• Total voters
1st one is hard af

2nd one nope

3rd one is aight....would play it for nobody if I was trying to catch them

riding thru the rest of the thread before i start dropping shit for no reason
you bars niggas gotta run this one time

i didnt even notice cuz it dont jam folk....never wanted to bob my head once

Whaaat?

Yeah see I understand the difference. East coast rap was driven by lyrics, south was always more about the vibe. I get it. It's just wild to see some1 say "Dropping gems" is wack.

This post is the reason why 50 went to Cali to fuck with Dre, why Fat Joe went to ATL to fuck with Lil' John and Jay Z went to Va to fuck with Timbo. I already said that east has always had the worst beats and this post explains why. Nobody wants to listen to that Wu-Tang, Sniff and Wesson Coco Brothers grimmy non musical awful ass shit. Sonically the majority of their productions are fucking awful. Most of that shit just doesn't sound good period point blank. Who the fuck wants to listen to unlistenable music????

Can’t agree with this fully. Whole party songs wise that ain’t the lane that old grimey shit was cool

I was a lil ass kid and he had sold about 4 and a half albums before the name change, why DF would i know that? lol
I was being serious sir. It wasn't a trap like I said

I guess my point was going to be the power of marketing, so without me using Google, let me see if this old brain can get something right

No limit had the best marketing for their artists. You may have never heard a song before the album came out but you know once you got through the album sleeve, there was two plates dedicated to projects coming soon

Soulja first made an appearance on Down South Hustlers as Magnolia Slim with a song called You got it. He wasn't a NL artist at the time.

FF, he reappears as Soulja slim on the "I got the hookup" soundtrack with from what I was told. That same song was the lead single on his NL debut "Give it to em Raw". This album featured You got it pt 2 btw.

So I'm trying to figure out what made you buy the cassette from someone you hadn't previously heard of but decided to give them a chance anyway since your claim is that you listened to everything growing up.

No troll. Legit question

I was being serious sir. It wasn't a trap like I said

I guess my point was going to be the power of marketing, so without me using Google, let me see if this old brain can get something right

No limit had the best marketing for their artists. You may have never heard a song before the album came out but you know once you got through the album sleeve, there was two plates dedicated to projects coming soon

Soulja first made an appearance on Down South Hustlers as Magnolia Slim with a song called You got it. He wasn't a NL artist at the time.

FF, he reappears as Soulja slim on the "I got the hookup" soundtrack with from what I was told. That same song was the lead single on his NL debut "Give it to em Raw". This album featured You got it pt 2 btw.

So I'm trying to figure out what made you buy the cassette from someone you hadn't previously heard of but decided to give them a chance anyway since your claim is that you listened to everything growing up.

No troll. Legit question

Most of the cassettes I got till this day I first got from my unc. My unc had thousands of cassettes and cds and every other weekend I would go to my unc/grandma's house and leave with a shopping bag full of cds and tapes and go home and listen to em. I was lucky enough to have an unc who would introduce me to 8ball and MJG and then put me onto Suga Free for example.

By the time i started buying my own music around 99 I was already conditioned to listen to all regions and to give everything a chance.

So to go back to your question, that's why I would listen to somebody I've never heard before.

But now let me ask you a question. Lets say Soulja never made it to NL and continued to only sell 20k copies every album. Can he objectively be the king of hiphop if only the niggas in his local area heard him?

Most of the cassettes I got till this day I first got from my unc. My unc had thousands of cassettes and cds and every other weekend I would go to my unc/grandma's house and leave with a shopping bag full of cds and tapes and go home and listen to em. I was lucky enough to have an unc who would introduce me to 8ball and MJG and then put me onto Suga Free for example.

By the time i started buying my own music around 99 I was already conditioned to listen to all regions and to give everything a chance.

So to go back to your question, that's why I would listen to somebody I've never heard before.

But now let me ask you a question. Lets say Soulja never made it to NL and continued to only sell 20k copies every album. Can he objectively be the king of hiphop if only the niggas in his local area heard him?
That's a strong reach by you and I don't feel it's apples to apples comparison

I would never consider him the king of hip hop in the first place though to even have a discussion about him

Like I fuck with juvenile HEAVY but he's not a top 5 emcee. Underrated af, but not top 5 or top ten as a consensus. But he's in my personal top 5-10

It's not like ugk is MF Doom or tech 9 though

That's a strong reach by you and I don't feel it's apples to apples comparison

I would never consider him the king of hip hop in the first place though to even have a discussion about him

It's not like ugk is MF Doom or tech 9 though

You say that but UGK and Tech 9's #s aren't that far off from eachother and that's my point fam.

As much as you try to downplay sales, they play a part. Nobody's saying it's all about sales, but to act as if sales don't matter at all is ridiculous.

You say that but UGK and Tech 9's #s aren't that far off from eachother and that's my point fam.

As much as you try to downplay sales, they play a part. Nobody's saying it's all about sales, but to act as if sales don't matter at all is ridiculous.
I'm not putting as much emphasis as you do because sales don't tell the entire story

As a collective group, ugk isn't some second or third tier group.

Back