Welcome To aBlackWeb

Microphone Check 🎤 ✅️

Man, you gotta admit one thing though…

Black Americans being such a tiny minority, have inspired the world in a way no other group ever has.

We don’t get inspiration from black Canadians, they get their inspiration from us.

No disrespect, but I couldn’t tell you one thing about black Canadian culture, but I guarantee they know all about the way we walk, talk, dress, etc….

Everything Puerto Ricans (and everybody else) learned about being cool, they learned from us. Not the other way around.

We know almost nothing about these other groups, but they all get inspiration from a small little minority of black folks in the U.S.

I sometimes feel like we’ve earned an “African American Supremacist” complex.

Just adding to the bold.

Excluding the mix of black people in Atlantic Canada (they're a mix of FBA, French-Caribbean and Jamaican descendants, and many have been there for centuries), there isn't much as far as Black Canadian culture unless being influenced by multiple cultures counts as something. Most of us are 1st or 2nd generation with Caribbean immigrant parents/grandparents, typically Jamaican if not Haitian. If not Caribbean, then they're more than likely Nigerian.

I can't speak on Africans, but most black Caribbean-Canadians grew up being influenced by FBA and Caribbean culture. You even notice this in how we talk. We'll often mix different accents in conversation without even trying.

I don't think anyone from the diaspora doesn't recognize hip hop as Black American.

I thought hip hop was 100 percent Black American and assumed this was universally agreed upon until seeing online discourse claiming otherwise.

Last edited:
I thought hip hop was 100 percent Black American and assumed this was universally agreed upon until seeing online discourse claiming otherwise.

This^^^^

I used to think that , too.

But, now I’m seeing other groups (including Africans) trying to lay claim to hip-hop’s origin or claiming that they somehow have contributed to hip-hop.

This^^^^

I used to think that , too.

But, now I’m seeing other groups (including Africans) trying to lay claim to hip-hop’s origin or claiming that they somehow have contributed to hip-hop.
Caribbean people primarily Jamaicans have been involved since the start(I'm talking the beginnings in the bx not no cab calloway or James Brown ish) and it's still largely acknowledged by us and everyone else that it's Black American.

The ultimate grift is that the US state presents the commodity of "Hip Hop" domestically and internationally as a American capitalist success story as a means of vindicating and validating itself

Couldn't be further from the damn truth. The communities and peoples who developed it are poorer and in worst condition today than they were in the 70s and don't own or benefit from any of it

And aint nobody got greater capacity to develop and propagate mythology than white people and their institutional power. But you cant maintain algorithmic favor, let along a social life, addressing them in an unsanctioned manner...so here we are

Alongside that other point, its the White state that uses hip hop to advertise the US as some redeemed multicultural oasis. Obscures hip hops origins, development , and trajectory as propaganda to serve their needs... like it does and all other corners of history. Its commercial media that distances hip hop further and further away from its Black origins

Aint nobody got the capacity to proliferate or simply platform mythology like this state. This is just a case of a safe problem getting created for an audience and selling them the solution

Yea this is not a gotcha Dumbo. Reaching for anything

ASAP Rocky is the suspect. His behavior has been on trial. You can't point a bigger finger at someone who criticized him for said behavior. He's the one who said fuck BLM and he's the one who looks like a bitch on a magazine cover. Tariq ain't the problem for pointing that out. If ASAPs ways have corrected, that doesnt make Tariq a hypocrite for fucking with him now. It makes him a brother 🤷🏾‍♂️

This tweet is so good

The same Latinos Fat Joe is bigging up are debunking him

This is a classic case of non black entitlement

This is the result of the cookout invites y'all love to distribute to the world

You make someone a guest and then they want to claim ownership

They contribute things much later on, then they say the creation of it was 50/50

This is why black people are delineating and this is why black people have to gatekeep everything we create

Reactions: GNS
Back