Official Black Web Boxing Corner

Added to Calendar: 05-18-24

Who Wins Tonight?

• Tank Davis

• Frank Martin

Results are only viewable after voting.
After canelo. Why not fight the best available
these guys know the business....

if the fight can make sense money wise, it'll happen....if not, it won't.....

there's way more that goes into making a fight besides who's the best available...

cuz let's not act like Charlo's been fighting the best available...dude aint' even been fighting top 10 competition....

I think he's a mandatory to the title though, so we'll see.....

he's doing his job though, playing to the media....

Jermall Charlo faces Hugo Centeno Jr., keeps an eye on Gennady Golovkin, Canelo Alvarez
upload_2018-2-12_10-38-23.png
Former junior middleweight world titlist Jermall Charlo faces Hugo Centeno Jr. for a vacant interim middleweight title. Photo provided by Andrew Hemingway/Showtime
Feb 9, 2018
  • i

Dan RafaelESPN Senior Writer

Standing at the summit of the middleweight division is unified world champion Gennady Golovkin and rival former champion Canelo Alvarez.

They are two of the biggest names and most exciting fighters in boxing and are coming off an enthralling fight in September that was ruled a split draw, even if most felt that GGG rightfully deserved to win a decision.

Jermall Charlo vs. Hugo Centeno
Where: Barclays Center, Brooklyn, New York
When: Saturday, March 3
TV: Showtime

That controversial outcome, not to mention the tens of millions of dollars the event generated, led to the obvious: a rematch, which will take place on May 5.

But since Golovkin owns three of the major title belts, while he is busy dealing with Alvarez once again his mandatory challengers are left waiting, and waiting, and waiting for the winner.

One of them is Jermall Charlo, the undefeated former junior middleweight world titleholder who vacated his belt last year, moved up to middleweight and destroyed Jorge Sebastian Heiland in four one-sided rounds in an elimination fight to become one of Golovkin's mandatory challengers.

It was the only fight that Charlo had last year, and a fight with Golovkin or Alvarez is a long way away, if either ever happens.

So while GGG and Canelo settle their business, the WBC agreed to sanction Charlo against Hugo Centeno Jr. for the vacant interim title with the winner theoretically getting a crack at the winner of the May 5 fight.

"My goal is to show everybody that I'm the best middleweight in the world. I'm going to keep fighting everyone they put in front of me. I'm going to knock them out one-by-one until Canelo or Golovkin have to face me."

Jermall Charlo
Charlo and Centeno are scheduled to fight on March 3 (Showtime) on the undercard of heavyweight world titleholder Deontay Wilder's defense against Luis "King Kong" Ortiz at Barclays Center in Brook, New York, the same site where Charlo took Heiland apart.

Charlo is deep into his training camp at his Charlo Boxing and Fitness Club in his hometown of Houston and he's fired up to take out Centeno and eventually square off with the Golovkin-Alvarez winner.

these guys know the business....

if the fight can make sense money wise, it'll happen....if not, it won't.....

there's way more that goes into making a fight besides who's the best available...

cuz let's not act like Charlo's been fighting the best available...dude aint' even been fighting top 10 competition....

I think he's a mandatory to the title though, so we'll see.....
Yea he is the mandortory. GGG just really stepped his comp up also. 2 years he didnt have anyone to fight. But right now thats not the case. Also GGG was fightingDominic wade and the Rubios of the world when lara said he would fight him. Abel talking about charlo is disrespectful and had to wait it lame. So is GGG gonna drop the belt instead of fighting charlo

It's cool cuz his opponent just got locked up too

Both these Niggaz dumb

looking forward to the rematch....

danny garcia gonna look like a monster against rios..... shit gonna shake up the discussion.....

Rios is a bum he was done after one of those alvarado fights he lost the dog in him matter of fact they did in each other with those wars

The amount of ducking going on in the WW division is at all time high.

It all boils down to risk vs reward. I think Shawn thinks he can beat Thurman/Garcia. I don't think the confidence is there when it comes to his matchup with Spence. And if he were to fight him an lose, that push him our of the running. Then all we would hear is Thurman vs Spence needs to be made.

I respect Spence bevause he will fight anyone. These other guys aint built like that.

I Will say tho that I think Porter could beat Thurman in a rematch tho.

i remember when yall niggas was saying thurman was scared of porter.. he thoroughly beat his ass cut it out..
and another thing this isnt some middle school highschool street fight bullshit. its the business of boxing but yeah there is some truth of people being cautious about their opponents but i think alot of yall areare exhibitin your personal biases .. most of these cats will fight .. yall pay way too much attention the out of the ring bullshit.

Bruh no matter how u chop it up..That shit sounds Weak & these niggas Pussy...Boxing Is suffering Period....Garcia camp Angel especially should be ashamed of Himself...I'm watching Shakur, fight on Espn shit Is disgusting all the cupcake fights being thrown to the public...

i remember when yall niggas was saying thurman was scared of porter.. he thoroughly beat his ass cut it out..
and another thing this isnt some middle school highschool street fight bullshit. its the business of boxing but yeah there is some truth of people being cautious about their opponents but i think alot of yall areare exhibitin your personal biases .. most of these cats will fight .. yall pay way too much attention the out of the ring bullshit.

I don't think Thurman beat Porter that bad. It was a great fight. I just don't think Porter could keep the pressure up he had in the early rounds and that's why he lost.

It was way better than Thurman vs Garcia.

I definitely wanna see a rematch.

It was a competitive ass kicking no doubt id be game for it again

i just wish people stop with these narratives.. and silly ancillary bullshit this aint death row vs badboy

Yea we get the business of boxing bullshit. These cats arent saying hey if the money is right i will fight spence. They dont even want to be unifed champion . They are making every excuse to duck Errol. In some cases they arent even mentioning his name. These cats are ducking spence period. They know they cant beat him for one , secondly they arent even going to look good in the fight . Lastly the understand once they lose to Spence their whole value drops. Possibly the worst case of ducking by WWs in boxing history.

Rematch for what? I could live w/o that shit. Move on

Competitive fight but he lost just as clearly as Danny 7-5

If they both want to fight Thurman, hopefully they’ll get scheduled for an eliminator

Ain’t no way to dress up Dudes not wanting title shot. What they gotta understand is none of them close to being ppv star. So now or later, they holding out for pennies unless they going get active and build their name. I’m cool with dudes not fighting, it’s real risk that come with that shit. My only request would be, give up the belt

Back