Someone posted a theory that the Sub-Zero we saw was actually Quan Chi,when he first made that Ice Dagger in his hand it started blistering and bleeding. Either that or he was still learning his power.
I don't want to spoil anything so I'll just say watch the animated movie Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge on HBO Max

I noticed that as well. I assumed it was because he was learning his powers. Just have to wait and see. I have a feeling they will say it was shang tsung who impersonated subzero. Which is not a bad story to follow.
In the actual lore:
-Quan Chi is the one who killed scorpion’s clan, not subzero.
-Scorpion is killed by subzero, because scorpion fought him thinking it was really him that killed his clan.
-Shinnok’s plan was to get Scorpion.
-Scorpion kills subzero, the original, and he turns into Noob Saibot.
.... but then again they gave subzero in the movie that scar on his face, when subzero in umk3 is not the original Bi Han but he does have the scar on his face...
... so a side note, this movie was also sort of an origin story for Noob Saibot, because that’s who subzero becomes.. also notice he took off his uniform and it became black/dark..foreshadowing

In the actual lore:
-Scorpion is killed by subzero, because scorpion fought him thinking it was really him that killed his clan.
.... but then again they gave subzero in the movie that scar on his face, when subzero in umk3 is not the original Bi Han but he does have the scar on his face...
... so a side note, this movie was also sort of an origin story for Noob Saibot, because that’s who subzero becomes.. also notice he took off his uniform and it became black/dark..foreshadowing
I know. I mentioned all that a page or two ago. I doubt they go the quan chi route though. They might just stick with shang tsung and shao khan.

In the actual lore:
Yeah all of this is from Mythologies on PS1 from back in the day...Sub killed Scorpion at the tower while retrieving Shinnok’s amulet on the first level of that game because Quan Chi hired both their clans as insurance just in case the other one failed, like the low down dirty scoundrel he is. Wrong place wrong time for Scorpion that day

This all gave Sub Zero the character depth, back when Ed Boon didn’t publicly announce Scorpion as his favorite. Ever since then, Scorpion has become more dimensional while Sub Zero is just an evil dork

They’ll probably bring back Bi Han as Noob and cast another sub zero as his younger bro. But like someone said, it would make sense as a tv show cause even the Lin Kuei with sub, smoke, sector and cyrax would need a couple of episodes to flesh out

the Quan Chi stuff they can save for a 3rd movie
Doubt that since this sub was over 400 years old

Quan chi can definitely be in the sequel there's plenty of lore and he's the OG of bringing souls back from the dead.
Quan Chi has to show up at some point. Dude is too dope a character in the game and too pivotal to certain events. I can see them doing Shao Kahn in part 2 where he tries to invade Outworld with Sindel which will require Kitana be there. Then in part 3 pull in Shinnok and Quan Chi revealing them as the players in the background pulling the strings all along.

Reactions: Ironman
Damn y'all got me thinking that an actual series would've been the way to go after all.

You not gonna be able to put that level of detail in the story writing in a film without cutting corners