Welcome To aBlackWeb

FEATURED Official Black Web Boxing Corner

Added to Calendar: 05-18-24

test

Pacquiao-Thurman Event To Now Carry True Random Drug Testing

By Jake Donovan
Upon further review, handlers for the best boxing card of 2019 to date have decided that drug testing is necessary after all.

Unbeaten welterweight titlist Keith Thurman and legendary former eight-division champ Manny Pacquiao remain on course for their July 20 Fox Sports Pay-Per-View headliner at MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada. BoxingScene.com has learned that both boxers are now subject to stricter testing than was previously the case, although all parties involved remain intentionally cryptic in providing any details—including confirmation of the new development

“Unfortunately I can’t confirm or deny who is being tested or not tested by various Performance Enhancing Drug Testing Organizations PEDTO),” Bob Bennett, executive director of the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) informed BoxingScene.com in response to an email seeking comment. “As you know the PEDTO conduct random testing for the Promoters, a few commissions to include the Nevada State Athletic Commission.
“The NSAC does it best to ensure a level playing field for all unarmed combatants when they fight in the fight capital of the world. We randomly test in and out of competition for our events and incur the some of the costs.”

Multiple sources have confirmed with BoxingScene.com—on the condition of anonymity given their involvement in fighters’ camps and a confidentiality clause currently placed on the event—that both Pacquiao and Thurman are among no fewer than eight boxers on the show who are guaranteed to be tested in advance of the PPV show.

Among them are Luis Nery and Juan Carlos Payano, who collide in a battle of former bantamweight titlists. They will vie for Nery’s World Boxing Council (WBC) Silver 118-pound title, with such bouts falling under the WBC Clean Boxing Program (CBP) in which all titlists and Top 15 contenders are required to enroll.

Nery has no choice, as the unbeaten knockout artist from Mexico tested positive for a banned substance surrounding his Aug. 2017 title-winning knockout win over Shinsuke Yamanaka in Japan. Their rematch carried controversy of another kind, with Nery miserably missing weight and not only conceding the title at the scales ahead of their March 2018 sequel in Japan but receiving a lifetime ban from the Japanese Boxing Commission.

He was also issued an indefinite suspension by the WBC, which was downgraded to six months after complying with the sanctioning body’s requirements regarding his weight management issues. With his return also came mandatory enrolment in CPB.

The problem with the program is that it simply makes athletes eligible for such testing but doesn’t guarantee that such testing will take place. As much is the case with events fought under the auspices of the NSAC, among the top commissions in the nation but whose testing standards are well short of those conducted by industry-leading Voluntary Anti-Doping Agency (VADA).

Random testing under either program require necessary funding, which has remained an issue in fully implementing the CBP to the extent the WBC had hoped when first launching in 2016.

Enrollment with either entity is not the same as being directly enrolled with an agency such as VADA, a common misconception among the industry and which often leads to confusion among the sport’s participants themselves.

Given that, renowned and ubiquitous matchmaker Sean Gibbons—who has remained an integral part of Pacquiao’s team—was accurate in telling reporters that Pacquiao is subject to testing from both CPB and NSAC. Where reporters fell well short of doing their job, was running with the statement as proof that there has been ongoing testing for this event.

It now rings true, even if it took some prodding to nudge event handlers in that direction.

Thurman (29-0, 22KOs) has held at least an interim version of the welterweight title since 2013, receiving an upgrade in 2015 when he outpointed Robert Guerrero atop the official televised debut of Premier Boxing Champions (PBC). His title reign has featured gaps of inactivity due to injury, having fought just once each in 2016 and 2017, and not at all in 2018 before returning to the ring this past January in a 12-round nod over Josesito Lopez.

His upcoming clash with Pacquiao (61-7-2, 39KOs) marks the 30-year Floridian’s first time in four years where enjoys a turnaround of six months or less. The timing worked out perfect, as Pacquiao fought one week prior to Thurman’s win over Lopez, turning away the challenge of former four-division titlist Adrien Broner.

Thurman will make his debut as a PPV headliner, a role Pacquiao has enjoyed several times over the course of his incredible career.

The Filipino southpaw served second only to longtime rival Floyd Mayweather Jr. as the sport’s most bankable fighters of the 21st Century. The two circled one another for more than five years before squaring off in May 2015, resulting in the most lucrative boxing event in history, generating more than $600 million in revenue.

A major roadblock at the start of their first round of talks way back in 2009 was a dispute over drug testing. Mayweather insisted upon the services of United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) at a time when few athletes made a point to make such demands.

Pacquiao remained resistant, in fact his team filing a defamation lawsuit against Mayweather and his camp over previous and unfounded accusations of using PEDs. The lawsuit was eventually dropped, but there still came years of posturing before finally meeting in the ring.

Prior to their eventual superfight, Pacquiao finally warmed up to the concept of random testing, regularly utilizing VADA beginning with his Nov. 2013 win over Brandon Rios. His participation in the program has been spotty in recent years, but nevertheless still tested more than most other top boxers.

With the latest development regarding this show, Pacquiao, Thurman and several other participants now get to prove without a doubt that everything is above board—which is really the purpose of random drug testing in the first place.

It’s look like Pacquiao won’t be using those “power pellets” for this fight after all...

Last edited:

Canelo Now WBC "Franchise" Champion, Charlo Now Full Champ!

Adding to the crazy confusion of title belts, the World Boxing Council has now created a new world title position - with Saul “Canelo” Alvarez being tabbed as the WBC "franchise champion."

By doing this, the WBC removes Canelo from his position as middleweight champion - and in doing so they have made the interim-champion Jermall Charlo the full middleweight champion.

Charlo is back on Saturday night in Texas, when he defends his belt against Brandon Adams.

The WBC explained their reasoning for the move, which further confuses everyone who follows the sport.

Canelo also holds the IBF and WBA versions of the middleweight title.

"During its recent mid-year meeting in Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, the WBC Board of Governors approved rule 3.26 of the WBC Rules and Regulations, which creates the designation of WBC Franchise Champion. The Franchise Champion is a special designation and status which the WBC may bestow to a current WBC world champion, who is also an elite boxer, and who has achieved and maintains the highest of statures in the sport," the sanctioning body stated.

"Under Rule 3.26, in its discretion, the WBC may, upon a 2/3rd vote of the Board of Governors, designate in each weight category one WBC Franchise Champion. A Franchise Champion shall enjoy special status with respect to his or her mandatory obligations, holding multiple titles and competing for titles of other organizations, as the WBC Board of Governors rules on a case-by-case basis.

"The WBC is bestowing that honor upon champion Alvarez due to his many accomplishments which have positioned him as major worldwide attraction in boxing, and in light of his unquestionable boxing career linked to our organization. Canelo Alvarez has represented the WBC for 11 years with outstanding results in his professional career."

And apparently the WBC outlined certain conditions for their franchise champion.

1. The Franchise Champion will be designated as WBC Emeritus Champion once he retires from boxing.

2. The Franchise Champion will proudly represent the WBC in every single fight as a reigning WBC champion, regardless of any specific conditions or titles being associated with all future fights. WBC rules and regulations will govern under the traditional conditions of boxing in the Franchise champion fights. WBC will approve through the franchise champion promoter every opponent scheduled to fight.

3. Franchise Champion agrees to participate in a minimum of two social responsibility events every year, organized and in conjunction with the WBC.

4. The WBC may recognize a WBC champion in the division or divisions where the Franchise champion currently competes.

5. The WBC may award a Diamond Championship belt in those fights in which the Franchise Champion engages. If the Franchise Champion loses, the winner will receive the Diamond belt and may be considered as mandatory contender of the division.

More special treatment for Cinnamon from the WBC...

After the bullshit with Manny claiming that shoulder injury after the Floyd fight it became clear what Manny was on and it wasn't those type of PEDs. Manny was taking toradol. That shit NFL players take that they says basically numbs your whole body. It is a PED but its a non-steroid though.

COMFORTABLY NUMB: THE NFL FELL IN LOVE WITH A PAINKILLER IT BARELY KNEW

Yeah this is a joke, like we need ANOTHER belt... What makes it worse it allows a champion to duck their mandatories, if they make Wilder WBC 'franchise' champion I will be pissed, Dillian Whyte has been WBC no.1/mando for over 600 days and still cant get a shot at Wilder!!!

Just watched Porter vs. Ugas again.

Its was a good fight. Ugas looked good and is gonna get ducked after that performance lol. His counter right was on point the whole fight. But he didnt do enough to take the belt from the champ on points. Porters movement and work rate won it. The controversial slip in the 11th wasnt really a slip. Ugas hook mostly missed and hit Porters glove and slipped behind his head. Might have clipped the back of his head and caused Porter's balance to be off.

Had that been a clean knockdown, Ugas would have the belt.

It was a good fight tho.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just watched Porter vs. Ugas again.

Its was a good fight. Ugas looked good and is gonna get ducked after that performance lol. His counter right was on point the whole fight. But he didnt do enough to take the belt from the champ on points. Porters movement and work rate won it. The controversial slip in the 11th wasnt really a slip. Ugas hook mostly missed and hit Porters glove and slipped behind his head. Might have clipped the back of his head and caused Porter's balance to be off.

Had that been a clean knockdown, Ugas would have the belt.

It was a good fight tho.

All a fighter has to do is win 7 rounds to win the belt. Folks basically saying a fight is rigged if the challenger is already down on the cards before the fight even starts with that mentality.

All a fighter has to do is win 7 rounds to win the belt. Folks basically saying a fight is rigged if the challenger is already down on the cards before the fight even starts with that mentality.

Thats true. I aint saying Ugas got robbed. But there were close rounds that honestly could have went either way. And Ugas being the challenger and fighting as a counter puncher cost him the fight IMO. He was moving forward but waiting on Shawn to attack before he would throw a punch.

He definitely can be a contender in the division after that performace, but he has to work more.

Jermall Charlo: Where'd Canelo Go? How Can He Skip Me Like That?

HOUSTON – Jermall Charlo had just finished a weight-cutting session Wednesday when his phone rang.

It was his trainer, Ronnie Shields, who had some interesting news to relay to the WBC’s interim middleweight champion. Before Shields could tell Charlo about the WBC’s bizarre announcement, Charlo clicked over to answer Al Haymon’s call.

Haymon called Charlo to tell him the same thing, that the WBC had elevated him from interim to world middleweight champion because the Mexico City-based sanctioning organization designated Canelo Alvarez as its first franchise champion.

Removing the interim tag from his status sounded good, but a somewhat confused Charlo understandably had questions. First and foremost, Charlo wanted to know how Alvarez was allowed to technically remain a WBC middleweight champion without having to make a seemingly overdue mandatory defense against him.

It was a valid concern coming from a fighter who was an interim champion for 14 months.

“I was just like, ‘Where Canelo go? If I’ve been elevated to the regular champion, where is Canelo? How can he just skip me and just leave the belt alone like that?’ ” Charlo asked after a press conference Thursday at NRG Stadium. “Well, Canelo has the bigger belt. Well, that’s the belt I want now. So, eventually when the time comes and what he’s done for the sport, I’ll continue to do what I’m doing and hopefully I’ll become a franchise champion, too.”

Charlo calmly discussed the WBC’s dubious decision Thursday, but elevating Alvarez to “franchise champion” essentially ended any chance Charlo might’ve had at proving himself against Alvarez in the foreseeable future. The financial impact eliminating Alvarez as a potential opponent has on him isn’t lost on the 29-year-old Charlo, either, but he has tried to remain positive.

“No matter how hard it is to get the fights that I want,” Charlo said, “I’ll get ‘em sooner or later and it’s gonna make it all even better.”

There were obvious obstacles to making an Alvarez-Charlo bout before the WBC announced its dumbfounding designation – most notably Charlo’s affiliation with Haymon’s Premier Boxing Champions, Showtime and FOX and Alvarez’s long-term partnership with DAZN. Then again, Charlo could’ve accepted one of British promoter Eddie Hearn’s offers and immediately had a much better chance of facing Alvarez on DAZN, with which the Mexican superstar has a five-year, 11-fight deal that could become worth $365 million.

Alvarez, meanwhile, has a list of options that includes a lucrative third fight against Gennadiy Golovkin, a middleweight title unification fight against the winner of the Demetrius Andrade-Maciej Sulecki WBO championship match Saturday night and a return to the super middleweight division to battle WBA champ Callum Smith.

Even though Alvarez no longer is obligated to make a WBC title defense against him, Charlo still hopes he has a realistic place on Alvarez’s list.

“I would love to fight Canelo,” Charlo said. “Everyone in the world know that I would love to fight Canelo. I’m not dodging any fighters. I’m fighting all of my mandatories. It’s a trophy. It’s a belt that sets up other fights in the future. But we’re fighters, man. We’re here to fight. That’s what we’re here to do while we have that window of opportunity to do it. I wanna become one of the best fighters out there. And the only way I can do it is to fight the best out there.”

Charlo (28-0, 21 KOs) is scheduled to defend his middleweight title against huge underdog Brandon Adams (21-2, 13 KOs) on Saturday night. Their “Showtime Championship Boxing” main event will be broadcast from NRG Arena in Houston, Charlo’s hometown.

His critics have chastised Charlo for fighting Adams, who won the fifth season of “The Contender” reality series seven months ago. Since moving up from junior middleweight two years ago, Charlo’s list of 160-pound opponents includes Jorge Heiland, Hugo Centeno Jr., Matt Korobov and Adams.

Those aren’t the types of challenges Charlo needs to pursue if he is to establish the “legacy” he mentioned again Thursday. Now that the WBC has reclassified Charlo as its middleweight champion, however, he hopes it entices top opponents other than Alvarez to fight him.

“I think it should make the fights easier [to make], with me being the champion now,” Charlo said. “Because now the guys will wanna come out and get this belt. And we won’t have successful stories like I’m fittin’ to fight right now, like a Brandon Adams. And I know the fans think that I chose this, but I didn’t. I look high [on] Brandon Adams. I think he’s a talented fighter. He has a lot of attributes that fighters I’ve fought in the past didn’t have. So, I’m not taking him lightly or anything. But it is what it is. I have to be patient, be calm and get my job done.”

Assuming Charlo can do that against a someone who’ll face the best opponent of his career, Charlo figures that should at least enable him to fight the Andrade-Sulecki winner later this year.

“I wanna become the unified, undisputed champion at middleweight,” Charlo said. “I wanna do things that Roy Jones done and that Bernard Hopkins done, and the best middleweights out there in the world have done. I definitely wanna make those my goals.”

Andrade also is contractually committed to having his fights streamed by DAZN, yet Charlo doesn’t think that should prevent them from fighting if Alvarez remains unavailable.

“You cannot hide behind a weight division or a network or any title or any of that,” Charlo said. “Because boxing is boxing. The best should fight the best, and that’s what I’m here to do.”

If Charlo can’t secure fights against other elite middleweights, he’ll adhere to whichever WBC obligations he’ll have as its middleweight champion.

“I don’t even know who my mandatory contender is,” Charlo said. “But I won’t do what Canelo did. I will fight my mandatories. You know, my manager, Al Haymon, schedules all of my fights and put me in the best positions to better my life and my career. So, you don’t have to worry about Jermall Charlo holding on to the belt at any time. I’ll be fighting again by the end of the year.”

Would really appreciate it one of guys would put up a link saturday for the Andrade fight on dazn.

I never liked the saying "He didnt do enough to take the belt from the champ". There's no such rule in boxing or MMA but a lot of people still hold on to that mindset . Both fans and fighters. If you win more rounds you simply win the fight. Close rounds can definitely be scored for the challenger but again you have people that be like, " Those rounds were close but I give it to boxer A because he's the champ". I don't like that shit.

I never liked the saying "He didnt do enough to take the belt from the champ". There's no such rule in boxing or MMA but a lot of people still hold on to that mindset . Both fans and fighters. If you win more rounds you simply win the fight. Close rounds can definitely be scored for the challenger but again you have people that be like, " Those rounds were close but I give it to boxer A because he's the champ". I don't like that shit.
I dont believe in that either you win you won that other shit is bookie talk

You dont think a pro fighter should have their licence suspend for this???

Any pro fighter that attacks someone/people like they did, especially a chick should have their licence suspended, period... Sucker punching a chick??? His boy BATTERED that chick too and then they beat the hell outta dude on the floor...

Hes already paid and is Arum's future star fighter he wont go hungry... If that chick had a chin like Amir Khan's they could be facing manslaughter charges...

Lol@if the chick had a chin like Amir Khan

Back