Welcome To aBlackWeb

Mase Calls Out Puff For Bad Business & Not Letting Him Buy His Publishing Back

I get it bro people should be smarter. But damn not to sound like moral Orel by why niggas can’t do right by their mans because they supposed too. Shouldn’t be no reason these folks broke but did all the work.
So let me get this post right.

You saying puff should do right by made cuz he black, they so called cool or what?
Can you clarify?

You serious? Do you have a job where you make money? If so you are better off than being jobless so I guess if you find out that your company has been stealing thousands from you over the years whats the gripe? Like people are supposed to be ok with getting ripped off massively and enjoy the crumbs their millionaire bosses throw at them
Exactly the reason I scream own a business from the top of my lungs.

Once I saw a contract my company had compared to what I was making.....bruh

Hire a lawyer with what money btw?

You know what this is like?

I did my taxes the other day and HR block was like you dont have to pay us anything now, we can take it out your return. Im like word? Cool. Then I see they charging me an extra $50 to take the shit from my return.

I was like wtf? Why would I do that? Gave them my card to put they little charge on it and saved me a $50.

Then i started thinking how disgusting that shit is cause there are tons of people that NEED their tax returns and dont have the $60 or whatever HR Block is charging and have no choice but to give them $50 for no reason.

And it was HR block in my case but all these apps and companies do this this.

They literally preying on poor people who they know cant pay the fees and taking their $50.

Telling a poor 19 year old who comes from generations of poverty to get a lawyer is the same shit. Especially from a place like Harlem. Like yo get a lawyer with whose money?

Its why its called predatory tacticts and more and more light is being shed on it. Not just in music contracts but all over.
I been wanting to do a predatory business thread.

Fucking check cashing places clean up

Ain’t Puff a billionaire? How much money he needs? Sell the nigga his shit back
Damn it elzo....Let him answer...I'm curious on his pov

I totally get your point. At a point you have enough but then your circle starts to change and then you start to try to keep up. And morals go out the window because I want that next mil to keep up with them niggas

The problem with all those names is that they signed those contracts when they were still teenagers and coming from the hood if a nigga dangles a few zeroes in front of you that's the most money you ever seen in your lifetime and so most take it.

Ma$e, Turk from Cash Money, Luniz, Kelis, BTNH back then didnt know any better cuz they were teenagers. It's not like now where at this point in the game post the 2000s there's no excuse.
What if they was doing shows and then got the contract....Is it

Its all well and good saying artists should have 'gotten a lawyer' but when there is only ONE label or label with connections offering you a 'take it or leave it' deal then its either the artists take the deal and the money, the opportunities and everything that comes with it or they go back to the block and the grind of trying to find another label... So alot of artists had no choice but sign those fckd up contracts...

Also back in the 80s and the 90s there was no social media and real independent opportunities like there is today, yeah majors had big budgets but getting a contract was like hitting the lotto...

facts like not everybody read the source and knew the record companies were shady niggas ain’t even talk about indecent artists until the 2000s.

Them niggas listened to rap songs, read Word Up! and shit like that.

When Cube left NWA every nigga in my school knew why; 'cause Eazy and Jerry was trying to fuck him out his money. Mind you, the news took about a month or so to reach us, but I remember coming back to school from Christmas break and it was all anybody was talking about.

That was 1990... In Detroit. Not LA, not NYC, De-fuckin'-troit.

We didn't have some sort of special "nigganet" back then either; the shit was on MTV and BET.
Again, KRS-ONE was vocal about how B-Boy Records gave them a fucked up contract, which they KNEW was fucked up from jump, but they signed it anyway and got fucked out of their royalties.
The majority of the first verse on 3rd Bass' biggest song in 1990, "The Gas Face", was dedicated to how record labels fuck you over.

1-9-9-0. We knew then. No internet, no social media, no none of that. There's no excuse you can give me that will justify anybody getting into the industry without having someone go over the paperwork.

How about knowing your value?

I think more people know their value than y'all giving credit to.

Crazy that Puff bought all or some of Big's Mase and the Lox publishing. Yo thats the stuff you want your family to hold on to for generations and Puff knew that. I forgot who it was maybe the Lox was saying something like we're broke and just signing and this dude offers like 200k for 50% of our publishing so we took it. Understandable, but yo heads need to learn the business and think long term.

You wanna know how important publishing is? SugarHill records hasn’t been a respectable label since the early 90s....but to this day that entire family lives like king from publishing and licensing alone and they are gonna keep living right for generations to come....cuz those songs are part of American culture

We talking niggas from the hood who ain’t never seen shit....sometimes that upfront money is the difference between life and death....niggas would sign anything
I get that. That's why i also said people around them needed to be in there corner.

The hood was once a good place. Where people looked out for each other and pushed each other to be great.

But a few things that stood out.....
Hope was given and kids allowed to dream.
Both gave kids the ability to have self worth.

I say that to say.....It's not just them that did wrong.

People failed them ...In turn they failed themselves.

A predator is a predator. They prey.
Do people look out for they people so they won't fall prey?

Do I need to go full dos?
I'm a bit busy but I got wine and a cheese plate I need to eat...So I can make time.

Back