Welcome To aBlackWeb

FEATURED Official Black Web Boxing Corner

test

Yeah I just had a quick Google, seems he may of scratched or caught his eye on the tape of Broner's glove... I think the fact he was pretty ill after the fight with a cold or flu (depending what you read) and him seen wearing an eye patch after the fight too, has hopefully spread some rumours and that its not so serious...

https://www.boxingscene.com/caleb-plant-im-big-dog-168-theyve-got-come-see-me--135609

Caleb Plant: I'm The Big Dog at 168, They've Got To Come See Me
By Lyle Fitzsimmons

As back stories go, few hang with Caleb Plant’s.

So as the confident 26-year-old neared his professional dream – winning the IBF super middleweight title from Jose Uzcategui – he knew the moment of achievement would be pretty powerful.

As it turned out, he really had no idea.

“It was a surreal moment. It was one I’d waited for for a long time and one that I had went through a lot to get. It felt good,” he said. “Like I said, weeks leading up to the fight, I felt like it would be overwhelming and it was. I knew it would be hard to contain my emotions after everything that had happened to get there. When they said ‘And the new,’ it was hard to keep it under control.

“I knew it was coming. You can play it in your head a million times, but it’s never the same as them announcing and it coming to fruition.”

For those unaware, the Tennessee native grew up in rural poverty, endured homelessness as an adult and suffered the ultimate nightmare when his 19-month-old daughter succumbed to a rare illness.

He’d dedicated the championship bout to the late toddler, slept with an image of the IBF belt on the ceiling above his bed and promised he’d bring the real thing back to her grave site as champion.

That inhuman drive to endure, Plant said, stemmed from the mettle forged by tragedy.

“I buried her one Thursday and I was back in the gym the next Thursday,” he said.

“Even throughout my workouts it was hard to keep my emotions in. I was tearing up and crying. But I’m a man and it’s my job, no matter what’s tossed at me through life, to continue on. I still have a job to do and I still have responsibilities. It’s my job as a man to take care of those responsibilities. On top of that I knew that that’s what she would want me to do. So I don’t fold, break or bend for nobody.

“It’s definitely made me a tougher man. I’ve been through things that people don’t even have nightmares about and I came out the other side. I’m stronger for it. I’m better for it. It happened in my life for a reason and I carry Alia with me everywhere I go and I always will. I’m just happy to keep my promise that I made to her. I knew I would, but I’m just happy that I finally brought it to fruition.”

niggaz got no respect for junior welter..

shit like the most skipped over diviision of all time...
and it's funny cuz mad niggaz be too small for welter..

zab would have had a much better career he stays at 140..

broner prolly shouldn't be over 140 either

mikey garcia skipping right over it,

and i wouldn't be surprised if tank debuts at welter in 2020

@Duwop

You mean Super Lightweights??? The division is buzzing over here, I think its kinda interesting atm have you been watching the 'super series'??? Keep a look out for Josh Taylor bro, the dude is real talented...

Yea, that's definitely a weight class that's big over there. I remember Junior witter was a thing .. Lol

But yea, I'll setb my alerts for Taylor

Yea, that's definitely a weight class that's big over there. I remember Junior witter was a thing .. Lol

But yea, I'll setb my alerts for Taylor

Jr Witter haha yeah that name brings back memories!!! I think its a fun weight class, it does seem like a pitstop though, one of those weights fighters dip their toes in and can move up or down through... Historically there have been some great champs still, Aaron Pryor, Benitez, Mayweather, Barney Ross, Chavez, Morales, Marquez, Maidama, Tszyu, Whitaker, Cotto, Zab, Cervantes, Hatton, Meldrick Taylor and obviously Crawford...

https://www.boxingscene.com/arum-wilder-fury-needed-promoter-megaphone--135631

Arum: Wilder-Fury Needed a Promoter and a Megaphone
By Victor Salazar

New York - Legendary promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank has been around boxing for a long time. Throughout the decades, he’s seen many changes in the manner that boxing has been distributed.

The new content distribution deal which his company is under, with ESPN, combines linear television with new-age streaming via ESPN+.

Arum is promoting a pay-per-view between his fighter Terence Crawford (34-0,25 KO’s) and UK star Amir Khan (33-4, 20 KO’s) - which is being distributed on ESPN’s pay-per-view platform.

While he loves the streaming services, he knows that sometimes it is necessary when the fight deems it.

“Pay-per-view is only going to be successful if the attraction is good enough and if you have a microphone behind it to let people know what you have and what you’re going to show,” Arum told BoxingScene.com.

Arum feels ESPN's presence will make the Crawford-Khan fight that much bigger.

Arum broke down another pay-per-view between heavyweights Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder, which was distributed by Showtime.

The fight was better than expected and did pay-per-view numbers where there was a profit behind it.

However, Arum feels the fight could have been much bigger.

“That’s why the Wilder-Fury show wasn’t as big as it could have been,” Arum said. “I didn’t think it was going to be a good fight. It had no promoter and no megaphone. This fight (Crawford-Khan) will do tremendous numbers because it has a megaphone. ESPN will be talking about it throughout their programming. Now some will buy it and some won’t but at least they will make an intelligent decision.”

Arum stands behind his statements and he feels ESPN does too.

“If you do a fight with a lot of these other platforms there is no megaphone, then the general public is unaware of the fight and they won’t care. ESPN is devoted to the sport of boxing and making it a big success on pay-per-view.”

650697B4-58F3-4384-9B31-E61781DC4F60.gif

https://www.boxingscene.com/pacquiao-broner-show-tracking-toward-400000-ppv-buys--135645

Pacquiao-Broner Show Tracking Toward 400,000 PPV Buys
By Keith Idec

Manny Pacquiao’s return to American pay-per-view was much more successful than his previous appearance.

Multiple sources have informed BoxingScene.com that preliminary reports from cable and satellite companies, as well as streaming sources, indicate Showtime’s four-fight Pacquiao-Broner broadcast Saturday night from MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas is tracking toward 400,000 pay-per-view buys in the United States.

The final number could reach 400,000, but it might not quite get there. The final tally largely will depend on buy rates reported by smaller cable companies over the next couple months.

Stephen Espinoza, Showtime’s president of sports and event programming, declined comment regarding Pacquiao-Broner buys. The premium cable network is not expected to release the final figure when it becomes available, either.

Nevertheless, based on figures reported thus far, Pacquiao-Broner out-produced Pacquiao’s prior pay-per-view fight by a significant amount. That fight, Pacquiao’s even easier points victory over Jessie Vargas in November 2016 at UNLV’s Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas, drew nearly 250,000 pay-per-view buys.

The Pacquiao-Vargas show was distributed independently by Top Rank Inc., Pacquiao’s former promoter. His win over Broner marked Pacquiao’s debut fighting for adviser Al Haymon’s Premier Boxing Champions.

Pacquiao-Broner also out-performed Showtime’s Deontay Wilder-Tyson Fury pay-per-view event seven weeks earlier.

The card headlined by Alabama’s Wilder (40-0-1, 39 KOs) and England’s Fury (27-0-1, 19 KOs) resulted in a controversial draw December 2 at Staples Center in Los Angeles. The four-fight Wilder-Fury show produced approximately 325,000 buys, which is considered a success because neither Wilder nor Fury had headlined a pay-per-view event before boxing each other.

Wilder and Fury are expected to fight in an immediate rematch at some point late in the spring.

Even if Pacquiao-Broner ultimately remains under 400,000 buys, it’ll stand as Pacquiao’s best non-Mayweather pay-per-view performance since his rematch with Timothy Bradley. That fight, required because Bradley’s split-decision defeat of Pacquiao in June 2012 was infamously suspect, attracted about 800,000 buys in April 2014.

Their third fight, a seemingly unnecessary rubber match Pacquiao also won in April 2016, produced approximately 375,000 buys.

Mayweather-Pacquiao was the most successful pay-per-view show in sports history. Their long-awaited showdown in May 2015 generated a record 4.6 million pay-per-view buys and the event earned more than $600 million in overall revenue.

Nearly four years later, the 40-year-old Pacquiao beat Broner convincingly in their 12-round, 147-pound championship match.

Pacquiao (61-7-2, 39 KOs) hurt Broner badly during the seventh and ninth rounds. A resourceful Broner (33-4-1, 24 KOs, 1 NC) survived serious trouble in each of those rounds by holding and moving, and he made it to the final bell.

Each of the three judges – Tim Cheatham (116-112), Glenn Feldman (116-112) and Dave Moretti (117-111) – scored the fight for Pacquiao by considerable distances.

Broner strangely insisted that he won the fight, despite that CompuBox credited him for landing only 50 punches, just 4.2 per round.

Pacquiao landed 62 more punches overall than Broner (112-of-568 to 50-of-295), according to CompuBox’s unofficial count. CompuBox credited Pacquiao for connecting on more power punches (82-of-197 to 39-of-180) and jabs (30-of-371 to 11-of-115) against the comparatively inactive Broner.

The 29-year-old Broner brought value to the event, however, from a marketing standpoint.

The former four-division champion is 0-2-1 in his past three fights and hasn’t won a bout since he edged Adrian Granados by split decision in their 10-rounder in February 2017 in Cincinnati, Broner’s hometown. Broner remains one of boxing’s most polarizing figures, though, and continually attracts a high level of viewership for his fights on Showtime.

Some people are calling it a fail bit I think 400k is pretty successful...
Prior to Mayweather I remember 400K being the benchmark for a successful PPV. Reaching a million was considered astronomical numbers, but because Floyd normalised that the expectation is that all fighters can do that. It's just not realistic

Prior to Mayweather I remember 400K being the benchmark for a successful PPV. Reaching a million was considered astronomical numbers, but because Floyd normalised that the expectation is that all fighters can do that. It's just not realistic

I think what Floyd did to PPV's in the 00's is what Tyson did in the 90s, just really raise the bar... There was the exception in America with ODL I think cracking a mill a couple times and obviously AJ over here as of late, but yeah I think so many new 'social media' boxing fans tend to think what Floyd did in the 00's is the norm and anything not at that level is a fail haha

Last edited:
Back