Welcome To aBlackWeb

Movie Night (Official Movie Discussion Thread)

The Marvels

Mediocre Marvels

PRAISE: I guess some execs at Marvel/Disney also found the First Captain Marvel to be to bland and one note like me and decided to take a different approach but does any of it work?
Some of it actually does in this film that brings The Marvels Brie Larson as Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel · Iman Vellani as Kamala Khan/Ms. Marvel · Teyonah Parris as Monica Rambeau together.
They have great chemistry and the writers do a good job of connecting the dots of the three lead characters. They work well together,it was fun seeing them in some of the lighthearted scenes. There's even some clever ways to unify the characters and bring the audience up to date on the characters. I laughed a few times and there are a few action packed and adventurous scenes.
The mid credits scene did give me hope about the future of Marvel films and streaming shows.

PROBLEMS: The odd shifts in tone took me out of the film several times. I remembered how in a couple of the Thor movies the comedic skits were brief in this film they seem endless. A couple of scenes are head scratchers I kept asking why are they doing this ? They might as well do this but they keep it going just to hopefully get some laughs out of some visuals. I have enjoyed Zawe Ashtons performances in the shows The Handmaids Tale and Guerilla but her role in this as the villain Dar-Benn is one note ,absolutely nothing intimidating or interesting about the character. Samuel Jackson as Nick Fury is basically Bosley from Charlie's Angel's in this movie.
Sure I knew from the first trailer this was going to be mainly a comedy but I didn't expect it to be seventy percent sitcom.
I think it's funny how Marvel/Disney suddenly tried to change the marketing for Marvels a few days before it's release with a serious and more reflective trailer because it had already been promoted as a wacky and more joke filled feature months ago. This should have gone straight to Disney+ it would have fit right in with a lot of Marvel shows they offer on there.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 4½

She Came to Me

I have to give this movie about people trying to find purpose, love,and understanding plus regain creativity an E for effort for trying to be a little bit of everything. There is enough in this movie that kept me interested and the acting from the cast including Peter Dinklage · Anne Hathaway · Marisa Tomei · Evan Ellison · Harlow Jane · Joanna Kulig · Brian d'Arcy James and Judy Gold give it their all . It just fails to have that perfect balance of comedy and drama. I laughed at how crazy some situations were, I was involved when it became heavily dramatic but I was taken out of the film several times because the switches in tones are very extreme. Very likeable but also lacking at times.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7½

Resident Evil: Death Island on Netflix

New improved virus that infects people without getting bit super quickly and they all get bit yet don't turn. Ton of corny moments during the "boss" fight

The Holdovers

Heartwarming with a capital H

PRAISE : Director Alexander Payne and actor Paul Giamatti team up again for The Holdovers about a New England school instructor who soon forms an unlikely bond with a brainy but damaged troublemaker, and with the school's head cook.
The setting for the movie couldn't be more perfect, the coldness and bleakness of winter is synonymous with what several characters are experiencing or have experienced. Giamatti is great as usual, especially when his character is pushed into a corner and questioned about something, the pitch of his voice rising is not only funny but extremely entertaining and then some. Equally great are Dominic Sessa as Angus Tully and Da’Vine Joy Randolph as Mary Lamb. Both giving strong ,dramatic and amusing performances.
Paynes signature story threads always bring a smile to my face especially when they go down unexpected roads.
I liked how the film focuses for some time on how someone may think that they know all there is to a person: Oh he's just a his way or the highway dictator ,this person is holier than thou or upstanding to a T.
The layers are pulled back on the characters and the back stories on them are amusing, sad and extremely moving.

PROBLEMS: At times some of the turns in the script are a bit to spelled out and predictable

Scale of 1 to 10 a 9

Dream Scenario

Dream Drifter

PRAISE : Nicolas Cage is great as an everyday joe college professor that hundreds to thousands of people are suddenly dreaming about.
One of the best things about the movie is its display of suddenly being famous and how it effects a person's life. All of the exhilarating and fun things about it but also it's dark sides and how anonymity fades away. Even at the start of his sudden fame you can see his wife Janet (quiet but good performance from Julianne Nicholson) start to chafe at it especially when it involves an ex girlfriend.
Michael Cera is very funny in a scene as a marketing mogul. I can just see Cage in my minds eye complimenting Cera and saying: that's exactly how I would have played it.
The movie doesn't hold back on how fame can lead a person down paths they would have never considered before.
How some turns in the story play out are haunting and reflective of situations celebrities have found themselves in as of late.

PROBLEMS: Even though some of the scenes towards the end of the film are funny, most of it is repetitive as if Director and writer Kristoffer Borgli is wondering if the viewer has gotten the point. I know I did far before the movies last twenty minutes.

Scale of 1 to 10 an 8

Thanksgiving

Thanks for Originality

PRAISE: I remember laughing so hard and being disturbed by the mock Thanksgiving trailer in 2007's Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino cult classic film Grindhouse. Sixteen years later a real Thanksgiving horror flick has finally hit the big screen. Director Eli Roth has assembled a pretty good cast including Patrick Dempsey, Karen Cliche, Gabriel Davenport, Tomaso Sanelli, Jalen Thomas Brooks, Milo Manheim, Gina Gershon and Rick Hoffman. It's the usual fodder of jocks,cheerleaders, meatheads,love rivals and uncaring people.
I liked the immediate reminder of why I don't participate in anything that has to do with Black Friday madness in the standout opening scene of the movie.
Which was a good foundation and link to the carnage that was to come.
The first 45 minutes was a pretty good guessing game of who the Killer Carver was.
The kills were very inventive and blood soaked for the most part. I can tell Roth and writer Jeff Rendell are fans of slasher flicks like Massacre at Central High. They both come up with some gory original ideas and I was happy to see some of the insanity from the 2007 trailer was carried over into this movie.

PROBLEMS:Some of the acting is bad throughout the movie. Several characters vanish for long periods of time. Some of the practical effects look pretty bad. Especially in one scene in which a body looks like one of those science kit human body toys.
Once the movie hits the 45 minute mark I figured out who the Killer was. I pretty much knew who would make it to the end aside from one horror trope change up.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 6

Hunger Games, The: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes

Good Games

When this prequel was announced all I could think was Money Grab!! Plus it features a character who's fate is already well known but this movie was surprisingly entertaining. The story mainly focuses on Coriolanus Snow (played with good intensity by Tom Blyth),what shaped him and what he had to endure as a young man. Which all happens well partially happens at the time of the Tenth Hunger Games. The cast does well with some definite stand out performances. That being Viola Davis as Head Gamemaker Dr. Volumnia Gaul . She chews up the scenery as a character who is like a cross between a Disney Witch and a G.I Joe Cobra villain. As Lucy Gray Baird Rachel Zegler gets to show off her vocal talents.
I liked the tug of wars the characters had to go through. To rebel or not to rebel, should I choose power over love. I could tell someone in the writing room said turn up the cruelty because some scenes were full of characters being degraded and then some which actually angered and disturbed me.The action sequences were pretty good due to some slick camera work which made them very involving.

PROBLEMS: The movie definitely felt drawn out at times. There's a moment that's supposed to be moving and hugely emotional but it just felt like I was watching an odd version of American Idol.
A few characters were underdeveloped which lead to me not really being invested in them.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7½

Napoleon

Romance and Rule

PRAISE: The last time I watched a movie or a series based on the life of Napoleon was 1987's Napoleon and Josephine: A Love Story and it was pretty good.
So of course I was looking forward to this 2023 Napoleon movie with so much talent behind it. Director Ridley Scott, Joaquin Phoenix as Emperor Napoleon and as Empress Josephine Vanessa Kirby.
Even minus an accent Phoenix at times shines in the role and gives it his all. Especially in scenes with Kirby really displaying the volatile relationship between Napoleon and Josephine. Whether it's through insults,affection,their banter and dependence on each other I think they both did very well with those portions of the movie.
There's some dark humor I really enjoyed. The battle sequences are intense and brutal. I respect Scott's direction and the crew behind putting those scenes together.
There are definitely some visuals that were very soul stirring.

PROBLEMS : There are moments when watching Phoenix's performance I felt that he was miscast either he was trying to hard or not enough sometimes feeling like a parody of the historic figure. There's also a disorder to the movie in how things play out. The script is just stating well here's one highlight here and another here,oh and Napoleon did this or that or so on.
Even at a 2 hour and 30 minute run time it really feels like something is missing as certain facts about Napoleons triumphs and defeats are not fully realized . Which makes me look forward to the 4 and a half hour version that's supposed to hit Apple TV. Which I will definitely break up and turn it into a 4 hour and 30 minute series.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7

Maestro

Music Master

PRAISE : Having watched West Side Story multiple times back in the day I was definitely familiar with the music of legendary composer and conductor Leonard Bernstein. Bradley Coopers Maestro is not only a tribute to Bernstein but his wife Felicia Montealegre ,and the music and entertainment of the time periods covered in the movie. I think Cooper and co writer Josh Singer capture Bernsteins love for music, his struggles with being bisexual ,wanting it all and trying to be discreet and protective. Cooper is great as Bernstein really losing himself in and embracing the role. I could really tell he did his homework on Bernstein.
Carey Mulligan turns in a terrific person as Montealegre.The joy and pain of being with Bernstein is written all over her face. In some standout scenes she attempts to ignore certain things going on around her, trying to ignore one particular person as respect for her and her relationship with Bernstein is slowly but surely pushed out of the picture. Her rationalizing over some of Bernsteins actions was well done.
Coopers blending of scenes are done nicely. There's a really great scene that truly shows joy and pain simultaneously happening. I found a lot of dramatic moments to be extremely effective. They really ring true .

PROBLEMS: There is a scene that I wish Cooper had shot differently, made it more up close and personal because it was a build up to what was coming.
Some scenes are overdone. Part of it is in the nineteen forties part of the film. The others are connected to the last thirty minutes of the film,which felt like Oscar bait and then some.

Scale of 1 to 10 an 8

Saltburn

Tolerance Testing

PRAISE: This story is similar to The Talented Mister Ripley but turned up a few notches in which
A student is invited to an eccentric classmate's estate for an exciting summer.
Right from the start I will say this movie IS NOT for everyone. If you ever watched shows like OZ or P Valley you may be able to watch the full two hours of it.
The cast including Barry Keoghan as Oliver Quick ; Jacob Elordi as Felix Catton ; Rosamund Pike as Lady Elspeth Catton, Felix's mother ; Richard E. Grant as Sir James Catton, Felix's father and Carey Mulligan as "Poor Dear" Pamela are all very good.
I liked how there was this level of underestimation that was displayed and characters were as shocked and taken aback as I was when they realized they didn't have the upper hand and that they weren't above a character. There's a lot of underlying anger ,angst,sadness and resentment in the ultra eccentric characters in the movie that made them even more interesting. I accepted some of the surreal craziness that happened in the movie. There is a lot of dark humor which I liked for the most part.To watch a character not only slowly be revealed and realized was fun. Director and writer Emerald Fennell the woman behind Killing Eve and Promising Young woman is still providing shock and entertaining stories.

PROBLEMS: The last 30 minutes were predictable for the most part.There were some things I couldn't get on board with. I've watched some crazy movies and TV shows over the years that had many off putting scenes but some of the scenes in this film were to over the top for me. I definitely gagged and put my head down a few times.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7

Silent Night

Silence and Violence

I have to give this movie points for trying something different in the revenge and avenge genre. The story is about A grieving father enacting his long-awaited revenge against a ruthless gang on Christmas Eve.The way this movie chooses its unique path calls upon Joel Kinnaman as Godlock to be very expressive and i think he did a very good job with that.
Director John Woo brings his signature style to a lot of the action sequences. I really enjoyed a standout action sequence that I thought was coming to an end but picks up again. There are some great and bloody kills.

PROBLEMS: There's no real character development. At times it felt like I was watching a remake of the mediocre 2018 version of Death Wish. Even at a slim hour and forty minutes portions of the movie are so dwelling and drawn out I actually became bored. I wish it had maintained the hyped up pace of the movies opening.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 6½

May/December

Immoral Imitation

PRAISE: This movie is definitely loosely based on Mary Kay Letourneau who was a sex offender and teacher who pleaded guilty in 1997 to two counts of felony second-degree rape of a child. The child, Vili Fualaau, was 12 years oldNatalie Portman is very good as Elizabeth Berry
an actress shadowing and slowly but surely absorbing Gracie Atherton (Julianne Moore) who like
Letourneau was jailed but maintained a relationship with Fualaau and had children with him.Elizabeth attempts to get to the core of who Gracie is and was.Theres a coldness and predatory way about her which drew me into her character as she pushes things to the limit for
Her upcoming movie role as Gracie. Moore also does a great job as Gracie . She's used to all of the disgrace,disgusting threats she's received over the years but she's still very fragile at times.
As Joe Charles Melton does a terrific job as a man who had to grow up fast because of the choices he made as a child. He's a mix of maturity and immaturity and I thought this played out well in his various scenes with Moore who in a way still treats him like a child giving him little errands and slightly scolding him at times.He does chafe at having to be a pillar of strength for Gracie.Cory Michael Smith (completely didnt recognize him from his former role as The Riddler in Gotham) is great as Georgie, Gracies first born son he is the embodiment of how the family was effected by his mother's affair. Director Todd Haynes and writers Samy Burch and Alex Mechanik do a great job of showing the repercussions of what happens to the family members of two people who had such a highly Immoral affair.

PROBLEMS: There are a couple of things the movie touches on and I really wish they had been explored more because I think it would have brought out more of how unsure a character was.

Scale of 1 to 10 an 8½

Leave the World Behind

World Woes

PRAISE : The mindset of a character, the soundtrack and a stunning visual pulled me into this movie about A family vacation on Long Island being interrupted by two strangers bearing news of a blackout. As the threat grows, both families must decide how best to survive the potential crisis.
The talents of the cast including Julia Roberts as Amanda Sandford ; Mahershala Ali as G. H. Scott ; Ethan Hawke as Clay Sandford and Myha'la as Ruth Scott kept me anchored to this movie.
I like that the movie gave me another reason not to stay at an Airbnb.
There are good setups in the story weaved in with the mistrust and mysteriousness of the characters.Who was telling the truth? Who was holding back information? All done well !! I liked the bluntness of a couple of the characters. There's some dark humor and cold responses I really enjoyed.
There are a lot of truths in writer and director Sam Esmail's script about life when something like a pandemic or terrorist act effects the entire world. Despite prejudices some people can forget them and actually embrace the person or people they prejudge.
People do indulge and wrap themselves up in things that bring them pleasure whether it's watching a movie or TV show ,listening to music, cooking etcetera to escape the horrible news of the day or a great tragedy that has befallen them.

PROBLEMS: There were a couple of moments that were supposed to be extremely suspenseful but I found them to be very funny. I'm not sure what the extremely abrupt ending was trying to say. Hold on to the simple pleasures in life? In the end all we have is each other? Either way all I could do
was laugh

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7½

Fast Charlie

Fast Fun

PRAISE: I appreciate quick films like this that have a good level of entertainment value. The story about a mob fixer who teams up with a troublesome newbie that leads to trouble and possible romance.
Pierce Brosnan still has charisma and then some as Charlie there's even a nice James Bond nod in the movie. His chemistry with Morena Baccarin reminded me of the same chemistry Sean Connery had with Catherine Zeta Jones in the movie Entrapment.
There's a nice poignant feel to see James Caan in his last film role.
Sharon Gless has a fun cameo that has to be seen to be believed.
The movie slowly evolves into that one person against many,get revenge and avenge movies that I love.
There are some really good kills in this movie that are laced with dark humor.
The action sequences and one really unique one are well choreographed. The movie is about as easy going as the big easy it's based in which added to the nice flow of it.

PROBLEMS: A character has so much clout and attainable muscle on deck so a move he makes didn't make sense. There's a generic feel to some of the movie.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7½

Back