Welcome To aBlackWeb

FEATURED Fury vs Usyk: Official Black Web Boxing Corner

Added to Calendar: 05-18-24

test
https://www.boxingscene.com/judge-top-rank-owes-middendorf-520k-crawford-contract--137670

Judge: Top Rank Owes Middendorf $520K For Crawford Contract
By Keith Idec

A Nebraska judge has ruled in favor of Chris Middendorf in Top Rank’s appeal of his lawsuit against Bob Arum’s promotional company and Terence Crawford related to the agreement Middendorf made with Top Rank when it became Crawford’s promoter in 2011.

Judge John Gerrard – on behalf of the U.S. Federal Court, District of Nebraska – sided with Middendorf on Sunday and ordered Top Rank to pay Middendorf $520,296.87, plus appropriate prejudgment interest. That six-figure sum is equal to 8 percent of Crawford’s purses for seven subsequent championship matches following his ninth-round, technical-knockout victory over Yuriorkis Gamboa in June 2014 in Omaha, Nebraska.

Top Rank, which appealed the initial court rulings that favored Middendorf, was contracted to pay Middendorf 8 percent of Crawford’s purses per terms of an agreement and release deal that allowed Top Rank to sign Crawford to a promotional contract in 2011. Middendorf owned a 35-to-40-percent stake in TKO Boxing Productions, Crawford’s former promoter, and was assigned several fighters, including Crawford, once TKO experienced financial duress.

That agreement enabled Middendorf to sell Crawford’s contract and several others to Top Rank, for decades one of most powerful promotional companies in boxing.

Gerrard’s ruling was first reported Wednesday by boxingesq.com, a blog authored by Kurt Emhoff, a longtime sports and entertainment attorney and boxing manager.

Since beating Gamboa, the 31-year-old Crawford, of Omaha, Nebraska, has won world titles in two more weight classes. He is commonly considered one of the top two boxers, pound-for-pound, in the sport.

According to commission contracts, Crawford earned a total of $8,125,000 for seven fights from November 2014 through August 2017. Top Rank paid Middendorf $136,000 from Crawford’s listed purses and additional revenue he earned from gate receipts for those fights ($78,710.91).

Gerrard determined Top Rank owes Middendorf an additional $520,296.87 as per their agreement, in addition to the aforementioned interest.

Top Rank’s counsel argued that it shouldn’t have owed Middendorf any money from Crawford’s victories over Viktor Postol and Julius Indongo because those bouts were title unification fights, not title defenses.

Gerrard ruled against Top Rank in those instances as well.

Crawford defended his WBO junior welterweight title and won the WBC super lightweight title from Postol by winning a 12-round unanimous decision against the Ukrainian veteran in July 2016 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. Crawford’s purse, according to his Nevada State Athletic Commission contract, was $1,300,000 for the Postol fight.

Crawford also defended the WBC and WBO 140-pound championships against Namibia’s Indongo, whom Crawford beat by third-round TKO to capture the IBF and WBA titles as well in Lincoln, Nebraska. The Nebraska Athletic Commission’s contract for that fight listed Crawford’s purse as $2,000,000.

On April 20, Crawford (34-0, 25 KOs) will defend his WBO 147-pound championship against England’s Amir Khan (33-4, 20 KOs) at Madison Square Garden in New York. That bout will be distributed by ESPN as a pay-per-view main event.

Scammer Bob’s business practices...

https://www.boxingscene.com/wilder-warns-joshua-fury-im-king-us-ive-got-influence--137682

Wilder Warns Joshua, Fury: I'm King in U.S., I've Got The Influence
By Chris McKenna, courtesy of The Daily Star

DEONTAY WILDER has told Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury he is the king of heavyweight boxing in America and they will have to beat him to take the throne while also telling them how they can be a success across the pond.

Brit stars Joshua and Fury are plotting to be superstars in the States with big TV backing ahead of their fights across the pond this summer.

But Wilder has warned them it is not easy to make it in the ‘Land of Opportunity’ because boxing is overshadowed by mainstream sports such as American Football, basketball and baseball.

The Alabama knockout artist has only recently risen to prominence despite boasting an unbeaten record of 40 wins and one draw while also being the reigning WBC champion.

Wilder’s dramatic win over Luis Ortiz followed by a controversial draw with Fury in December has helped raise his profile but he warned his heavyweight rivals boxing in America is totally different to the UK.

“America has been wanting a heavyweight king for a very long time, someone they can look up to and be happy about,” said ‘The Bronze Bomber’.

“I give America that pride and joy of having their own superstar and heavyweight champion they can call their own ‘Baddest man on the planet’.

“Since the last few fights, I’ve got the world’s attention like I wanted it. This is just the beginning for Deontay Wilder, the things that I can do from now are incredible.

“Those guys (Joshua and Fury) have a chance. If they do the right things, make the right fights, have the right fights then America will love them.

“But they have to understand that when they come to America it is totally different, our outlook and view is different.

“We like to be cocky, we like to talk old school, we like to see aggressiveness, the fighters fighting the best, they don’t want to see nobody running.

“When these guys come to America, I am the king here. No matter what people say.

“I got a lot of influence here. Everyone in the sport looks up to me because I’m the monster in the heavyweight division. They can’t look over me.

“Those guys coming over I wish them the best but I want to see the best fights happening.”

UK box office star Joshua travels to New York on June 1 to face Brooklyn bruiser Jarrell Miller at Madison Square Garden while Fury is pencilled in to face German Tom Schwarz on June 15 in Las Vegas.

Joshua has the backing of streaming giant DAZN while Fury penned a £80m deal with broadcasting powerhouse ESPN recently.

But Wilder told them they must have big fights or the fans will lose interest.

“They have to be careful what they do here in America,” he added.

“They have to understand that boxing is not our top sport so they could easily get bored of you.

“It’s not like in England when boxing is almost like a second sport.

“These guys will be understanding what I’ve been going through to become a star.

“I had to deal with certain things in boxing with the other sports that are in America because boxing does not get the same attention.”

Those chicks could have backed up when the men started fighting, but they wanted to buck....

To be fair they only knocked the men down... They just got the women up off them..... They crushed them dudes

https://www.boxingscene.com/amir-khan-i-took-crawford-fight-it-perfect-me--137655

Amir Khan: I Took Crawford Fight Because It Was Perfect For Me!

Amir Khan had the opportunity to secure a very large payday against his bitter domestic rival Kell Brook.

But instead he accepted an assignment that was widely viewed as being far more dangerous, and for a little less money, against Terence Crawford.

Khan views Crawford as a legacy fight, a fight where a victory could elevate his entire career. Crawford is regarded by many observers as one of the best, if not the best, pound-for-pound fighter in the sport.

Khan will challenge Crawford for the WBO welterweight title on April 20th at Madison Square Garden in New York City.

The Bolton boxer feels that he's personally been tested in many tough contests, while at the same time he sees Crawford as a fighter who was always matched in perfect situations

“This is my own weight. I’m not going to experience the power that Canelo has. [Crawford] has a lot of skill and speed. It will be a game of chess at times, and then there’ll be a time we’re both going to have to dig deep and pressure one another,” Khan said The Los Angeles Times.

“Crawford has had these fights that are walks in the park, where he’s beaten guys quite comfortably and not gotten into a messy fight. I’ve been quite the opposite. I’ve been in that place where it’s been a hard, rough fight. I don’t think he has.

“Crawford is very clever, but he hasn’t fought anyone who can box as well as him, so there’ll be new things he’ll see, and that’s why I took the fight. I took a week to break down the fight when they offered it to me, and I thought it was perfect for me. I like the way he fights – very brilliant, very dangerous – but that’s what lifts me. I need the biggest fights to motivate me, to get me into my best condition and get me truly ready for a real fight.”

https://www.boxingscene.com/bob-arum-if-wilder-hits-him-on-chin-its-goodbye-joshua--137575

Bob Arum: If Wilder Hits Him On the Chin, It's Goodbye Joshua!

By Keith Idec

Bob Arum hopes Tyson Fury eventually gets the opportunity to beat both Deontay Wilder and Anthony Joshua.

If Wilder and Joshua wind up boxing each other before Fury faces Wilder in a rematch or Joshua in an all-UK showdown, Fury’s co-promoter predicted Wilder would knock out Joshua. The 6-feet-7 Wilder (40-0-1, 39 KOs) arguably is the most devastating puncher in boxing, but the 6-feet-6, 245-pound Joshua has knocked out 21 of his 22 professional opponents.

Joshua’s power aside, Arum isn’t confident Joshua’s chin could withstand Wilder’s exceptional power.

“Joshua, you know, it remains to be seen,” Arum told World Boxing News for a story posted to its website Thursday. “His chin isn’t the greatest. If Wilder hit him on the chin, then it’s goodbye Joshua, I think. It remains to be seen.”

It remains to be seen because Wilder and Joshua don’t seem any closer to their much-discussed heavyweight title unification fight than they were this time last year.

The 33-year-old Wilder, of Tuscaloosa, Alabama, turned down DAZN’s four-fight, $120 million offer last week, which would’ve included two fights against Joshua.

Instead, Wilder will make a mandatory defense of his WBC title against mandatory challenger Dominic Breazeale (20-1, 18 KOs) on May 18 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn. Showtime will televise the Wilder-Breazeale bout.

The 29-year-old Joshua is set to defend his IBF, IBO, WBA and WBO championships against Brooklyn’s Jarrell Miller (23-0-1, 20 KOs) on June 1 at Madison Square Garden in Manhattan. The Joshua-Miller match will be streamed by DAZN in the United States and on pay-per-view, via Sky Sports Box Office, in the United Kingdom.

Two weeks later, England’s Fury (27-0-1, 19 KOs) is scheduled to meet Germany’s Tom Schwarz (24-0, 16 KOs) in a 12-rounder ESPN+ will stream from UNLV’s Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas.

Arum obviously is biased, but he told World Boxing News that Fury is the best of the three heavyweights generally regarded as boxing’s top performers in that division.

The 6-feet-9, 260-pound Fury fought to a 12-round draw with Wilder, who dropped Fury once apiece in the ninth and 12th rounds of their December 1 bout at Staples Center in Los Angeles. Arum’s company later reached a co-promotional agreement with Frank Warren to work with Fury.

That deal prevented Fury from signing a contract to battle Wilder again on May 18. Arum also attempted to sign Wilder to a multi-fight agreement, but Wilder turned down that offer.

“It remains to be seen [if they fight each other], but I think Fury is the best,” Arum said. “He’s the savviest and the most complete fighter. Fury got a little careless when he got knocked down by Wilder, who’s a tremendous puncher. But he clearly out-boxed Wilder for the entire fight.”

https://www.boxingscene.com/hearn-arum-under-pressure-last-ratings-extremely-poor--137600

Hearn: Arum Under Pressure, Last Ratings Were Extremely Poor

Promoter Eddie Hearn of Matchroom has responded to some of the recent statements from Top Rank's CEO, Bob Arum.

In a recent interview, Arum explained why he believed IBF, IBO, WBA, WBO heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua was not receiving the proper exposure in the United States by having his fights carried by streaming service DAZN.

Joshua makes his United States debut on June 1, at Madison Square Garden in New York City. In the other corner will be undefeated challenger Jarrell Miller.

Arum recently signed lineal heavyweight champion Tyson Fury to a multi-fight co-promotional deal. Fury is Joshua's main rival in the UK.

Arum's company has an exclusive content deal with ESPN - and the network has a rival streaming service, ESPN+.

Top Rank's events are carried on ESPN or ESPN+ - but the more high profile fights are going to be showcased on ESPN Pay-Per-View.

Arum advised Joshua to finish up his contract with Hearn and then come on board with Top Rank to get proper exposure.

“Joshua is completely isolated because he has in effect, been captured and rolled into this DAZN arrangement. This frankly inhibits his ability to make major fights and his ability to really become a factor. He’s fighting in the US against Miller but it’s on DAZN. Nobody has DAZN," Arum told World Boxing News.

“I think Joshua has been used. Joshua and his people should wake up and really join the world. He should finish up his contract with Hearn and join us. It makes no sense [to continue placing his fights on DAZN]. It makes no sense to deprive him of PPV. If he fights in the UK, he can’t turn that into PPV dollars in the United States. That’s because of the difference in time.”

Hearn shot back, stating to Sporting News that Arum was now feeling the heat of the impact Matchroom USA was making on DAZN.

"I think Bob's under a lot of pressure at ESPN. You know, I think his last show, [Kubrat] Pulev vs. [Bogdan] Dinu, the ratings were extremely poor, but I'm flattered that Bob's on the offensive and attacking us in the public eye because it means we're doing something right," Hearn said.

"He doesn't like to be challenged in his own market, but you know we have a lot of respect for Bob and Top Rank and we look forward to the challenge."

https://www.boxingscene.com/arum-my-matchmakers-want-shakur-stevenson-fight-diaz--137684

Arum: My Matchmakers Don't Want Shakur Stevenson To Fight Diaz

By Keith Idec

Bob Arum couldn’t talk Shakur Stevenson out of it.

That, more than anything, is why Stevenson has been scheduled to take such a steep step up in competition on the Terence Crawford-Amir Khan undercard. Eager to test himself against a championship-caliber opponent, the 2016 Olympic silver medalist will take on Puerto Rican veteran Christopher Diaz in an encounter ESPN Pay-Per-View will air April 20 from Madison Square Garden in New York.

The 21-year-old Stevenson is 10-0, including six knockouts, since making his pro debut in April 2017. He has recorded impressive knockout wins in each of his last two bouts, both of which were broadcast by ESPN.

Diaz, 24, is much better, however, than his past two opponents – Romania’s Viorel Simon (21-3, 9 KOs) and the Philippines’ Jessie Cris Rosales (22-2-1, 10 KOs).

Arum more than acknowledged differing levels of opposition during a recent interview with BoxingScene.com. In fact, Arum admitted that his veteran matchmakers, Bruce Trampler and Brad Goodman, advised against sending Stevenson into a fight with an imposing opponent like Diaz just yet.

“I think it’s a very, very dangerous fight,” Arum said. “Our matchmakers were not in favor of doing the fight, because they thought it might be a step too far, putting Shakur, who is, truth be told, even though a big talent, wet behind the ears. And we’re putting him in with an experienced guy, like Diaz. That’s not a walk in the park, baby. Diaz has not only been a [regional] champion, but he’s been a champion in a weight division above 126, which means that he’s not a little guy. It means that he’s used to fighting heavier guys, when he campaigned as a 130-pounder. Shakur’s gonna have his hands full with this guy.”

Diaz considers this 10-round fight versus Stevenson as a high-profile opportunity to bounce back from his loss eight months ago to Masayuki Ito (25-1-1, 13 KOs).

Japan’s Ito dropped Diaz (24-1, 16 KOs) in the fourth round of their 130-pound championship match July 28 in Kissimmee, Florida and convincingly defeated Diaz by unanimous decision in their 12-rounder. Ito won the then-vacant WBO super featherweight title that had been vacated by Vasiliy Lomachenko, who moved up to lightweight early last year.

Diaz decided to move back down to the featherweight limit of 126 pounds following that lopsided loss. Diaz’s success at featherweight didn’t deter Stevenson or his handlers.

“We couldn’t argue anymore with them,” Arum said. “Shakur was pushing it so strongly. So was coach Kay [Koroma] and Shakur’s grandfather [Wali Moses]. We went and talked to his manager, a good friend of ours, James Prince. And Prince said, ‘Look, that’s what he wants to do. The kid knows his own ability. Go along with it.’ So, we went along with it. That wasn’t James Prince saying, ‘Oh, my guy will beat him easy.’ Prince is very worried about the fight.”

https://www.boxingscene.com/ray-robinson-adamant-he-beat-kavaliauskas-wants-crawford--137673

Ray Robinson Adamant He Beat Kavaliauskas, Wants Crawford

Welterweight contender, Ray Robinson believes that he should have deserved the decision in his bout with WBO number-one ranked Egidijus Kavaliauskas in a bout that was seen live on ESPN this past Saturday at 2300 Arena in Philadelphia.

Robinson of Philadelphia and Kavaliauskas battled to a majority draw in a bout where Robinson demonstrated great ring generalship and dictated the pace of the bout.

"This is why I fell in love with boxing. To hit and not get hit, i put on a boxing lesson," said Robinson.

"I feel like I offset him. I was faster and the lateral movement confused him. I frustrated him. I just listened to my coaches and threw him off. I had a full camp, and it showed in my performance as I feel that I dominated," continued Robinson, who won one scorecard by a 97-93 tally, while two others were even at 95-95.

Kavaliauskas has been mentioned for a chance to fight undefeated WBO champion Terence Crawford, but with his performance, Robinson would happily step in the ring with the Nebraska native, as he showed not only he is a worthy fighter, but he also, Robinson owns a win over the consensus pound-for-pound fighter in the amateur ranks. Robinson feels he would repeat that result in the pro ranks, with an opportunity at Crawford.

"I think now I deserve that shot. I am the last person to defeat Terence Crawford in the amateurs. The fans would want to see it, and I am sure he would want it. If it was me, I would want to fight the last person who beat me. If not Crawford, I feel that I deserve to compete with the top welterweights out there. Guys like Thurman, Porter, Spence, Sadam Ali, Kell Brook, Adrien Broner. Any of them. I am a promotional free agent, so it won't be difficult to make a deal with any of them"

https://www.boxingscene.com/wilder-everything-fury-gained-hell-lose-it-by-facing-schwarz--137686

Wilder: Everything Fury Gained, He'll Lose it By Facing Schwarz!

By Chris McKenna, courtesy of The Daily Star

DEONTAY WILDER has blasted Tyson Fury for “running” from their rematch and warned the Brit the American fans have turned on him.

The WBC heavyweight champion looked set for a rerun of his dramatic draw with Fury next month.

But Fury pulled the plug on talks when he signed a mega-money deal with US broadcaster ESPN and promoter Top Rank.

Fury is now facing little-known German Tom Schwarz on June 15 in Las Vegas but Wilder says his rival could “stink the place out”.

The unbeaten American said: “He will have to suffer the backlash from the people.

“That is one thing Americans don’t like is you say you want to fight nothing but the best then when it is a controversial fight you get the rematch and you run.

“Tyson Fury doesn’t have an exciting style, he can easily stink out a place with his style.

“People don’t want to see that in America. They don’t want to see you just boxing and being boring.

“They want to see excitement with the big boys, they want to see knockouts.

“Him dodging me and not taking that rematch is going to mess up his profile in America.

“If I don’t give Tyson Fury the rematch ever again in his life that will be his problem. ESPN is going to be s***ting bricks and so will he.

“By him not taking the rematch and facing someone who is way at the bottom of the list, some guy we have never heard of with his style, it’s not going to work out for him.

“Everything he gained in our fight he lost. I hope he is aware of that. He is in for a rude awakening.”

Wilder turned down an £80m three-fight deal with DAZN last month which would have paved the way for a clash with IBF, WBA, IBO and WBO champion Anthony Joshua.

The American is sticking with US broadcaster Showtime for now and will defend his WBC belt against Dominic Breazeale on May 18.

He added: “I think the Joshua fight will happen but I don’t know if it will happen in the next year.

“They said they want the fight in 2020. If they really wanted the fight it would have happened a long time ago.”

https://www.boxingscene.com/lomachenko-not-realize-it-he-needs-teofimo-lopez--137692

Lomachenko Might Not Realize It, But He Needs Teofimo Lopez
By Keith Idec

Seven nights from now, Vasiliy Lomachenko is scheduled to defend his WBA “super” world lightweight title against Anthony Crolla.

You haven’t heard or read a whole lot about it just yet because, frankly, calling Crolla a legitimate threat to Lomachenko’s lightweight championship reign isn’t a narrative even legendary carnival barker Bob Arum could peddle without winking. That’s not necessarily Lomachenko’s fault, nor Arum’s, as the WBA has installed Crolla as the mandatory challenger for Lomachenko’s crown.

For embarrassing measure, the consistently ridiculous sanctioning organization also elevated Lomachenko from its “world” champion at 135 pounds to its “super” champion. Because, hey, why have one champion per recognized organization in a given division when you can make money off sanctioning another “title” fight two weeks later – Robert Easter Jr. versus Rances Barthelemy – for a trinket that shouldn’t exist?

Lomachenko simply could’ve vacated the WBA lightweight title he won by stopping Jorge Linares with that textbook body shot last May 12 at Madison Square Garden. Except that trying to persuade boxers to give up titles is impossible most times, something Arum accepted was particularly true of Lomachenko very early in what’s now nearly a six-year partnership.

“You’ve gotta understand, my guy Lomachenko is an eastern European,” Arum told BoxingScene.com. “They love to pile up titles, they love to unify and they don’t like to give up belts. There was no chance I could convince him to walk away.”

The 30-year-old Lomachenko (12-1, 9 KOs) wants to fully unify boxing’s lightweight titles. He already owns the WBA and WBO belts, and he has designs on taking Richard Commey’s IBF crown later this year.

Lomachenko-Commey was the fight we were supposed to see next Friday night. It was all but a done deal until Ghana’s Commey (28-2, 25 KOs) suffered a hand injury during his second-round technical knockout of Russia’s Isa Chaniev (13-2, 6 KOs) on February 2 in Frisco, Texas.

Physical therapy to help heal a floating ligament in his right hand left Commey unable to train until this week. Lou DiBella, Commey’s promoter, told ESPN.com on Thursday that he wants to take a tune-up bout before boxing Lomachenko later in 2019.

If nothing else, the bigger, hard-hitting Commey seems like a more imposing opponent for Lomachenko than England’s Crolla (34-6-3, 13 KOs). Meanwhile, we’re left to watch Lomachenko – a 100-1 favorite, according to numerous Internet sports books – defend his title against a tough but overmatched underdog that twice lost unanimous decisions to Linares (45-5, 28 KOs).

The unique Ukrainian should overcome Crolla relatively easily in a fight ESPN+ will stream April 12 from Staples Center in Los Angeles. Lomachenko’s following fight figures to be another lightweight title unification bout against Commey.

Assuming Lomachenko (12-1, 9 KOs) wins both of those fights, that’s when his somewhat stagnant career could come to a pivotal point. For all of his remarkable abilities and Arum’s accompanying promotional machine, Lomachenko is becoming boring.

Not in a literal sense. No, he’s still fun to watch because his athleticism and skills still make you do double-takes sometimes.

That said, predictability breeds boredom among fans and cynics alike. They want to see one of the best boxers in the world tested more than Pedraza, Crolla or even Commey can push him, particularly as he moves toward the back end of his physical prime.

Simply put, the two-time Olympic gold medalist must get back to pursuing legacy-building fights.

Since demoralizing Nicholas Walters into submission in November 2016, Lomachenko has beaten Jason Sosa, Miguel Marriaga, Guillermo Rigondeaux, Linares and Jose Pedraza. There are four former champions among that group, but even Lomachenko dismisses the most noteworthy win of those five victories because Rigondeaux, while gifted and then unbeaten, moved up two weight classes to fight him 16 months ago.

Linares knocked down Lomachenko in the seventh round, which served as an unfriendly reminder that he’s probably better suited for 130 pounds than 135. Lomachenko’s commitment to lightweight is firm, though, which limits the options for the type of intriguing challenges that defined the first half of his pro career (Orlando Salido, Gary Russell Jr. and Walters).

The two toughest opponents most mentioned for Lomachenko are Mikey Garcia and Gervonta Davis.

Welterweight champion Errol Spence Jr. just dominated Garcia (39-1, 30 KOs), which means Garcia would have to win a fight or two before becoming viable for Lomachenko again in a pay-per-view event. That’s assuming Garcia, who still holds the WBC lightweight title, would move all the way back down from welterweight to lightweight.

“The one element that we don’t know is what happens with Garcia’s title,” Arum said. “Will Mikey give it up? Or not? Or what? We don’t know. Once we know that, we’ll know which way to go.”

Even if he drops down to 135 pounds again, Garcia’s contentious past with Arum’s company makes a Garcia-Lomachenko match unlikely even among optimists. Floyd Mayweather, whose company promotes Davis (21-0, 20 KOs), has gone back and forth about whether battling Lomachenko would make sense for the powerful southpaw from Baltimore.

Enter Teofimo Lopez.

The extremely confident Lomachenko won’t admit it, but he needs Lopez. The fast-developing Lopez is just 21, but he is the perfect partner for Lomachenko to make magic both at the box office and on pay-per-view.

Unlike Lomachenko, who isn’t especially eager to do what’s required to build his brand beyond boxing fans, Lopez is completely promotable. The polarizing Lopez has the one-punch power and the personality to become a true star, and the 2016 Olympian pursues that ambition accordingly.

Marketability notwithstanding, Lopez (12-0, 10 KOs) definitely needs a couple more impressive victories in 2019 to make a fight against Lomachenko more saleable. The brash Brooklyn native is scheduled to face Finland’s Edis Tatli (31-2, 10 KOs) in a 10-rounder on an ESPN Pay-Per-View undercard April 20, before the main event between WBO welterweight champ Terence Crawford (34-0, 25 KOs) and Amir Khan (33-4, 20 KOs).

Lopez is heavily favored to defeat Tatli, but he will be matched against a more threatening opponent in his following fight. Then, Lomachenko-Lopez likely will become more than just a fascinating fight we might see one day.

“For me, the major pay-per-view bombshell for Lomachenko would be against Teofimo Lopez, if he keeps winning,” Arum said. “I talked to Teofimo’s father [Tuesday]. If he’s successful April 20th, then he’s a main event guy in July, on one of our telecasts. And then we’ll have him fight a real step-up fight against a top lightweight opponent available at the end of the year. And then, sometime after the Super Bowl, come back on a pay-per-view with Lomachenko against Teofimo. I think that would do extraordinarily well.”

Lopez is applying pressure on Top Rank to make the Lomachenko bout before the end of this year. The Las Vegas resident claims making 135 pounds has become problematic and he doesn’t want to wait much longer to move up to 140 pounds, a weight at which Lomachenko won’t compete.

The precocious Lopez realizes, of course, that he needs Lomachenko to help him reach superstardom, much more than he needs to move up. Based on the somewhat stagnant nature of his celebrated career and the lack of profitable options available to Lomachenko, he needs Lopez, too.

https://www.boxingscene.com/amir-khan-reacts-critics-i-just-think-most-it-all-jealousy--137717

Amir Khan Reacts To Critics: I Just Think Most of It Is All Jealousy
By Sam Meade, courtesy of The Daily Star

AMIR KHAN has taken a swipe at his haters as he prepares to fight Terence Crawford.

Khan will enter his 38th professional bout when he takes on the undefeated American at Madison Square Gardens.

The British fighter rose to prominence when he won a silver medal in 2004 and has gone on to enjoy a successful career in the ring.

The 32-year-old has won 34 fights and been a two-time world champion.

And he told BT Sport that he believes his critics are jealous of his exploits.

“I was quite hard (to deal with his rapid rise),” he said. “I was so young and all my friends were chilling, playing football and I couldn’t do all that stuff.

“I was a young boy, I was 17 when I first came on the map. Now I’m one of the eldest in the game with two kids.

If you don’t like me don’t comment about it. They don’t like you or they want to say something bad about your boxing career.

“I just think most of it is all jealousy really. I get a lot of hate for reasons that just make no sense. I’ve tried my hardest to please everyone, but its never worked.”

Khan has just over a fortnight until he enters the ring for the first time since September.

He is a huge underdog against a man who is among the best pound-for-pound boxers in the world.

His last visit to America saw Khan knocked out in the sixth round by Canelo Alvarez - although he had stepped up in weight to challenge the Mexican.

https://www.boxingscene.com/shields-if-i-man-id-probably-one-most-famous-boxers--137715

Shields: If I Was Man, I'd Probably Be One Of Most Famous Boxers

By Keith Idec

Notre Dame women’s basketball coach Muffet McGraw wasn’t the only prominent sports figure that spoke out against gender inequality Thursday.

On the same day McGraw made an impassioned plea during an interview prior to the women’s Final Four, Claressa Shields expressed her own views on the topic while she was interviewed as part of a media workout in Miami. Shields, the IBF/WBC/WBO women’s middleweight champion, is finishing up training camp there for her 10-round, 160-pound title unification fight against Germany’s Christina Hammer on April 13 in Atlantic City, New Jersey.

“I work hard, really hard,” Shields said. “If I was a man, I would probably be one of the most famous boxers out there. There is a gender gap. We all know it. I’m working towards changing that. We work hard, we get less money and less recognition, but the world is changing. We are changing it.”

Shields-Hammer is widely viewed as the biggest women’s boxing match since Laila Ali stopped Christy Martin in August 2003. Ali, a daughter of Muhammad Ali and a super middleweight champion at that time, typically fought four weight classes above Martin, a women’s boxing pioneer who lost their bout by fourth-round knockout.

Shields and Hammer, meanwhile, are much more evenly matched.

The 24-year-old Shields (8-0, 2 KOs), a two-time Olympic gold medalist from Flint, Michigan, typically is listed as a 4-1 favorite to beat Hammer (24-0, 10 KOs, 1 NC). The 28-year-old Hammer has held the WBO 160-pound championship since October 2010, nearly two years before Shields won her first gold medal at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London.

“Hammer has been talking smack, but I’m not worried about her,” Shields said. “I’m just ready for a fight. She talks about a lot of stuff that has nothing to do with boxing. I’m waiting for her to say she’s gonna hit me with an uppercut or something, but it’s more of the same.”

Showtime will broadcast the Shields-Hammer match as the main event of a “ShoBox: The New Generation” tripleheader. The premium cable network’s three-bout broadcast is set to start at 9 p.m. ET a week from Saturday from Boardwalk Hall’s Adrian Phillips Ballroom.

Back