Welcome To aBlackWeb

Official Black Web Boxing Corner

Added to Calendar: 05-18-24

Who Wins Tonight?

• Tank Davis

• Frank Martin

Results are only viewable after voting.

Can one of the most improbable match-ups and mouthwatering fights be spoken into existence?

Errol Spence Jr. was ringside scouting Canelo Alvarez in person Saturday in San Antonio and saw first hand how the Mexican superstar stopped Callum Smith in a unanimous decision victory.

Before the fight, Spence stepped aside from the spectacle and talked with DAZN commentator Chris Mannix, doubling down on recent statements that he’d entertain the idea of a fight with Alvarez.

“I think it's a great fight, especially at 160. It would be an all-out war. Have it at AT&T Stadium [in Dallas] with 100,000 plus fans,” said Spence. “I'm a guy that sucks down to get to 147. I want to be the undisputed champion at welterweight. But if there is a great fight at 160, I can definitely move up to 160 and fight there easily.”

A pitting between two of the top pound for pound fighters will require the welterweight Spence to step up two weight divisions to meet Alvarez at middleweight, while Alvarez will have to step down from 168, the new division he plans on conquering.

“I saw him. I'm very grateful that he was here, but the reality is that we have other goals right now with the 168-pound titles,” Alvarez said after the fight.

Super middleweight is clearly the immediate plan for Alvarez, who has wavered over the last year whether or not he has any future plans at 160.

Matchroom Boxing head Eddie Hearn, who was the promoter of record for Alvarez’s first fight in the post-Golden Boy era, chimed in with his thoughts on the potential fight between Alvarez and Spence.

“That's a tremendous fight. Errol Spence is a big welterweight. The problem there is that you'll see Errol move to 154, maybe in the next 12 months,” Hearn said following Alvarez’s unanimous decision win over Smith.

“Sometimes you need to fight with a name like that to make a payday that doesn't exist outside of the usual channels. You're going to have to do something a little bit crazy. For Spence to fight Alvarez, it's the only way in my opinion that he's going to make that kind of money. He's not going to make it against Terence Crawford.”

Do you like Spence if this fight happens? If Spence goes up to 160 and beats Canelo, he's the fucking man.

Don't think this match-up will happen anytime soon but style-wise Andrade ( A southpaw boxer with lots of movement) could cause Canelo problems.
He ll need the KO or a Floyd like performance anything but that goes to Canelo

But the priorities for Team Crawford remain the same. McIntyre wants either “Manny Pacquiao or Spence” for Crawford’s next fight, whenever that is, but with a caveat: the purse for either one would have to be split straight down the middle.
“50/50,” said McIntyre.

9EE460DA-9CC3-4EFD-A62C-1BD2106A97C8.gif

There’s a reason top rank keep Crawford away from big name fighters in their prime..

At first I thought it was because Bob Arum don’t want to spend money for Bud to face bigger name opponents, but the reality is that it takes money to make money..

Bud calls out the 2 biggest purses in the welterweight division (Spence and Pacquiao), and it looks and sounds good but he’s also asking for a 50/50 split and the truth is that he don’t deserve a 50/50 split with either fighter because both Pacman and Spence bring more fans to the arena and also generate more pay-per-view buys then him..

When Floyd fought Oscar De la hoya, Floyd took a 40/60 split because he knew De La Hoya was a bigger name and a bigger draw, so Floyd took less money but also used Oscar as a steppingstone to stardom..

If Bud was serious about fighting the big dogs in welterweight, then he would’ve been trying to fight Danny Garcia, Shawn Porter, Keith Thurman, or even Ugas to build his resume and fan base so that he has some type of leverage/bring something to the table going into a fight with Spence or Pacquiao..

Instead Crawford is trying to sneak past those fighters and go straight for the big money fights..

Crawford makes more with the 40 with Spence on PPV

Than he does 50/50 with ANYBODY on ESPN

Back