Welcome To aBlackWeb

Monique Wants U To Boycott Netflix

I agree that they should’ve put up a counter arrangement. I agree that once they put up the counter if it wasn’t to Mo’s liking that they should do their own special. I agree 100% with that thinking.

This is where I disagree though. How is what she stated not real issues with black people or females in general? Equal pay and equal rights is an issue period worldwide. I mean we can all agree on that I’m sure, correct? How many females or females of color even have Netflix specials? How many people of color get chances to direct, or get their screen plays even read by execs? How many minority directors, writers or producers can you. And off the top of your head without google? Lmao.

It is an issue in Hollywood. Not one person has said that it isn't.

Women/black women don't have as many stand up specials as men because there aren't as many of them out there. The reason why Tiffany Haddish keeps being brought up is because she's the only one with any real relevance at the moment. Historically speaking, women comedians haven't fared as well as men.

All that other stuff is relevant as well, but not necessarily to this topic.

From my perspective, Monique is being disingenuous in her using gender/racial bias as a platform for which she has a problem with NF. Other people have sensed that as well and it is largely the reason she's endured such a strong backlash.

It's ignorant, selfish, and it does a disservice to the black women that have legitimate claims on gender and racial bias in Hollwood.

At this point, I realize people see it the other way, so I'm not tryna change opinions. It is what it is.

I like reading your post because you strike me as a reasonable well thought out individual that doesn’t get too emotional with your responses. Respect!

I also think her motives are self serving but what she is pointing out comes off as being a real issue. I think people who are not giving the issues the shine it deserves to roast her is doing the real issues a serious disservice.

It just disturbs me a bit to see so many people over looking the real issue to roast her. Especially her own people

It is an issue in Hollywood. Not one person has said that it isn't.

Women/black women don't have as many stand up specials as men because there aren't as many of them out there. The reason why Tiffany Haddish keeps being brought up is because she's the only one with any real relevance at the moment. Historically speaking, women comedians haven't fared as well as men.

All that other stuff is relevant as well, but not necessarily to this topic.

The reason why woman historically hasn’t faired as well especially minority women is because of the people who are running the networks and studios. There are plenty of females out there doing standup and writing. A lot more funny than the guys who are getting shots. Lmao.

I like reading your post because you strike me as a reasonable well thought out individual that doesn’t get too emotional with your responses. Respect!

I also think her motives are self serving but what she is pointing out comes off as being a real issue. I think people who are not giving the issues the shine it deserves to roast her is doing the real issues a serious disservice.

It just disturbs me a bit to see so many people over looking the real issue to roast her. Especially her own people

What she's saying is definitely a real issue, which is why Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer and Ava Duvernay deserve to have the brightest of spotlights on them when they bring it up. They're not coming off as self-serving when they speak about these issues . Imo, they're trying to raise awareness.

We need to pay more attention to the women raising these issues that are doing so without having such a self-serving agenda.

at the end of the day it's a BUSINESS....that chooses who they want to do BUSINESS with.....i don't see the gender bias if they just gave one woman over 13 million for a special and another woman 100 million to produce content for them(I don't think that was a PR move either).....i don't see racial inequality if they just gave two black men at least $20 million each for their specials....she moved the goal posts(in her favor) too much in this situation for all black people to just say...."yup she's right Fuck Netflix"...and we can't keep running to the help of all black people that cry wolf...especially when they're bullshittin about the wolf

but for shits and giggles....what is the perfect scenario that these pro Monique fans want to see in this situation?....are there a certain number of black comedians or black female comedians that need to be put on NF for them to see equality?....is there really a vast amount of white comedians on NF to begin with and is the gap between white and black male and female that big?.....does Netflix need to have a "female comedian" section and a "black female comedian" sub section in the search window?....like what is their end game?....did Monique even share what her end game was or how much she felt would've been a a good number for her to sign the contract?...like what's the next move once the fans actually "CANCEL" their subscriptions cuz Netflix is still gonna keep Netflixing

The reason why woman historically hasn’t faired as well especially minority women is because of the people who are running the networks and studios. There are plenty of females out there doing standup and writing. A lot more funny than the guys who are getting shots. Lmao.

Naw.

Men and women tend to view women as less funny.

All I know is her man said they didn’t counter offer.

So everything is out the window at that point.

Bringing up O, Perry and Packer for no reason is a very glaring issue that needs to be addressed.

On the real it seems Mo has definitely burned a lot of bridges and this also might be a reason why people are coming for her neck the way they are.

I can understand if the people ripping her were people she worked with in the past and had issues with but it’s a lot of folks who she hasn’t even worked with. Lol. Maybe it’s friends of people she crossed. I have no clue.

There are tons of females who do stand up and a nice portion of minority ladies who do comedic writing for shows like Issa Raye, Lena Waithe who also does dramatic shows like The Chi, Jessica James and phoebe Robinson from 2 dope queens are a couple of ladies I can think of off the top of my head who write for shows. Then there are a good amount of Jewish females who write

All I know is her man said they didn’t counter offer.

So everything is out the window at that point.

Bringing up O, Perry and Packer for no reason is a very glaring issue that needs to be addressed.

Yeah I don’t get why they didn’t make a counter offer also. In the Breakfast Club interview the husband paused when asked that and then try to say that Netflix said it was non negotiable.

On the real it seems Mo has definitely burned a lot of bridges and this also might be a reason why people are coming for her neck the way they are.

I can understand if the people ripping her were people she worked with in the past and had issues with but it’s a lot of folks who she hasn’t even worked with. Lol. Maybe it’s friends of people she crossed. I have no clue.

There are tons of females who do stand up and a nice portion of minority ladies who do comedic writing for shows like Issa Raye, Lena Waithe who also does dramatic shows like The Chi, Jessica James and phoebe Robinson from 2 dope queens are a couple of ladies I can think of off the top of my head who write for shows. Then there are a good amount of Jewish females who write

Bro, I know about Issa Rae. (I fuck wit Insecure tough, btw.) She had an awesome year last year. There's a lot of Jewish everything in entertainment, so I don't even need to touch that. And the other ones? Ok. That's all well and good, but I'm talking about stand-up comedy.

You said there's "plenty" in one post and "tons" in another. Shit. That means my ass quite possibly has been missing out on some funny shit. I'm not tryna parse your words, but you can't use certain adjectives with inconclusiveness.

but for shits and giggles....what is the perfect scenario that these pro Monique fans want to see in this situation?....are there a certain number of black comedians or black female comedians that need to be put on NF for them to see equality?....is there really a vast amount of white comedians on NF to begin with and is the gap between white and black male and female that big?.....does Netflix need to have a "female comedian" section and a "black female comedian" sub section in the search window?....like what is their end game?....did Monique even share what her end game was or how much she felt would've been a a good number for her to sign the contract?...like what's the next move once the fans actually "CANCEL" their subscriptions cuz Netflix is still gonna keep Netflixing

QTNA...

I mean look on Netflix now and see how many female comedians stand ups they have on there. Now tell me how many females of color have specials.

No one in this thread has ever denied racial/gender bias exists and plays a part in every industry.

But lets be real. The reason for women being underrepresented probably has a lot more to do with the market than racial/gender bias.

Are the lop sided salaries between wnba vs nba due to gender bias? Or does the market dictate that? Even knowing there is gender bias when it comes to female athletes, we know they dont get paid shit bc its not in demand.

But let that shit catch fire with the stadiums selling out, bet they will all get paid more.

Its the market.

Were ppl screaming gender/racial bias when Monique got kicked off bet?

She was much more relevant then with a hot show. What was it then?

Bro, I know about Issa Rae. (I fuck wit Insecure tough, btw.) She had an awesome year last year. There's a lot of Jewish everything in entertainment, so I don't even need to touch that. And the other ones? Ok. That's all well and good, but I'm talking about stand-up comedy.

You said there's "plenty" in one post and "tons" in another. Shit. That means my ass quite possibly has been missing out on some funny shit. I'm not tryna parse your words, but you can't use certain adjectives with inconclusiveness.

Man my memory is honestly trash. Lmao. But as far as stand ups there are tons of female minorities that are doing stand up on the lower level and worker their way up.

I’m old enough to remember Comic View and Def Comedy Jam and if it wasn't on there or if you didn’t live in a major city you barely heard of any comic that wasn’t in a movie. Those shows really helped a lot of black stand up comedians get shine. I don’t have cable but So I’m not sure if they’ve have stuff like that anymore.

The few times I’ve went to cities and watched standup shows live I’ve always seen females. Shit even on YouTube I will watch the laugh factory clips and see minorities females all the time. Shit I found out about Tiffany Haddish before she really blew up on YouTube. I like the Japanese chick Aiko Tanaka and Aida Rodriguez is funny to me of the top of my head.

No one in this thread has ever denied racial/gender bias exists and plays a part in every industry.

But lets be real. The reason for women being underrepresented probably has a lot more to do with the market than racial/gender bias.

Are the lop sided salaries between wnba vs nba due to gender bias? Or does the market dictate that? Even knowing there is gender bias when it comes to female athletes, we know they dont get paid shit bc its not in demand.

But let that shit catch fire with the stadiums selling out, bet they will all get paid more.

Its the market.

That’s some what true with the sports but also some what not. Female basketball players get paid 10 times better in Europe than America and it isn’t because the talent level is better. Maybe it’s marketed better in Europe as opposed to here, i truly don’t know.

Same with some Winter and summer Olympics sports. Females generate way more revenue with figure skating but the men get paid the same as their female counterparts

I feel where Mo is coming from 100%. I think 90% of the people posting here agree with her stance that black and brown people and especially females are being under paid and underrepresented in most things.

Where the disconnect comes in for some (including myself and it seems @Race Jones )is the surprising way her own people have attacked her over this issue and sided with the people who are doing this. I get that many might think she isn’t worth as much as Chris Rock or Dave but the way people are attacking her over this very real issue is kind of perplexing and sad. I mean you have black people actually defending this shit very hard. Actually stating facts and shit to defend a company that hasn’t even taken the time to defend itself. Lmao.

I mean look on Netflix now and see how many female comedians stand ups they have on there. Now tell me how many females of color have specials. Out of all the females out here putting in work that are funny there is barely any stand up specials of their work. Even SNL tried to pull that shit a few years ago until they got flack for lack of diversity.

Many of us agree that black females are marginalized in many areas. We just don't agree that's what's going on with Monique. I fully believe this is a case of what CtG said. Monique didn't get the numbers she wanted, so she tried to pull the race and gender card to force Netflix's hand. The problem is that it doesn't work, because everyone who knows anything about Netflix knows they use numbers to justify everything they do and Monique doesn't have the numbers. That's why she has to make up bullshit like her being the most decorated comedian alive or call out shit she did over a decade ago.

Man my memory is honestly trash. Lmao. But as far as stand ups there are tons of female minorities that are doing stand up on the lower level and worker their way up.

I’m old enough to remember Comic View and Def Comedy Jam and if it wasn't on there or if you didn’t live in a major city you barely heard of any comic that wasn’t in a movie. Those shows really helped a lot of black stand up comedians get shine. I don’t have cable but So I’m not sure if they’ve have stuff like that anymore.

The few times I’ve went to cities and watched standup shows live I’ve always seen females. Shit even on YouTube I will watch the laugh factory clips and see minorities females all the time. Shit I found out about Tiffany Haddish before she really blew up on YouTube. I like the Japanese chick Aiko Tanaka and Aida Rodriguez is funny to me of the top of my head.

But how do you know if those women have even gone to NF? I'm 34, so I remember Def Comedy Jam and Comic View very well. And there were a decent amount of black comediennes on at that time. Not every man or woman on those platforms was meant to be a star though.

And I know it may be sexist for me to say, but women comedians haven't had the type of impact on entertainment that men have.

How many people can recreate a stand-up bit from a woman comedian like they can Eddie's Raw? Pryor's Live at The Sunset Strip? Kevin's Seriously Funny? Cosby's Himself? A Chappelle Show skit? Which woman comedian has a bit with the profundity of Chris Rock's "white people walk/black people fly"?

That’s some what true with the sports but also some what not. Female basketball players get paid 10 times better in Europe than America and it isn’t because the talent level is better. Maybe it’s marketed better in Europe as opposed to here, i truly don’t know.

Same with some Winter and summer Olympics sports. Females generate way more revenue with figure skating but the men get paid the same as their female counterparts
Bruh theyll take anyone overseas and pay them better. Even mfs that didnt get into d league. So its no surprise they pay women more there too.

As for the figure skating just looked it up real quick females dominate the 15 highest paid figure skaters and an asian woman is at the top of that list.

Its the market.

9E0947A6-464F-4A1E-99C6-1C0DC7803C5D.gif

Address me when u got something of value to say fam
200.gif

Back