Welcome To aBlackWeb

Mase Calls Out Puff For Bad Business & Not Letting Him Buy His Publishing Back

The problem with all those names is that they signed those contracts when they were still teenagers and coming from the hood if a nigga dangles a few zeroes in front of you that's the most money you ever seen in your lifetime and so most take it.

Ma$e, Turk from Cash Money, Luniz, Kelis, BTNH back then didnt know any better cuz they were teenagers. It's not like now where at this point in the game post the 2000s there's no excuse.

There was no excuse for any of them niggas. Like I said before, it ain't exactly like other rappers wasn't trying to warn everybody about how the industry was, 'cause they were. You had to be willfully ignorant of how shit went down in the industry in order to sign them fucked up ass deals. Shit, Ice Cube's bullshit with NWA should have been enough by itself, but then Dre left Ruthless for the exact same reason? And Eazy made fun of the fact that every record Dre sold, he got money 'cause he was still under contract to Ruthless. Shit was public as fuck. And they wasn't the only cats either:

"We had a fucked up contract but we signed it/and then we dropped the album Criminal Minded..." - KRS ONE

KRS was always vocal about the fucked up deal he got from B-Boy Records early on and how he had to sue them to get out of the contract before signing with Jive/RCA for "By Any Means Necessary" (in fact, it was Ice T that gave him the advice necessary to get out of that contract).

There's been plenty of examples of how these labels jerk niggas around in song, in print, and in televised interviews. If niggas just wanna sign without having someone go over it, so be it; that's on them.

Hire a lawyer with what money btw?

You know what this is like?

I did my taxes the other day and HR block was like you dont have to pay us anything now, we can take it out your return. Im like word? Cool. Then I see they charging me an extra $50 to take the shit from my return.

I was like wtf? Why would I do that? Gave them my card to put they little charge on it and saved me a $50.

Then i started thinking how disgusting that shit is cause there are tons of people that NEED their tax returns and dont have the $60 or whatever HR Block is charging and have no choice but to give them $50 for no reason.

And it was HR block in my case but all these apps and companies do this this.

They literally preying on poor people who they know cant pay the fees and taking their $50.

Telling a poor 19 year old who comes from generations of poverty to get a lawyer is the same shit. Especially from a place like Harlem. Like yo get a lawyer with whose money?

Its why its called predatory tacticts and more and more light is being shed on it. Not just in music contracts but all over.

But in your analogy you see how you avoided the situation by actually reading the agreement?

What you thought H&R block was free like a charity? Of course not.

And once again... if Mase has 2 million to spend on his publishing how is he not a zillion times better off than when he signed the contract.

And let's not even get into who paid his advance? Who booked and organized the tours, the press, the protection, the payola and so forth? All for somebody that may or may not have even charted. Puffy gambled on Mase and won and as a result Mase won too.

Niggas want backsies taxies and refunds on a record contract? Nah - just make a disgruntled song about it and go on about your life.

But in your analogy you see how you avoided the situation by actually reading the agreement?

What you thought H&R block was free like a charity? Of course not.

And once again... if Mase has 2 million to spend on his publishing how is he not a zillion times better off than when he signed the contract.

And let's not even get into who paid his advance? Who booked and organized the tours, the press, the protection, the payola and so forth? All for somebody that may or may not have even charted. Puffy gambled on Mase and won and as a result Mase won too.

Niggas want backsies taxies and refunds on a record contract? Nah - just make a disgruntled song about it and go on about your life.

Dont be stupid fam.

In my analogy im 30 and have a little bit of change, not 19 and in poverty.

That shit HR Block doing aint targetted at me. Its targetted at the people who dont have enough money to pay their fees.

The extra $50 isnt HR block charging you for their fees, its them charging you just to be able to take their fees out your refund. The only people that will ever sign up for that is people who dont have the money to pay their fees. No regular person will throw that $50 away for literally nothing. HR block, Turbo Tax and all them can take their fees out your refund without charging you an extra $50. The only people that will pay that extra $50 is poor people without a choice. Thats why its predatory.

I cant believe i gotta really explain this simple shit.

Hire a lawyer with what money btw?

You know what this is like?

I did my taxes the other day and HR block was like you dont have to pay us anything now, we can take it out your return. Im like word? Cool. Then I see they charging me an extra $50 to take the shit from my return.

I was like wtf? Why would I do that? Gave them my card to put they little charge on it and saved me a $50.

Then i started thinking how disgusting that shit is cause there are tons of people that NEED their tax returns and dont have the $60 or whatever HR Block is charging and have no choice but to give them $50 for no reason.

And it was HR block in my case but all these apps and companies do this this.

They literally preying on poor people who they know cant pay the fees and taking their $50.

Telling a poor 19 year old who comes from generations of poverty to get a lawyer is the same shit. Especially from a place like Harlem. Like yo get a lawyer with whose money?

Its why its called predatory tacticts and more and more light is being shed on it. Not just in music contracts but all over.

If:

Niggas got money for J's
Niggas got money for weed
Niggas got money for Henney
Niggas got money for the club
Niggas got money for fits

Then niggas got money for an entertainment lawyer to look over a contract. They usually do it for a flat rate so there's no excuse.

Dont be stupid fam.

In my analogy im 30 and have a little bit of change, not 19 and in poverty.

That shit HR Block doing aint targetted at me. Its targetted at the people who dont have enough money to pay their fees.

The extra $50 isnt HR block charging you for their fees, its them charging you just to be able to take their fees out your refund. The only people that will ever sign up for that is people who dont have the money to pay their fees. No regular person will throw that $50 away for literally nothing. HR block, Turbo Tax and all them can take their fees out your refund without charging you an extra $50. The only people that will pay that extra $50 is poor people without a choice. Thats why its predatory.

I cant believe i gotta really explain this simple shit.

Ok let's put it this way... let's say Mase can time travel and go back to that moment when he signed that contract... does he still do it or does he not? And if he doesn't... would we have ever heard of him? Does he have 2 million? What exactly is his issue?

I understand that there's bullshit in contracts but "I was too stupid to read what I was signing" doesn't apply to anything else in the universe so why the hell is it supposed to apply to Puffy?

Let's just say you signed that shit with turbotax and then when it was time to pay your 50 bucks you were like... "wait... hold up". Here's what you get...

:lol9:

and they didn't make you rich.

I cannot for the life of me see how Mase is a victim here.

This is so off base

nah, it was on base.

literally everyone after me keeps saying “dangle some money in front of someone that doesn’t have shit and watch what happens”.

Remember the episode of making the band where they were about to sign their contracts but Sarah Stokes wanted to make sure her shit was looked over first?

The whole band was pissed because if she didn’t sign, none of them would get any money.

and what she end up doing? Signing and losing big.

And so did everybody else in that group. All Sarah wanted to do was make sure shit was straight!

Kanye west contract got him working to
toinfinityandbeyond.gif

nah, it was on base.

literally everyone after me keeps saying “dangle some money in front of someone that doesn’t have shit and watch what happens”.

Remember the episode of making the band where they were about to sign their contracts but Sarah Stokes wanted to make sure her shit was looked over first?

The whole band was pissed because if she didn’t sign, none of them would get any money.

and what she end up doing? Signing and losing big.

And so did everybody else in that group. All Sarah wanted to do was make sure shit was straight!

:js4:

Yall forgetting this story from this corny ass nigga, about Puff. Nigga lowkey tried to get his "friend" to damn near sign away most his money. Real niggas dont try and snake their homies. Worst part is this idiot still thinks hes his friend.

Na bro, just get a lawyer...

So niggas gonna act like they didn’t get Mase s point?

What's Mase's point though? He should be the one guy in the world that a legally binding contract shouldn't apply to?

He has 2 million for some publishing but can't hire a lawyer if he really has a case?

Someone please tell me how Mase was wronged by Puffy.

It's easy for us to say that now because of how we can access information today, so when news hit we know what's up or we can look back with a bit of revisionist history. However, back then artists weren't putting shit like that in newspapers or magazines and labels definitely weren't gonna let it get published. It took Master P to blow up to show us the business or Hip-Hop.

Not everyone back then knew how the rap game worked the way we do now. We're taking our understanding today and thinking about the past.

KRS, Cube, Dre, and 'nem had their shit in print. Whether it was The Source, Rap Pages, or whatever, they made it know they had fucked up contracts and what they had to do to get out of them. Cube and Dre did interviews talking about it back then. Unless you were for real living in a cave, you had heard about it at least once even before 1990.

KRS, Cube, Dre, and 'nem had their shit in print. Whether it was The Source, Rap Pages, or whatever, they made it know they had fucked up contracts and what they had to do to get out of them. Cube and Dre did interviews talking about it back then. Unless you were for real living in a cave, you had heard about it at least once even before 1990.

I could probably make a whole mixtape of songs about getting jerked by a record label with only songs before Mase signed to Bad Boy. Like going back to the 60's.

And to think he would've fucked B.I.G. if he was still alive..on some Birdman & Lil Wayne shit lol. You love em but won't let em eat

Back