Welcome To aBlackWeb

FEATURED Official Black Web Boxing Corner

test
https://www.boxingscene.com/thurman-if-we-fight-another-champ-2019-it-wbc--135704

Thurman: If We Fight Another Champ in 2019 - It Will Be The WBC

Keith Thurman returns from a lengthy layoff caused by injuries, defending the one welterweight title he still holds against Josesito Lopez at Barclays Center on Saturday night.

“Last several times that I was in here, it was spectating other cards and other shows,” Thurman said. “And it’s just a whole other atmosphere and whole other energy. Twenty-two months since I’ve been in here. I almost forgot what it’s like when it’s your fight week and when you’re the headliner.”

For Thurman (28-0, 22 KOs), that was March 4, 2017, when he edged Danny Garcia in a split decision in Brooklyn to unify the 147-pound titles. He had surgery two months later to remove bone spurs from his elbow. When he resumed training after a lengthy recovery, he hurt his left hand.

He says he probably could have returned last year, but opted to wait until the new year for what he felt was a fresh start. He had to give up the WBC belt he won in the Garcia fight that Shawn Porter has since won because of his inactivity, but he is still recognized as the WBA champion.

Frustrated that he couldn’t get a straight answer from doctors about how long the elbow surgery rehabilitation would take, Thurman is hesitant to make any promises. He thinks he’ll fight twice this year, though won’t guarantee it.

The only thing he’ll say is neither fight would be against Errol Spence or Terence Crawford, the other two welterweight champions who have emerged as the stars of the division while Thurman was sidelined.

“If we fight a champion, we’re only fighting the WBC because that champion is me,” Thurman said.

“I was the champion. I want to reunify my titles before going after the champions that I’ve never faced before and this reason is because I was the unified champion of the world. When Keith Thurman steps in the ring and faces one of those fighters, there will be my two titles on the line plus their one title.

“Once you get a taste of a certain status, you kind of get used to it. I want to get that status back before going above and beyond.”

https://www.boxingscene.com/fury-promoter-wilder-rematch-far-more-money-joshua--135697

Fury Promoter: Wilder Rematch is Far More Money Than Joshua

Frank Warren, promoter for undefeated heavyweight Tyson Fury, says his boxer is without question going to face WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder in a rematch.

Fury and Wilder collided last month at Stales Center in Los Angeles.

The contest ended in a controversial twelve round split draw. Fury went down twice in the contest, including a vicious knockdown in the twelfth where for a few seconds the contest appeared to be all but over.

Warren is hoping to finalize a rematch deal in the very near future.

There is no indication on where the second fight will take place, but Las Vegas is rumored to be a frontrunner for the contest.

Warren will not give any hints regarding the location or the terms being negotiated for the rematch.

“We’re negotiating and I hope by the end of this week we’ll be in a position to announce something one way or another, fingers crossed,” Warren told Boxing News.

“It’s just the usual stuff [in terms of the negotiations]. I won’t negotiate it through the press, we’re not doing a [Eddie] Hearn job. We’re working hard, both sides, to try and make it happen. We want it, it’s just a matter of getting it over the line so that’s what we’re working on,” the promoter said.

Eddie Hearn, who promotes IBF, IBO, WBA, WBO champion Anthony Joshua, says he presented Fury with an offer to face his boxer on April 13 at Wembley Stadium in London.

Warren blew off that idea, explaining that a rematch with Wilder will bring his fighter a lot more money and a lot more exposure - with the aspect of Showtime Pay-Per-View being involved.

“It’s more meaningful fight and it’s a bigger money fight [than Joshua],” he said. “Of course it is, you’ve got American pay-per-view. What are you going to get for Joshua and Tyson? There’s far more money for that [Wilder] fight, it’s much more meaningful. Tyson and Wilder’s last fight generated more income than [Alexander] Povetkin and Joshua,” Warren explained.

https://www.boxingscene.com/luis-nery-signs-with-pbc-tabbed-return-on-spence-garcia--135705

Luis Nery Signs With PBC, Tabbed To Return on Spence-Garcia
By Jake Donovan

Luis Nery’s second run towards bantamweight glory will come with a new team in tow.

The unbeaten former titlist is the latest to join the Premier Boxing Champions (PBC) family, according to several sources in Nery’s native Mexico with knowledge of the development. Reportedly, Nery—through promoter Zanfer Promotions—has signed a five-fight agreement with the Al Haymon-founded conglomerate.

Representatives from PBC and Zanfer Promotions have declined comment as this goes to publish, nor would either confirm said deal is yet official.

Nery (28-0, 22KOs) has endured both the best and worst of times since earning 2016 BoxingScene.com Prospect of the Year honors. His 2017 campaign saw the unbeaten southpaw unseat long-reigning bantamweight king Shinsuke Yamanaka, knocking out the previously undefeated champ in the fourth round of their Aug. ’17 battle in Japan.

His reign was short-lived, with a pre-fight drug test surfacing three weeks after the fight showing trace amounts of Zilaterol. Nery was partially exonerated by the World Boxing Council (WBC), as the Mexico City-based sanctioning body was sympathetic in its Nov. ’17 ruling, lending credence to his insistence of ingesting the banned substance through contaminated meat in referencing his numerous clean tests surrounding the event.

In lieu of a suspension, Nery—who had beaten Arthur Villanueva in a non-title fight while awaiting his fate—was ordered to face Yamanaka in an immediate rematch, which took place last March in Japan. However, his career hit a new low when showing up three pounds heavy for the bout, for which he was stripped of the title and permanently banned by the Japan Boxing Commission.

Two wins have since followed, including a 3rd round knockout of Jason Canoy at the 118-pound bantamweight limit in his comeback fight last October. His most recent win came in December, stopping Renson Robles in five rounds.

The next ring adventure for the 24-year old knockout artist will double as his PBC debut as well as his first career fight in the United States.

Having fought almost exclusively in Mexico—save for his pair of fights with Yamanaka in Japan—Nery will likely find his way to the undercard of the March 16 Fox Pay-Per-View event in Arlington, Texas, topped by defending welterweight titlist Errol Spence versus unbeaten Mikey Garcia, who moves up from lightweight.

Opponents for his next couple of fights will likely provide a direct path towards regaining his old title. Nordine Oubaali filled the near year-long vacancy atop the WBC 118-pound rankings with a 12-round win over former amateur rival Rau’Shee Warren one week ago in Las Vegas.

With the win, Oubaali will now have to next face unbeaten Takuma Inoue, who won an interim title in a 12-round nod over Petch Sor Chitpattana last December.

Nery is eager to fight the winner later this year, hoping to have fought at least twice by then.

“My team spoke with (WBC President) Mauricio Sulaiman about fighting the winner of Oubaali-Inoue in June,” Nery told Zone ESPN on Friday.

Lol whenever you hear "he a big man with little man skill" dont believe em. I called that shit after the first few overhand rights he took. He had no sense to block or even get out of range of the right. Easy win.

Nigga got beat the fuck up by a fat ass milk dud lookin white dude who sounds like cartman from south park irl.

Homie might as well jus quit boxing

Back