Welcome To aBlackWeb

Official Black Web Boxing Corner

Added to Calendar: 05-18-24

Who Wins Tonight?

• Tank Davis

• Frank Martin

Results are only viewable after voting.
https://www.boxingscene.com/mikey-garcia-i-stop-lomachenko-hes-not-invincible--128190

Mikey Garcia: I Can Stop Lomachenko, He's Not Invincible

WBC lightweight champion Mikey Garcia (38-0, 30 KOs) is very confident in his ability to stop newly crowned WBA champion Vasiliy Lomachenko (11-1, 9 KOs).

This past Saturday night, Lomachenko - who won world titles at 126 and 130 - moved up to lightweight and stopped Jorge Linares in the tenth round to capture the WBA title at Madison Square Garden in New York City.

Unlike his past opponents, beating Linares was no easy task. Lomachenko was dropped in the sixth round and the judges had it scored a split draw when the contest was stopped.

Mikey's head trainer and older, Robert Garcia, believes his fighter would stop Lomachenko.

Garcia agrees with his trainer, and explains that Lomachenko looks great against overmatched opponents, but didn't look as spectacular last week against Linares.

"I can stop him. He looks sensational and does all of this crazy footwork with lesser quality opponents. The minute he stepped up against Linares... yeah he beat him, but it wasn't an easy fight like those other fights. He also got dropped. It was a flash knockdown, but he still got dropped. I've been dropped. You get up and you win the fight," Garcia said to ES News.

"That shows you that he's not invincible, he's not this crazy, out of this world phenomenon that people make him out to be. With lower quality opponents - he shines, he outclasses them. Step up in competition and face a world champion, you start to see openings and opportunities... not necessarily flaws, Linares has experience and he did well against him."

But Lomachenko's promoter, Bob Arum of Top Rank, told reporters that negotiating a unification with Garcia is a very difficult task - one that Arum has no patience for.

Garcia, who was promoted by Top Rank until they parted ways a few years ago, explained that he hasn't spoken to Arum since June of 2013 - when he knocked out Juan Manuel Lopez.

"When was the last time he talked to me personally? Back in Dallas for the Lopez fight, at the airport," Garcia said. "That's the last time I remember. I don't know what he's talking about that it would be so difficult."

Lomachenko is being positioned to return on August 25th at The Forum in Los Angeles - likely against WBO champion Ray Beltran, who is also promoted by Top Rank.

Props to loma. I thouggt when linares got the knock down he might turn the heat up. I respected loma skills but i wasn't on the hype train. That was a good win. I give props were due..

Gary Russell vs jojo Dias this wknd I think.. Who yall rolling with?

Bob Arum: Jeff Horn can become boxing 'superstar'

ESPN.com: Boxing [Print without images]
espn.gif

Thursday, May 17, 2018
Bob Arum: Jeff Horn can become boxing 'superstar'
By Jake Michaels

r372120_2_1296x518_5-2.jpg

Jeff Horn poses for a portrait during a training session at Dundees Gym.
Legendary boxing promoter Bob Arum said he believes Jeff Horn will become the "big superstar of the welterweight division" should he emerge victorious over Terence Crawford in next month's title fight.

The Queenslander, who famously scored a stunning unanimous points decision over Manny Pacquiao in July, faces the undefeated Crawford (32-0-0) in Las Vegas on June 6, and Arum is already considering what a victory would mean for the 30-year-old former schoolteacher.

"If Horn wins it's a tremendous victory for him. He becomes the boss," Arum said in response to questions from Horn's promoter Dean Lonergan. "He remains the welterweight champion and he goes into the records in boxing as one of the most elite fighters in the sport."

While there is plenty at stake, most boxing analysts and pundits are expecting Crawford, who is widely considered one of the world's best pound-for-pound fighters, to make light work of Horn.

Arum, however, remains split on the outcome of the fight and believes you'd be a fool to write off the gutsy Australian this early, particularly given his recent history.

"If you talk about boxing skills there's no question they belong to Crawford but when you talk about size, strength and determination you have to give Horn a very good chance," Arum said. "I don't know who will win this fight, a lot will depend on the determination of the two boxers.

"All I know is that it will be a good, hard fought competitive match. The winner of this fight will be considered the big superstar of the welterweight division."

r372122_1296x518_5-2.jpg

Jeff Horn and Ray Robinson pose for a photo before their sparring session at Stretton Boxing Club.
Should Horn pull off the upset win, it would open further doors and the possibility of another title fight in his native Australia remains a real possibility.

Currently there is no rematch clause in the Horn-Crawford fight contract, but Arum believes the American would certainly consider a second fight.

"If it's a great fight and Horn wins and agrees to fight Crawford in a rematch in Australia I'm sure Crawford would be amenable to that," Arum said. "[If Horn wins] a lot of elite fighters like Pacquiao and others will be knocking on his door looking to challenge him."

Bob Arum: Horn can become a boxing superstar...

Me:
7M8T7Wh.gif

As for the fights tonight, I got Jack and Russ Jr. Stevenson's reign ends tonight.

Back