Pusha T - Infrared Vs. Drake - Duppy Freestyle

• Pusha T

Votes: 98 73.7%
  • Drake

Votes: 35 26.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pop music has ALWAYS been written by a committee of writers. Even though some classic rap was written by others (ie: Sugarhill Gang, Biz Mark) for the most part hip hop is a genre were most artists have prided themselves in conceptualizing their own lyrics. With that said hip hop has been straight up pop for the greater half of the 2010s so it makes sense that it's now packed to the brim with ghostwriters.

I agree with part of the post, loads of great pop stars have had writers, from MJ, Mariah to Elton John etc they also cover songs too, but one of the key things is they have GREAT singing voices that over shadows the fact they didnt write the songs, singing is totally different to rap... Hip Hop to me is about about being a wordsmith, being singer isnt, its about being a great singer...

My view to rappers who are pop stars, like say Drake for example, who have ghostwriters is... thats cool but dont come over to the purist HIP HOP side of the pond and start claiming that youre one of the top tier rappers too, because imo you cant be both a pop star and hip hop star UNLESS you write your own songs too

Thats not to say you cant enjoy their (pop rappers) music though, even if they dont write their songs, sonically they can have music thats dope and a dope flow, but if they dont write their songs I just cant rate them in the hip hop 'great' list, as hip hop is similar to poetry, its about having the talent and skill of expressing your views, feelings etc

You dont rate a poet who doesnt write their own poetry do you??? So for me that includes hip hop/rappers too...

A lot of hip hop “fans” looking funny in the light to me now

The little to no reaction to that blackface is crazy to me.

But all around the net and even on this very forum

Its “fuck Koonye, he not getting my money”

when Scorpion drops we wont see that same energy

Wild inconsistent man

Once he gave his explanation for the black face that nullified it.

Once he gave his explanation for the black face that nullified it.

Which was BS....especially with no evidence of his advocacy and passion for the treatment of black actors since that photo shoot. Seems like people are bypassing that fact to give him a pass

Meanwhile, Kanye gave his explanation of his train of thought...on both the MAGA photo and his comments regarding slavery...and black folks...hip hop said “nah, fuck you Koonye”

Not excusing his actions cause they were/are problematic and damaging. I understand his line of thinking is logical at a surface level...what Kanye lacked was considering the nuance of the black experience in America...in addition to giving that commentary on THAT platform.

I feel black folks and hip hop could have and should have responded with the same grace we are with Drake...who unlike Kanye has ZERO track record of social awareness by word or deed.

Which was BS....especially with no evidence of his advocacy and passion for the treatment of black actors since that photo shoot. Seems like people are bypassing that fact to give him a pass

Meanwhile, Kanye gave his explanation of his train of thought...on both the MAGA photo and his comments regarding slavery...and black folks...hip hop said “nah, fuck you Koonye”

Not excusing his actions cause they were/are questionable. I understand his line of thinking is logical at a surface level...what Kanye lacked was considering the nuance of the black experience in America...in addition to giving that commentary on THAT platform.

I feel black folks and hip hop could have and should have responded with the same grace we are with Drake...who unlike Kanye has ZERO track record of social awareness by word or deed.
We all know it’s bs but once he put out that statement I knew what time it was, it was a strategic move on his part. People like Drake more than Kanye today so he’ll get more passes. That’s just how double standards work sometimes.

Just a few random thoughts..

Pusha T album is dope as fuck,
and the production is immaculate,
in the 90’s/early 00’s Jay would’ve took all them beats for himself,
I can hear Hov on most of them beats..

Man I hope Ye bless Nas with beats like the beats on Daytona..

Ye deaded the Pusha/drake shit cause it’s overshadowing/taking shine/attention away from his album release..

anybody remember when Nicki Minaj wore a “fried chicken” necklace ??

1219529-nicki-minaj-iheartradio-potw-617-409.jpg

Who remembers when Lil Wayne shit on “Black lives matter” ??

And now in 2018 pictures of drake in black face are exposed.. SMH..

drake-blackface.jpg

Seem like young money are repeat offenders when it comes to cooning !!

Not excusing his actions cause they were/are problematic and damaging. I understand his line of thinking is logical at a surface level...what Kanye lacked was considering the nuance of the black experience in America...in addition to giving that commentary on THAT platform.

The don’t hear you bruh

Drake makes ‘fire’ music so that’s that......

A lot of hip hop “fans” looking funny in the light to me now

The little to no reaction to that blackface is crazy to me.

But all around the net and even on this very forum

Its “fuck Koonye, he not getting my money”

when Scorpion drops we wont see that same energy

Wild inconsistent man

Couldn't have said it better myself... great post!

Especially when the Cash Money roster has a history of doing this questionable "fuckshit".

Now that mainstream media has latched on to this "beef", I'm sick of the misreporting going on.

First of all, the Lil Wayne / Pusha T beef didn't start just because Lil Wayne wore BAPE clothing in a photoshoot. It started because Baby/ Slim and them jacked Pharrell and the Clipse out of their money and royalities (i.e. "What Happened to That Boy") and then turned around and jacked their whole "Virginia swag" adding insult to injury. If you follow the progression then you see how Drake swagger-jacked a hundred people the same way (this is why the Weeknd never signed to YMCMB, that "Cha Cha Cha" guy (Hotline Bling) or a bunch of those "Grime" cats from England feel used by Drake).

Second of all, mainstream media is trying to spin those "blackface" photos into some sort of radical stand taken by Drake. Oh, Drake is X-Clan or Public Enemy now? Name one song Drake has made where he speaks on any social or political issues. Pusha T was well within his rights to call him out on this. Even when Nas and Kelis were wearing their infamous outfits to the Grammys, I thought that was a bad look regardless of intentions.

Maybe it would help if Pusha didn't do interviews saying his issue wtih Wayne started when Wayne said some shit in an interview about the Clipse when asked about Bape clothes...cuz he did say that on Flex last week

Pharrell and the Clipse are still scared to call out Baby/Slim directly on the money they owe them.

Pusha T hinted at it on his diss records but more about how Wayne and Drake aren't getting paid...

Also truth be told the way these dudes been forced to turnover projects to stay relevant they may need all the help they can get. I myself have been penning a song now for the last 3 weeks. All I have is the first verse and the hook with a treatment for the first 8 bars of the 2nd verse. After almost a month.

Now I pride myself in having a natural poetic flair which helped me pen lyrics that made all my friends go "that shit is fire!" but it took a hell of a lot of my time to perfect that one verse and hook to my standards. Being that I'm not a music pro and it's just a hobby I have the luxury of taking my time and revising my own work like that with 0 help.

In doing that I also understand why dudes like Common and Nas take their sweet time between projects. You find yourself writing and rewriting just one verse at least 15 times. Now these dudes have been certified for 20 plus years. It won't hurt their legacy at all to take their sweet time writing records. Their audience is loyal and more on the niche side of things. They'll be there for them no matter how long they take.

But if you're Drake or a Kanye West who make that Mickey D's music for the instant gratification generation that luxury walked out the door a long time ago. It really is a case of "what have you done for me lately?" and relevance when it comes to the mainstream side of things. So to supply that kind of demand and not buckle under pressure you can't go it alone.

Neal Brennan said something similar to this about how he writes his comedy. Said it took him 2 years to come up with an hour worth of material for a stand up show because he takes that much time to write one joke.

I would say people were more upset at Kanye because people have/had higher expectations for Kanye. Drake for his past few projects has gotten criticized for making not only sub par music, but music that hasn't really expanded on what he talks about. Ain't but so many "I fell in love with a stripper" broody ballad raps he can make and he ran them shits into the ground. With Kanye though, people have long thought much more of him as an artist so it's not about giving Drake a pass as much as it is the expectations the public has from both people.

I would say people were more upset at Kanye because people have/had higher expectations for Kanye. Drake for his past few projects has gotten criticized for making not only sub par music, but music that hasn't really expanded on what he talks about. Ain't but so many "I fell in love with a stripper" broody ballad raps he can make and he ran them shits into the ground. With Kanye though, people have long thought much more of him as an artist so it's not about giving Drake a pass as much as it is the expectations the public has from both people.

And Kanye fully articulated his bullshit stance.. as fully articulated as you can get from profound ignorance.

Good counter argument @BlackRain

Kanye has kind of presented himself as a modern day Basquiat or (Pablo) Picasso so we expect greatness and have high expectations, for sure

so we can skip over kanye being bipolar but cant skip over rules in a rap beef because the white boy got MS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back