Welcome To aBlackWeb

Movie Night (Official Movie Discussion Thread)

Godzilla Minus One

Godzilla Greatness

PRAISE: Director and writer Takashi Yamazaki grounds his story and take on the legendary monster with a human story that is filled with regret,love, and trauma.
Great raw emotion and acting from Ryunosuke Kamiki and Minami Hamabe. Their bond is as believable as is Kamikis display of guilt as Koichi after turning his back at a critical moment in the closing days of World War II . Showing the effects of war visually and the trauma that sets in after it was very effective in the movie. The SFX and action sequences are on point as certain sequences have a dizzying effect and are so involving I found myself trying to wave characters away from danger. Seeing Godzilla massively take down anything in his path was thrilling to watch and particularly effective when there are close ups of the destruction he is causing. I actually felt something for the characters instead of just chalking them up as fodder for Godzilla.

PROBLEMS: A couple of moments are predictable and I couldn't get on board with how a couple of situations played out.

Scale of 1 to 10 an 8½

FinestKind

Fine to Fail

PRAISE : After figuring out who the characters were and related to I got into the groove of this movie about Two brothers from opposite sides of the tracks are reunited as adults. Desperate circumstances force them into a deal with an organized crime syndicate in Boston, and a young women gets caught in the middle.
There were a couple of characters I immediately started rooting for and they were portrayed by Toby Wallace as Charlie and Jenna Ortega as Mabel.
There was the usual family angst about living up to one's potential, dissapointing family members and the father and son turmoil which I was ok with. Ben Foster does well as Charlie's brother Tom. It's always great to have the presence of Tommy Lee Jones around and it was nice to see Lolita Davidovich and Tim Daly in a project again. The life of a deep sea fisherman is nicely displayed from the longing for the sea to how dangerous it can be.I was glad I was spared from something crazy I thought was really going to happen.

PROBLEMS: The movie becomes very clichéd almost immediately as the crime part of the film begins. The grit in the film starts to lose its edge. Then things start to become far to convenient and easy for certain characters. I actually started laughing at one character who was a complete pushover.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 6

BIRDEMIC Shock and Terror

BAD BAD BAD

This is one of those bad movies that has to be seen to be believed. It's legendary bad from the acting to the absolutely horrible SFX. It's amazing to watch people sit through it like i did, to laugh at and be as horrified as i was at absolutely everything that happened in it. I hear it was made for ten grand but it looks like it was made for ten bucks.Another crazy fact there are four sequels out there !! Some people call it the best worst movie ever and i completely agree.

Critic review scale of 1 to 10 a 0

Just for laughs scale of 1 to 10 an 8

Rebel Moon —Part One: Child of Fire

Rebel Rememberance

PRAISE: Director and writer Zacks Snyders latest movie definitely made me remember about a dozen Sci Fi and Fantasy films that have come before it.
I admire it for its ambition as the story about a peaceful colony on the edge of a galaxy finds itself threatened by the armies of a tyrannical ruling force, Kora (Sofia Boutella) rebels and gathers other rebels throughout the galaxy.
The various characters are interesting including Djimon Hounsou as Titus ; Ed Skrein as Atticus Noble ; Bae Doona as Nemesis ; Ray Fisher as Bloodaxe ; Charlie Hunnam as Kai and Cleopatra Coleman as Devra. The action sequences are good for the most part laced with some good SFX . There some good character building especially for Kora and the various worlds have interesting looks and detail.

PROBLEMS: There are some areas in which the movie is lacking in creativity. I definitely sat there saying that's from Star Wars and oh that's from the Matrix.
The problem with setting up a universe like this with a sequel already in place even with a two hour and fifteen minute run time several of the multiple characters are going to have well let's find out more of them next time arc.Some of the action sequences are a bit jumbled.
The dialog was definitely a bit off at times adding to an almost lumbering feel the movie has at times. Definitely a couple of predictable moments.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom

Addio Aquaman

PRAISE : Trying to settle into a life as a father, husband, king of Atlantis and Aquaman isn't easy and is made even more difficult by a revenge seeking Black Manta.
Jason Momoa always seems to enjoy himself as Aquaman so no surprises there. Basically the same as he ever was but leaning towards being more responsible. The lost kingdom parts of the film were interesting with the finding of ancient weapons and creatures suddenly turned on and awakened.
When Aquaman teams up with hi half-brother Orm Marius, aka the Ocean Master (Patrick Wilson) the movie turns into an underwater Tango and Cash . There are some funny moments and oneliners between the two. Especially with Orm being the "fish out of water"
Seeing the different factions that make up hidden portions of the world was fun.There was a standout action sequence I really enjoyed and I really liked how it was filmed.
Black Manta , aka David Kane (Yahya Abdul-Mateen II), has always been one of my favorite DC villains so it was still a thrill to see the character in live action.
I applaud everyone behind the great creature designs and CGI used when the origin of The Lost Kingdom is told. I appreciate them not fully taking the hey lets all be friends route.

PROBLEMS: Definitely some cheesy and silly moments throughout the movie. There are several maybe we shouldn't do that moments in the movie which just added to the predictable paths the story takes. The stakes and revenge portions of the story felt watered down from what the trailers for the movie offered. The first movie was definitely better. It lacks the punch and memorable moments of the first film like The Trench and when Aquaman accepts his destiny and rides in thunderously into battle. Maybe the WB cut to many parts and just wanted to close this Era of DC movies quickly.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7

Ferrari

Fast but not Full

PRAISE: This is the third biopic I have watched this year in which the person in the title is smart and successful but has an ultra complicated personal life.
Adam Driver completely immerses himself into the role of Enzo Ferrari. It is Drivers performance and some pretty good make up work that made me forget I was watching Driver. There is a coldness to him,but through the performance you see how passionate and loving Ferrari was about the women in his life and his children. The passion for having the best cars and racers in the lanes is also displayed in a great way.
I really love how actresses are being directed and how the actresses are portraying the women in these biopic as of late. It's not always through yelling or their actions on screen but what is expressed on their faces the disdain and the pain. I think Penelope Cruz as the wife of Ferrari ,Laura nails all of the aforementioned. Shailene Woodleys performance as Lina Lardi,Ferraris long time lover and mother of his son Piero may be more quiet and subdued than Cruzs you can see the longing in her expressions and words to Ferrari.
Director Michael man does well with the family drama ,the whole Ferrari dynamic is what grabbed me in the movies first few minutes. What's said between them made me very involved.
The racing scenes are tightly shot with the addition of narrow roads and streets as the cars zoom through were very thrilling. One scene literally took my b breath away.

PROBLEMS: I wish there had been a better balance between the dramatic and racing scenes. Some just didn't blend well. When the movie ends I couldn't help but feel like something had been left out of the full course meal I thought I was being served. Sure I know you can't jam a person's whole life into two or three hours but I think at least twenty more minutes would have satisfied me.

Scale of 1 to 10 an 8½

Back