Welcome To aBlackWeb

Movie Night (Official Movie Discussion Thread)

Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire

Monster Mash

PRAISE: Going back to Hollow Earth a few months after the season finale of Monarch: Legacy of Monsters is fine by me especially when the movie starts with a well enough foundation of everyone and thing adjusting.
The world adjusting to Godzilla,Kong and other Kaiju creatures. Jia (Kaylee Hottle), the mute child with a special connection with Kong adjusting to life on Earth. The best parts of the film for me are all of the interactions and fights between the creatures. The standout is Kongs discovery of and face offs with other giant gorillas ruled over by the cruel, vicious Skar King and a younger simian creature that bonds with Kong. There's some great CGI work throughout the movie that still brings back memories of movies like The Land That Time Forgot. Oh and also the latest Planet of the Apes movies.The action sequences are fun and exciting and I applaud the designers and SFX crews who came up with some great creature designs.

PROBLEMS: Godzilla kind of takes a back seat in this one. It's as if the movie says let's see what he's up to for a few minutes oh OK back to Kongs story and the humans being silly for the most part, Godzilla will be back for the inevitable team up.I think i laughed once at the human antics.There are a couple of predictable moments especially an ultra predictable moment when a character that gets taken out rather quickly.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7½

Prey

This is a strange movie and not because of the plot about a young couple who after being threatened with death by an extremist militant gang; after crashing their aircraft, they must battle man and beast for their lives.
but the decisions the writer and Director make. Starts off very dull and oddly a lot of action happens off screen. Only screaming and yelling are heard. I give it points for some good kills they actually show and some great unintentional laughs. Nice shots of the African plains.Mena Suvari has oddly only been in a few movies as of late for only about 10 to 15 minutes. One character suddenly switches up from my way or the highway to caring for no real reason at all. Definitely on my worst of 2024 list

Scale of 1 to 10 a 2½

Heart of the Hunter

This movie is definitely the Nigerian version of Jason Bourne but it definitely has its own thrilling,suspenseful, surprising moments and story paths with a plot about a retired assassin who is pulled back into action when his friend uncovers a dangerous conspiracy at the heart of the South African government. The actors turn in great performances. The action sequences are choreographed to a T,along with some great hand to hand fighting sequences.
The only flaws are some bad green screen shots,and it's a bit to on the nose and clichéd at times.

Scale of 1 to 10 an 8½

Finally saw Everything Everywhere All at Once

15/10

This was one of the best movies I've ever seen in my life. It was so fuckin good.

Tried to find the thread but fuck it. This film deserved ALL the awards it got. What a ride

Knox Goes Away

Slickly Surprising

PRAISE: There is something so entertaining and appealing about movies with plots about old school hitman,thieves and gangsters. That one last job right before or at the start of them losing their touch. Knox Goes Away is all of that and then some. Nicely directed by and Starring Michael Keaton who turns in a moving performance. Great turns from a who's who in Hollywood cast including James Marsden, Suzy Nakamura, Joanna Kulig, Ray McKinnon, John Hoogenakker, Lela Loren, Marcia Gay Harden, and Al Pacino
As jazzy tunes play in the background the film plays out in a way that is calming but with explosions of violence. It's written in a way that I immediately cared for Knox and what he was going through. The loose ends and regrets in life are written all over his face and when presented with a couple of tricky situations he's sees it as a way to get some type of revenge for betrayal and to make things right which plays out in an interesting and involving way.

PROBLEMS: There are a couple of predictable turns. There is a really big unintentionally funny moment...but then again maybe it's a good thing.

Scale of 1 to 10 an 8

Monkey Man

Manic Monkey

PRAISE: This story about loss,revenge and enlightenment works for the most part due to some great performances and well choreographed fight scenes. The story is about Kid who attempts to make money in a fight club but determined to infiltrate a sinister group to avenge his mother's death. Dev Patel turns in an unflinching performance as well as writing, producing, and Directing the film. His script provides a little bit of everything as Kid plots his revenge but also finds himself face to face with colorful characters portrayed by Sharlto Copley, Pitobash, Vipin Sharma,Sobhita Dhulipala and Ashwini Kalsekar. There's nothing quite like the salty dialogue in the film when its said with an Indian tongue. There's some very intense fighting and I can see why Patel broke some bones while filming and being a part of these sequences. I appreciated the unique kills in the movie.

PROBLEMS: The political sections of the story felt jumbled to me.While I appreciated and understood the placement of the Ayahuasca and getting in touch with your spiritual side,training moments in the movie but this is also when the movie starts to stall and the script feels a bit to drawn out.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7

Civil War

War Wage

PRAISE: Director and writer Alex Garlands film about a dystopian future America, and a team of military-embedded journalists races against time to reach Washington, D.C., before rebel factions descend upon the White House is effective and then some. I liked how the layers are slowly but surely pulled back on what effect the new civil war has had on America in this movie. Those that take advantage of the war and those that simply tune it out. I did enjoy the vibe of the various characters in the film portrayed by Kirsten Dunst, Wagner Moura, Cailee Spaeny, Stephen McKinley Henderson, Sonoya Mizuno, and Nick Offerman all turning in strong performances ranging from world weary,pessimistic, to wide eyed determined and ambitious. As the movie played out I kept thinking would their actually be reporters and photojournalism actually covering a near apocalyptic situation......probably.
Some parts of the movie definitely reminded me of get the story no matter what movies like The Year of Living Dangerously and Under Fire.
There's a standout scene in the movie that displays just how bad things can get when division takes place on a grand scale i found it to be extremely intense and harrowing.
There's disturbing imagery throughout the movie some that are truly not for the faint of heart. Action sequences towards the end of the film were very involving.

PROBLEMS: I would have liked a bit more backstory on how things turned into brother against brother, and who was accountable. I was waiting for the one year earlier caption to hit the screen. There are a few predictable moments.

Scale of 1 to 10 an 8½

Back