or privileged kid?

poor kid shouldn't expect shit......

Why you state that the poor kid shouldn't expect it?

Should it be on the parent to wanna leave something behind to help aid the poor kid other than debt maybe when their gone?

Wouldn't that be putting/keeping that poor kid in the same box as his poor parent?

I personally don't think they should, every generation should be an improvement over the last but the world doesn't work like that

Again, can we say the world? or can we say black ppl's world and again, I believe in my heart that every black parent wants their kid to do better and live a better life than them, but my question would be, What are you doing to make this happen? again is it the world keeping that parent/grandparent to not set their child up or is it excuses?

Back