Welcome To aBlackWeb

Movie Night (Official Movie Discussion Thread)

I saw Society of the Snow. I really liked it.
The acting was good, and the story in general had no loose ends or ambiguities. I recommend it.

Damsel

Determined Damsel

PRAISE: This fairytale which turns into a solo survival story for the most part definitely has its moments. The core story about a young woman tricked into a marriage is thrown into a cave with a fire-breathing dragon and must rely solely on her wits and will to survive.
Millie Bobby Brownas Elodie turns in a good performance as it's almost mainly a one woman show.Shohreh Aghdashloo turns in some great voice work as the Dragon. The set design is also impressive as Elodie finds her way around the labyrinth like lair of the dragon . The writer Dan Mazeau and director Juan Carlos Fresnadillo definitely do a good job of putting the audience in Elodies shoes as she tanks in the wonders of the caves and goes on perilous path of survival. The CGI and visuals were impressive for the most part, with some truly standout scenes

PROBLEMS: I wish a few characters had been developed more.Angela Bassett looks very beautiful but she mainly just looks worried and shocked in the scenes she's in. Robin Wright just glares at people who she thinks are beneath her and yells a couple of threats. There are a few hokey by chance moments. There are a few moments I couldn't get on board with and I wondered why they were set up in a certain way. This is one of those movies in which I started to wish certain things would happen to make the story stronger and not mainly one note.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 6½

TUBI took this movie down due to the sex scenes looking to realistic. The director says an edited version will return to the service....HILARIOUS

I bet this thang fya.

There's other ways to cop this one besides Tubi and I may already have it. Off-brand knock off sites. Let me check my stash cause I ain't even watched this one yet.

Origin

True Connections

PRAISE: Ava DuVernay’s Origin may be her most effective and memorable movie yet. The story based on Isabel Wilkerson's landmark book to frame the conversation about segregation and inequality on a global scale and the raw emotion coupled with it.
The movie is effective with a capital E the performances from the cast are so true and down to Earth so praise to the cast including: Aunjanue Ellis-Taylor, Jon Bernthal, Niecy Nash-Betts, Emily Yancy, Blair Underwood and Vera Farmiga.
The movie truly displays how love and friendship can defy any hurdles the pain and power of racism may have.
The visuals are soul stirring and then some. Some are very triggering. When the film turns to Allison and Elizabeth Davis, Black anthropologists who saw first-hand the book burning in Nazi Germany and White anthropologists Burleigh and Mary Gardner and their brave and then some undercover work it was an eye opening revelation to me and I definitely want to read their book Deep South. The film reveals how some connections were for the good in the research of racism and how some studies and connections were sinister.
The film is so many things,part family drama and lecture with a bit of a documentary vibe blended in and it really works for the most part.

PROBLEMS: I would have liked to have spent more time with certain characters that inhabit the film instead of long dwelling shots of humiliation. Some parts of the movie are to on the nose and blatant.

Scale of 1 to 10 an 8½

Love Lies Bleeding

Boundless Love !!!!

PRAISE: Yes its a love story....a crazy,tension filled, blood soaked one !!
The story Lou is a reclusive gym manager who falls hard for Jackie, an ambitious bodybuilder who's heading to Las Vegas to pursue her dream....that slowly turns into a nightmare. Director and writer Rose Glass and co writer Weronika Tofilska put together a story with all of the small town connections and grit of a nineties thriller that has an enthusiastic and then some cast including : Kristen Stewart, Katy O’Brian who is a revelation even though i know her from The Mandalorian, Anna Baryshnikov, Jena Malone Ed Harris, and Dave Franco. The passion and love at first sight between the main characters is very believable as the story lays out tension and ties to pasts that are filled with sinister doings but also couple with dreams of wanting more in life and wanting to escape from certain paths in life. The violence in the movie is definitely not for the faint of heart and some visuals are very shocking. Speaking of visuals there are some that are really well done and trippy. The film gets so many things right as the characters find themselves painted into corners,even when some of their hearts are in the right place it has shocking outcomes. There is a great running gag about trying to quit a vice.

PROBLEMS: Thinking back on a nod to an animated classic in the movie, I should have seen a unintentionally funny visual coming. It happens late in the film but it's so crazy it did take me out of the film. I'm really curious to how other people will have a just go with it feeling about it or did it disrupt all of the great things the movie has going for it.

Scale of 1 to 10 an 8

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire

Going Bust !!

PRAISE : Fourty Years after the first movie brings fans of the series to Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire and its story about the discovery of an ancient artifact that unleashes an evil force, Ghostbusters new and old team up to try and stop it. The strongest parts of the story involve McKenna Grace’s Phoebe and and Emily Alyn Lind as Melody. Even though I could see where their part of the story was going it was definitely the most charming and involving thread. Grace does well with the sense of longing and wonder for Phoebe has.
If anyone is looking for GB nostalgia there is tons of it here and I really didn't mind some of it.I liked that Ernie Hudsons Winston Zeddlemore was the voice of reason. There is a great scene with him and Dan Akroyds Ray Stantz
The villain and look of the villain was very interesting also it's power set was thrilling to see. There are some great scenes involving animation, new ghost busting tech and a handful of new ghosts. There are never really any laugh out loud moments but definitely a few chuckle worthy moments. Yes its still great to see the veteran, core Ghostbusters even though they are underused.

PROBLEMS: To many cast members with not much to do. I can just see the producers and casting standing around saying: well this actor/comedian has a fan base let's put them in the movie for a scene or two. Unfortunately those scenes are painfully unfunny and dull. The shtick that worked in previous GB films is overdone in this movie so much so I found myself begging the movie to move on. Some moments felt tacked on and cheesy. I guess it all depends on how much cash the movie can scare up if another GB movie will be made but I'm fine with the films ending here.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 5½

Roadhouse

Rocky Road

PRAISE: The original Roadhouse starring the late great Patrick Swayze is the go to fun, intense, action and memorable one liner movies of all time. I respect this 2024 version for trying to be it's own thing. Changing things up with the background of the main character and the settings. This versions story Ex-UFC fighter Dalton takes a job as a bouncer at a Florida Keys roadhouse, only to discover that this paradise is not all it seems.
I thought Jake Gyllenhaal delivered a good and subdued but ready for action performance. As Ben Brandt, Billy Magnussen is funny as a jerk off living in his daddy's shadow and wanting to take over the Roadhouse.Conor McGregor as Knox, a sociopath is a cartoon character, complete with a Popeye stance and walk and he was entertaining for the most part. The action sequences are well done for the most part and I can see why Director Doug Liman wanted his movie to be seen on the big screen some would have definitely looked great on an IMAX screen. There are a few funny one liners.

PROBLEMS: The romantic part of the story with Ellie (Daniela Melchior) is watered down almost literally. Some of the fight scenes feel muted and over choreographed. I can almost see the director saying when you raise your left leg I want you to tilt and......
So many other characters are underwritten and I never really go to know them enough to care about them.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7½

Decided to watch the Scream series

I stopped after 3

Watched 4 last night and it was woof

Back