Who Wins Tonight?

• Tank Davis

• Frank Martin

Results are only viewable after voting.
Keith Thurman picks Porter to beat Danny Garcia
Posted on September 4, 2018 | 37 Comments
FacebookTelegramWhatsAppEmailTwitterShare16
garcia-porter-press-0014-720x480.jpg

By Dan Ambrose: Danny Garcia and Shawn Porter will be fighting for Keith Thurman’s vacated WBC welterweight strap his Saturday night on Showtime Boxing at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. Thurman has wins over both fighters, but he appeared to have more problems in defeating Porter (28-2-1, 17 KOs) two years ago in winning a 12 round unanimous decision on June 25, 2016.

Last year, Thurman defeated Garcia (34-1, 20 KOs) by a 12 round majority decision to hand him his first career loss in March 2017. Garcia and his father Angel Garcia insisted that they deserved he victory, but two of the judges felt that Thurman (28-0, 22 KOs) was the better fighter on the night.

With the top welterweights failing to face each other, Garcia vs. Porter is the best that can be hoped for right now. Amir Khan could face Manny Pacquiao later this year. If that fight comes off, it will likely eclipse the fan interest from the Garcia-Porter fight. The fight that many boxing fans want to see is IBF welterweight champion Errol Spence Jr. against WBA Super World welterweight champion Keith Thurman and WBO champion Terence Crawford. Those fights are not going to happen though. Thurman is now looking like he won’t fight at all in 2018 and it’s unclear when he was get back into the ring.

“This is one of the best matchups of the year. I try not to overthink it. It’s Porter by decision or Garcia only by KO. I lean toward PORTER,” Thurman said to Showtime Boxing

Bud resigned with the devil.....smh

Terence Crawford to defend title vs. Jose Benavidez Jr. on Oct. 13

Thursday, September 6, 2018
Terence Crawford to defend title vs. Jose Benavidez Jr. on Oct. 13
By Dan Rafael

Welterweight world titlist Terence Crawford, one of boxing's pound-for-pound elite fighters, signed a contract extension with promoter Top Rank on Thursday, the same day the company announced details of his first defense.

The first fight of Crawford's new promotional deal will take place against unbeaten contender Jose Benavidez Jr. in Crawford's hometown of Omaha, Nebraska, at the CHI Health Center on Oct. 13 (ESPN and ESPN Deportes, 10:30 p.m. ET with the full card streaming on ESPN+ beginning at 7 p.m. ET).

The 30-year-old Crawford (33-0, 24 KOs), who has been with Top Rank since 2011, still had about two years remaining on his deal with Top Rank but both sides were happy to do a new one.

Crawford's new contract comes a month after the announcement of the agreement between Top Rank and ESPN on a new seven-year rights deal that runs until August 2025.

Crawford said the alliance between the promotional company and network was a key reason for his decision to re-sign well before he would have become a free agent.

"I am the best fighter in the world, hands down. ESPN is the biggest brand in sports and Top Rank is the biggest promotional company in boxing," Crawford said. "This was a no-brainer for me and my team. All of the super fights that the world wants to see will happen. Mark my words. Like I've said before, I want all of the champions in the welterweight division."

That is likely complicated given that those fighters, such as titleholders Errol Spence Jr. and Keith Thurman and Danny Garcia and Shawn Porter, who fight for a vacant belt on Saturday night, are aligned with Al Haymon's Premier Boxing Champions, which has deals with Showtime and Fox.

"Terence 'Bud' Crawford is the world's best boxer," Top Rank chairman Bob Arum said. "We will continue our ongoing campaign to establish him as one of the world's most recognizable athletes."

Terms were not announced, but Crawford's minimum purses are more than the $3 million he earned for his last fight, a source with knowledge of the deal told ESPN.

"Without a doubt, this is one of the most lucrative deals for an individual fighter in the history of boxing," said Brian McIntyre, Crawford's trainer and manager. "The deal that I helped put together with Top Rank and ESPN is unprecedented in the modern boxing landscape. If you think you've seen the best of Terence Crawford, you ain't seen nothing yet.

"To all the pretenders out there who want a piece of him, you'll get what is coming. With Top Rank and ESPN in our corner, we are going to make some of the biggest fights in the history of boxing. We will continue to show the world that Terence 'Bud' Crawford is one of the greatest fighters to ever lace up a pair of gloves."

Crawford, a former lightweight world champion and the former undisputed junior welterweight world champion, moved up to the welterweight division in his last fight and stopped Australia's Jeff Horn in the ninth round of a one-sided fight to win a title in a third division on June 9 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

It was Crawford's first bout since he blew away Julius Indongo in a third-round knockout victory in August 2017 to become the undisputed junior welterweight world champion -- the first fighter to unify all the major 140-pound titles in the four-belt era.

But Crawford will need top opponents to prove McIntyre's words true. And though Benavidez is undefeated, he will be a heavy underdog. Benavidez, however, is nothing if not game. He did what few fighters will do -- he called Crawford out in February when they both were at a boxing event in Corpus Christi, Texas. He accused Crawford of ducking him and Crawford invited him to "step outside" before cooler heads prevailed.

"The Crawford-Benavidez fight is an old-time grudge match," Arum said. "These are two elite fighters who don't care for each other, to put it mildly. They will battle each other at a fever pitch."

Said Crawford: "This fight is the fight he has been calling for, and now he will get the chance to see what it's like to be in the ring with a real champion. I'll happily give him his first L."

Benavidez (27-0, 18 KOs), 26, of Phoenix, who used to hold an interim junior welterweight belt before giving it up to go up in weight, nearly saw his career end when he was shot in the leg in August 2016 while out for a walk in his neighborhood.

Benavidez, the older brother of super middleweight world titlist David Benavidez, returned from a 17-month layoff in February and has won two fights, including a first-round knockout of then-unbeaten Frank Rojas on the Crawford-Horn undercard.

"I've been wanting this fight for three years. I know I have what it takes to beat him, and I am going to beat him," Benavidez said. "Crawford has been running his mouth and saying I'm a nobody. I'm going to take full advantage of this opportunity."

Besides the fight card, ESPN will also air live coverage of the weigh-in on Oct. 12 (ESPN2, 5:30 p.m. ET with replays at 9 p.m. ET and 1:30 a.m. ET on ESPNEWS).

March 4th 2017 is the last time Keith Thurman fought in the ring.

https://www.boxingscene.com/pbc-names-barclays-center-official-east-coast-venue--131558

PBC Names Barclays Center as Official East Coast Venue

Premier Boxing Champions (PBC), the world-renowned boxing series created for television, has named Barclays Center as the official East Coast home of the PBC.

Barclays Center will host PBC’s biggest and best fights, with the first fight as part of the alliance slated for December, details of which will be announced in the coming months. BROOKLYN BOXING, and its digital home at brooklynboxingshop.com, will also activate at all PBC events nationwide with ring mat branding.

Through the alliance, BROOKLYN BOXING, Barclays Center’s boxing franchise, will receive unprecedented promotion and exposure to boxing fans around the globe through PBC television outlets FOX, FS1, and Showtime, further cementing Barclays Center as the leading boxing venue in North America.

PBC, a live boxing series created by Haymon Sports, LLC, showcases boxing’s best and brightest stars with a roster that includes a collection of world champions from bantamweight to heavyweight.

Barclays Center has hosted 15 PBC events, which is more than any other venue worldwide. Notable moments include welterweight Keith Thurman’s victories over Danny Garcia and Shawn Porter, and this year’s contender for fight of the year in heavyweight Deontay Wilder’s March 4 victory over Luis Ortiz.

“Barclays Center is proud to be the official East Coast home of the PBC,” said Brett Yormark, CEO of BSE Global. “As our commitment to the sport expands, boxing has truly become another anchor franchise at the venue. In fact, today’s announcement guarantees a minimum of eight fights annually at Barclays Center, bringing many more unforgettable moments to our ring.”

“Premier Boxing Champions is excited to call Barclays Center its official East Coast home,’’ said Tim Smith, Vice President of Communications for Haymon Sports. “Barclays Center has become synonymous with superb boxing events and PBC is thrilled to continue its relationship with the arena and add to that growing legacy.’’

The fights we wanna see Bud in won't happen.
nope..

he's the next pacquiao.....bob arum gonna block every fight... but hes gonna have the media say the guys are scared of him...

he's going to make us end up hating bud while only matching him with top rank bums.....

he's gonna claim errol spence is outpricing himself....al haymon is impossible to negotiate with, and oscar protects his fighters too much....

these are the excuses we're going to hear from bud crawfords camp during this contract extension....

https://www.boxingscene.com/keith-thurman-serve-guest-analyst-garcia-porter--131588

Keith Thurman Will Serve as Guest Analyst For Garcia-Porter

Welterweight World Champion Keith Thurman will serve as a guest analyst this Saturday on SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING COUNTDOWN, providing insight and analysis during undercard streaming fights in advance of this Saturday’s Danny Garcia vs. Shawn Porter WBC Welterweight World Championship. Live streaming coverage from Barclays Center begins at 7 p.m. ET/4 p.m. PT on the SHOWTIME Sports YouTube channel and SHOWTIME Boxing Facebook page and features multiple live fights and analysis preceding the evening’s three-fight SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING® telecast (9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT).

In the featured bout of SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING COUNTDOWN, Amanda Serrano (34-1-1, 26 KOs) will attempt to make women’s boxing history as the five-division world champion faces Yamila Esther Reynoso (11-4-3, 8 KOs) the vacant WBO Junior Welterweight World Title. A win will place Serrano in elite company alongside Manny Pacquiao and Oscar De La Hoya as boxing’s only six-division world champions.

Thurman will join host Ray Flores and analyst Chris Mannix to call the streaming action Saturday from Brooklyn. The reigning WBA Welterweight Champion, Thurman has previously defeated both of Saturday’s headliners. “One Time” edged Porter in a 2016 Fight of The Year Candidate, and narrowly defeated Garcia in a split-decision win to unify the division in 2017.

Saturday’s SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING COUNTDOWN will feature multiple bouts in what will be the seventh digital presentation of live fights from SHOWTIME Sports in 2018. For the third straight year, the network continues to deliver industry-leading livestream coverage of boxing free to all U.S. consumers with internet access.

Polish slugger Adam Kownacki and former heavyweight champion Charles Martin will open up Saturday’s SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING telecast with a 10-round heavyweight attraction. In the co-feature, 147-pound contender Yordenis Ugas will battle against Argentinian favorite Cesar Barrionuevo in a welterweight world-title eliminator showdown.

Khan want the money....

Both Kell Brook eyes broke anyway..... That nigga ain't nuffin

Bruh, I went all in with Danny...

Imma be sick if he lose....

I just feel he gotta bounce back after that thurman decision... Porter good...I just don't think he that elite level... Danny right there and can prove it tonight..

Kinda amped

Bruh, I went all in with Danny...

Imma be sick if he lose....

I just feel he gotta bounce back after that thurman decision... Porter good...I just don't think he that elite level... Danny right there and can prove it tonight..

Kinda amped
Bad move porter wants this shit bad. He proved it to me with his fight with berto. He will die before he takes a 10ct. I'm thinking Danny is lost without his father 100%. Dont underestimate this dude he's going for blood

Back