Welcome To aBlackWeb

Official Wrestling News Thread

A longtime AEW star and wrestling legend has a contract coming up soon.

Fightful has learned that former WWE, WCW, TNA, ROH world tag team champion Matt Hardy’s current contract with AEW is set to expire in March. Hardy was brought in March 2020, where he was signed to a contract. Originally we were told that Jeff Hardy’s AEW deal was set to match up to Matt’s deal as far as length, but injuries and inactivity led to that no longer being the case and there’s time added to the deal.

We’ve heard that Hardy and AEW were in contact recently about the deal, but we haven’t heard if it’s expected to be extended.

The 49-year old Hardy has only been booked in one match so far in 2024, but wrestled regularly in 2023, having over 40 matches in and out of AEW. This marks 30 straight years that Hardy has wrestled on TV, as he competed against Undertaker, IRS, Owen Hart, Crush, Razor Ramon and Nikolai Volkoff back in 1994.

Venues Now, the leading trade publication covering live entertainment venues, reported that AEW Revolution, featuring Sting's retirement match, drew 16,118 fans to the Greensboro Coliseui, generating more than $1 million in gross ticket sales with the average ticket price being $55.

The report also noted:

OVG Hospitality’s food and drink per cap was $19, excluding suites, producing $306,242 in concessions receipts.

For merchandise, run by Oui Vend, the average spend was $21.64, driven by the novelty of Sting’s final match, producing about $349,000 in gross sales. Most everything on the retail end sold out. For the arena, the numbers are on the high end for a family show and more in line with a concert.

The numbers were provided by Scott Johnson, the Coliseum’s deputy director.

During an interview on The Kick Rocks Podcast, the former Sasha Banks was asked about why she decided to walk out of WWE in May 2022.

Here is her response:

“Something inside of me told me I needed to go do this and stand up for myself. It was a very hard decision because wrestling in WWE has been my whole life...It’s the hardest decision I’ve ever had to make in my whole life. But it’s the most proudest. It’s crazy, because I would not be sitting here, living the best version of my life, and getting to be everything I’ve ever [dreamed] of, and more. You have no idea.
And it makes me so excited because that moment changed my whole life for the better. I’m so thankful for that moment. I’m so proud of myself. I’m so proud of Trinity. I’m so proud of just how strong we were.
......Everybody acted like they were in the room, or worked there, or were backstage, or knew what happened, or knew what said. But all I know is that I handled it like a CEO, like the boss that I am, with my head held up high, and I can’t say nothing but amazing things to WWE. I’m so thankful for the career that they gave me, the fans that they gave me, the life that they gave me, the dreams that they gave me.”
Mercedes doesn’t specify what the issue was in WWE that she felt she needed to stand up for herself over, but it’s clear that she doesn’t regret making that decision.

During an interview on The Kick Rocks Podcast, the former Sasha Banks was asked about why she decided to walk out of WWE in May 2022.

Here is her response:

Mercedes doesn’t specify what the issue was in WWE that she felt she needed to stand up for herself over, but it’s clear that she doesn’t regret making that decision.

Imagine being the guy who hates on this black woman for standing up for herself against a racist billionaire rapist. I’d hate to be that guy

Back