Welcome To aBlackWeb

Official Wrestling News Thread

WrestleTalk and Fightful have learned that AEW CEO Tony Khan had a private meeting with Shane McMahon this week.

We can report that the meeting took place in an office at a private Arlington airport on Monday, July 29, 2024 during the afternoon.

Sean Ross Sapp of Fightful has confirmed with sources that the meeting did take place, with Khan and McMahon discussing “possibilities moving forward”.

Sapp noted that Khan had been “open” to talking with McMahon for a while, but it’s believed they’d never met - or even spoken - before the rumors about McMahon possibly joining AEW emerged recently.

Khan is said to have been “very open” to “using” Shane McMahon for several weeks now, and has also made it clear that he was open to the idea of talking to McMahon when people have brought the topic up to him backstage. Those that Fightful spoke to on Tuesday had not been briefed on a meeting.

Publicly, Tony Khan commented in a recent interview on the Maggie & Perloff show that McMahon was “welcome to stop by at any time” and “he seems like a really nice guy”.

Khan also told Sports Illustrated that he has “a lot of respect for (McMahon) as an executive and a professional wrestler”, and he’s “always welcome in AEW”.

Shane McMahon has been absent from WWE since WrestleMania 39 in April 2023 where he tore his quad just seconds into a match against The Miz.

Fightful reported in June 2024 that he was under no kind of contract with WWE as of that story being released. WWE confirmed that to us in an official capacity.

We’ll keep you posted with any further updates on discussions between Shane McMahon, Tony Khan and AEW as they emerge.

WrestleTalk and Fightful have learned that AEW CEO Tony Khan had a private meeting with Shane McMahon this week.

We can report that the meeting took place in an office at a private Arlington airport on Monday, July 29, 2024 during the afternoon.

Sean Ross Sapp of Fightful has confirmed with sources that the meeting did take place, with Khan and McMahon discussing “possibilities moving forward”.

Sapp noted that Khan had been “open” to talking with McMahon for a while, but it’s believed they’d never met - or even spoken - before the rumors about McMahon possibly joining AEW emerged recently.

Khan is said to have been “very open” to “using” Shane McMahon for several weeks now, and has also made it clear that he was open to the idea of talking to McMahon when people have brought the topic up to him backstage. Those that Fightful spoke to on Tuesday had not been briefed on a meeting.

Publicly, Tony Khan commented in a recent interview on the Maggie & Perloff show that McMahon was “welcome to stop by at any time” and “he seems like a really nice guy”.

Khan also told Sports Illustrated that he has “a lot of respect for (McMahon) as an executive and a professional wrestler”, and he’s “always welcome in AEW”.

Shane McMahon has been absent from WWE since WrestleMania 39 in April 2023 where he tore his quad just seconds into a match against The Miz.

Fightful reported in June 2024 that he was under no kind of contract with WWE as of that story being released. WWE confirmed that to us in an official capacity.

We’ll keep you posted with any further updates on discussions between Shane McMahon, Tony Khan and AEW as they emerge.
Screenshot_20240731_100108_Instagram.jpg

Yea that that would of been a good "Gotcha" if Vince was still in WWE but he's not & I don't think Stephanie ever took her position back either. The journalist were acting like this was gonna be some groundbreaking shit this morning but it really ain't lmao

I could see his run over there going something like this:

Comes in as a face
Feuds with Christian so he can tell him how he wishes his father was dead

Gets his pay off match where he does a big spot

Goes heel

Debuts a stable with some young guys that ppl end up hating

Disappears from tv

Contract quietly expires

Ain't going lie it's still pretty big for a McMahon to be on the other side even tho I never been in favor of this move.

Could make for some pretty interesting tv. Shane gotta bring in the new mean street posse.

I'm all for a Mcmahon appearing on AEW. Shit will break the internet And depending on how they use him it can be good.

My concern aside from it being Shane and him possibly booking himself to look like Superman, is that they mishandle the creative. After the Bucks dropped Tony Khan on his ass that shit didnt go anywhere of interest. Its almost like that shit didnt happen. So they gotta make total use of having a McMahon on AEW TV and it better be good.

I'm all for a Mcmahon appearing on AEW. Shit will break the internet And depending on how they use him it can be good.

My concern aside from it being Shane and him possibly booking himself to look like Superman, is that they mishandle the creative. After the Bucks dropped Tony Khan on his ass that shit didnt go anywhere of interest. Its almost like that shit didnt happen. So they gotta make total use of having a McMahon on AEW TV and it better be good.
Yeah I forgot about Bucks dropping TK lol
Somehow I think this was supposed to lead to Okada vs Omega 4 but it keeps getting delayed due to Kenny's condition.

But yeah McMahon on AEW(hopefully nothing that makes him book himself in a ridiculous way) is still a major moment for the business and will get folks talking more once something seems to be moving other then a pre meeting. It's still a holy shit moment with McMahon working for the other company regardless of the role.

Shane always had a chip on his shoulder because Vince didn't give him the company and went left when Hunter and Steph got more power so it could be bigger then a on screen character but time will tell.

Last edited:
WWE/2nd hand tickets wilding for Bad Blood. They want $125 starting for nose bleeds. And 600 for mid level. Ima have to do the last minute thing some of yall have said to get good seats for a decent price.

if Shane ever step foot on Aew T.V. it would cause more chaos to his people than Prince Harry marrying a black woman & having 2 biracial kids within the royal family.

During tonight's Busted Open After Dark broadcast on SiriusXM, Bully Ray read the following statement from Shane McMahon about the recent meeting with Tony Khan of AEW:

"Tony and I were connected through a mutual friend and we had a great meeting. We talked about many things, but mostly about our shared love for the business and the rewards and challenges of working with family. I congratulated him on the five year anniversary of AEW and look forward to how he evolves the business moving forward."

Naturally, a lot of wrestling fans now want to know what is WWE’s stance on possibly running a joint show with AEW?

WWE’s head of communications Chris Legentil was asked about this scenario during a new interview on the Sports Media Podcast with Richard Deitsch. Here’s the exchange between the host and WWE’s executive vice president:

Deitsch: “Where does the company stand directionally on working with AEW on a combined card in the future?”
Legentil: “No interest.”

Deitsch admitted he had no follow-up questions and was ready to move on from it, but Legentil decided to clarify his statement:

Legentil: “I just want to make clear, there is definitely a variety of excellent talent that don’t currently reside in WWE. So, there is no shot there that’s being fired. It’s just to say that the answer to your question is that no conversation has been had in relation to that.”

Back