Welcome To aBlackWeb

FEATURED Official Black Web Boxing Corner

Added to Calendar: 05-18-24

test

Mikey Garcia: DAZN Deal Had To Be Structured In Way That Leaves Me Happy

Mikey Garcia didn’t have a firm grasp on what fight was next when he was first courted by Eddie Hearn more than a year ago. What he did know was that it wasn’t the right time to sign on with fledging over-the-top (OTT) media service DAZN.
Fast forward to present day, where has finally heard what he needed to in order to make the move.

“It was the right deal and the right agreement,” Garcia (39-1, 30KOs) told BoxingScene.com of his recent career move, which is accompanied by a February 29 showdown versus former two-division titlist Jessie Vargas. “I’m happy with the decision and the terms. It had to be a deal that worked best for everyone involved and also the right fight, where we give the fans a fight that excites them.”

News of his being paired up with Vargas (29-2-2, 11KOs) has been met with favorable reaction, as Garcia will fight for the second time as a welterweight. Their Feb. 29 DAZN headliner will air live from The Ford Center at The Star in Frisco, Texas, marking his second straight fight at the weight and in the greater Dallas area.

His agreeing to terms marked the end of a lengthy pursuit by Hearn’s Matchroom Boxing, who will serve as the lead promoter for this bout. Garcia heard what England’s leading promoter had to say of his plans to conquer the U.S. market, but instead decided to stick it out with Premier Boxing Champions, even as an unrestricted free agent.

It led to a lucrative showdown versus unbeaten welterweight titlist Errol Spence, against whom he dropped a lopsided 12-round decision for his lone career defeat. Garcia considered several proposals from PBC brass for a next fight under its umbrella, including his landing on the short list of potential opponents to next face legendary eight-division and reigning welterweight titlist Manny Pacquaio.

A mild surprise came of his instead signing with Hearn and DAZN. More so than the Vargas fight itself was the ability for the former four-division titlist to proceed with his career while staying true to the values which have helped him reach this point. That means entering and leaving without any real restrictions.

“It was important for the fans to be treated to a nice fight,” explained Garcia. “But the deal also had to be structured in a way that leaves me happy and independent.

"I’ve always worked on a fight by fight basis, so remaining that way was very important. I know it was announced that I finally signed with Matchroom… but this is more of a partnership.”

Wilder-Fury PPV To Have 3 Fights: PBC, Top Rank Each Get Bout

The rematch between Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury was officially announced today to take place Feb. 22 at the MGM in Grand in Las Vegas.

For the first time ever, Fox Sports and ESPN+ will cooperate for a joint pay-per-view to ramp up the promotion, one of which Bob Arum is anticipating two million PPV buys and $100 million in revenue, which would make it one of the most successful heavyweight fights of all time.

According to officials who are staging the event, the PPV will be an ESPN production and will broadcast a total of three fights for the paid portion of the progam.

In addition to the main event between Wilder (42-0-1, 41 KOs), the WBC heavyweight champion, and Fury (29-0-1, 20 KOs), the lineal heavyweight champion, PBC and Top Rank will have one fight slot each to match any of their fighters in separate bouts.

Neither of the fights will be Top Rank vs. PBC, according to the source.

In recent years, PPV broadcasts have predominantly been a total of four bouts, but this scaled down version will allow PBC and Top Rank an even amount of shine.

The non-PPV portion of the broadcast will have six additional fights — three from Top Rank and three from PBC. The non-PPV fights will be simulcast on ESPN and Fox properties before the PPV begins.

Derrick James: Errol Spence 'Just Like He Was' In The Gym

ONTARIO, California – Derrick James hasn’t seen anything happen in his gym since Errol Spence Jr. returned to it earlier this month that makes James think Spence isn’t the same elite fighter he was before his car accident.

James, who also trains Jermell Charlo, spoke about Spence’s comeback following Charlo’s 11th-round technical knockout of Tony Harrison in their WBC super welterweight championship rematch Saturday night at Toyota Arena.

“He’s OK,” James said. “We’re looking at him, seeing how he react to what we’re working on in the gym. He’s good. His timing is good. Everything’s great. … He’s just like he was. Because now I’m watching him from a different perspective. And I’m looking to see if he’s slower. I don’t see it.”

James told those that asked about Spence since his accident that he would recover completely from the facial lacerations and dental damage he suffered during a one-car crash October 10 in downtown Dallas. Some fans and media were unconvinced regarding Spence’s condition because the unbeaten IBF/WBC welterweight champion hadn’t spoken publicly since the accident until he was interviewed at ringside by FOX’s Brian Kenny just before the Charlo-Harrison rematch started Saturday night.

“I think it was good for them to see him,” James said. “I think that people care about him. And then a lot of people are, as we say in the red, the haters. I think a lot of people didn’t want him to be OK. But, I mean, I told ‘em he was OK. They didn’t believe me. And so, they actually had to see him and whatever he said – I didn’t see the interview. I think it’s beautiful for him, for boxing. He’s back. And I’m happy.”

The 29-year-old Spence (26-0, 21 KOs) told Kenny he “feels good” and “rejuvenated” now that he has taken some time off. The DeSoto, Texas, native also said he has been cleared medically to resume full contact, but James noted that he’s not sure when Spence will spar for the first time since the accident.

Spence expects to return to the ring sometime late in the spring or the summer. The 2012 Olympian wants to fight Danny Garcia or Manny Pacquiao next, not a lesser opponent in a tune-up fight.

Spence had hoped to face Garcia in January, but Spence’s setback caused Garcia to accept a fight against Ivan Redkach on January 25 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn.

“I work for him,” James said when asked about the type of opponent Spence should fight next.

“You know what I mean? So, I want whatever he wants – whoever. I don’t call out people. I don’t choose people. My job is to make sure to get him ready and get him prepared. But when I start [talking about opponents], I can’t be a good trainer.”

Spence has noticeable scar tissue over his right eye and elsewhere on his face from cuts suffered in the accident, after which he was charged with driving while impaired (DWI). That scar tissue could render the strong southpaw more susceptible to cuts in fights.

“We’ll see about that,” James said. “I mean, it’s boxing, man. You know, but I don’t think about it. I just care about the cognitive aspect of it, not about his face. I think about the cognitive, the brain. That’s all I care about.”

Super unprofessional. Bruh gonna fade to gamboa status in a minute.
Bhop mushed winky, threw down the Trinidad flag

Tyson routinely zapped

Didn't bowe 2 piece a nigga once...??

All tank did was give homie a grown man shove....

Something to buzz the headlines..... Prolly gained 50k viewers with that shit

Tyson routinely zapped

Not just the shove im.talking bout all of it, ballooning up in weight between fights, missing weight at the new weight all that shit fam. Even the shove was unnecessary ain't like gamboa was all in his face talking shit.

Tyson routinely zapped

Shit Bud got pushed and swung on the nigga

Tank just gotta chill with the celebrity shit...just keep building his stardom in BOXING...that's it...and he need to stop hanging roun AB

These dudes really want that Mayweather type celebrity status nowadays and of course the money.. they lose focus on actual boxing..Tank probably don't be in the gym like that until it's time to start training camp for a fight

Back