Welcome To aBlackWeb

Living with Parents.

I would actually prefer my kids to stay around until they get their first job out of college, or first career job if they didnt go to college. So thats atleast 22 23 years old.

Whats the point of having my kid work a minimum wage job at 18 just to pay rent for a trash apartment?

That mfer still gonna be working that minimum wage job at 18, but can just live at the crib

Black folks kicking their kids out young is a hangover from slavery, because when children came of age they were shipped off to another plantation.

Other cultures, let their kids stay until they finish school and save up enough to buy a house. Black people are getting there but it'll take time. My kids can stay as long as they want until they're financially ready to.
Came in to say this.

As long as the kids are working/studying they can stay and save up.

At 20 if you don't have a plan you got to go.

You're either going to college, work, or military.

Almost.

It should be college, join a union, or join the military.

I didn't go to college directly from high school and I ended up working at a grocery store for a few years before I moved out (and then moved back after a few years).

I was making about $6 per hour (in the early 90s) which wasn't a lot, but when I worked overtime sometimes my paychecks were about $350-$400 per week, which I though was good @ 19 years old.

But if I had joined a union I would have been making $20 per hour.

That's what White people do. They join a union. Those are the guys you see on he side of the highway with hard hats and orange vests. They don't really do anything because most of the work is done by machines, but they get paid to show up at 6:30 in the morning and wear an orange vest and a hard hat. By the time they turn 30 they're making $30 per hour and have enough money saved up to get married and buy a house.

In the hood you got 19 year olds thinking they can get rich by selling weed.

Black folks kicking their kids out young is a hangover from slavery, because when children came of age they were shipped off to another plantation.

Other cultures, let their kids stay until they finish school and save up enough to buy a house. Black people are getting there but it'll take time. My kids can stay as long as they want until they're financially ready to.
IDK about this, my theory is its from white lies about success. I mean look at white people and their kids now. Most of them act like their kid went out on their own and did everything and the kids act like that too. But when you really look into it, they left at 18 in the car their parents bought/pay for. Went to college that their parents or grandparents pay for, get a house or apartment their parents pay for and usually get a good paying job that their parents lined up for them & turn around telling people how they did it all on their own through hard work.

AA's really believed their lies, so now they think their 18 year olds are grown, should have it all figured out and be out on their own like they were or how they see other "successful" kids doing it. No other culture in the world has this mindset. They all stick together & move as a unit to ensure they're all secure and not struggling.

I've seen people try an justify it by saying they need to know the struggle and it makes them stronger years down the line, blah blah blah. Well congrats, your kid survived the struggled, built a bunch of character, and those "weaker" kids that had a bunch of family support are way further ahead in life/financially and are your kids bosses.

I mean, if we being real, you dont really start figuring life out till your mid 20's. So if you kid has no idea what to do in their late teens/ early 20's, my question is what have you been doing and what are you going to do to help? If you're solution is to throw them out, i see why they're lost.

Grandfather bought this house in 1965

It went to his kids in his death. They wanted to sell it, my mom bought it from them in the mid 90's

I'm her only child and my name been on it for the past 10 years or so as well

So I'm the 3rd generation in this house. Hopefully I can pass it on in some capacity in the next 30 years to my kids... We'll see

IDK about this, my theory is its from white lies about success. I mean look at white people and their kids now. Most of them act like their kid went out on their own and did everything and the kids act like that too. But when you really look into it, they left at 18 in the car their parents bought/pay for. Went to college that their parents or grandparents pay for, get a house or apartment their parents pay for and usually get a good paying job that their parents lined up for them & turn around telling people how they did it all on their own through hard work.

AA's really believed their lies, so now they think their 18 year olds are grown, should have it all figured out and be out on their own like they were or how they see other "successful" kids doing it. No other culture in the world has this mindset. They all stick together & move as a unit to ensure they're all secure and not struggling.

I've seen people try an justify it by saying they need to know the struggle and it makes them stronger years down the line, blah blah blah. Well congrats, your kid survived the struggled, built a bunch of character, and those "weaker" kids that had a bunch of family support are way further ahead in life/financially and are your kids bosses.

I mean, if we being real, you dont really start figuring life out till your mid 20's. So if you kid has no idea what to do in their late teens/ early 20's, my question is what have you been doing and what are you going to do to help? If you're solution is to throw them out, i see why they're lost.

LOL @, "you dont really start figuring life out till your mid 20's"

I'm 46 and I'm still trying to figure it out.

I remember when I was in my teens and 20s and my parents were in their 50s. I thought they were old.

Now I'm in my 40s and my parents are in their 70s. They finally have life figured out but they can't get around like they used to.

You're 20s are the perfect time to chase your dreams and make mistakes.

By the time you're in your 30s you stop chasing dreams and get serious.

Your 40s is your second childhood.

I haven't turned 50 yet, but if you look around the world is run by people in their 50s and 60s. CEOs, Governers, Senators, Judges, Police Chiefs, those guys are all in their 50s and 60s.

At 20 if you don't have a plan you got to go.

You're either going to college, work, or military.

Getting put out at 20 with no plan is a recipe for disaster.

I get what you saying tho. It depends on my kid, for the most part I wouldn’t put them out if I felt like they weren’t set up to succeed. If they was being overly disrespectful I’d want em out.

Last edited:
LOL @, "you dont really start figuring life out till your mid 20's"

I'm 46 and I'm still trying to figure it out.

I remember when I was in my teens and 20s and my parents were in their 50s. I thought they were old.

Now I'm in my 40s and my parents are in their 70s. They finally have life figured out but they can't get around like they used to.

You're 20s are the perfect time to chase your dreams and make mistakes.

By the time you're in your 30s you stop chasing dreams and get serious.

Your 40s is your second childhood.

I haven't turned 50 yet, but if you look around the world is run by people in their 50s and 60s. CEOs, Governers, Senators, Judges, Police Chiefs, those guys are all in their 50s and 60s.
I should of been a lil more clear. But I ment you start figuring stuff out, not that you have it figured out. By mid 20's most people start to peep the fuckery and start questioning why they hang with certain people.
But I dont think at any age you should stop chasing your dreams. Might have to change how you approach it depending on the situation tho.

I turned 23 just 5 days after I got married and moved into my wife and I first rental home. Prior to that, I stayed with either my dad or my maternal grandmother (who actually raised me from birth) whenever I was home from college.

I met my wife in the summer of 2002 while home from school. We got married in March of 2003. I stayed home and finished school up there. In the 17 years since then we moved from Wichita, KS to the Atlanta metro, had two daughters, bought our first home, fought cancer with the youngest one and buried her here in Georgia.

I've always said that my daughters will always have a place to live. I'm in no hurry for the one that I have remaining to leave. Ideally, my home will be her primary residence until she gets married or until she feels secure enough to get her own place.

How many people have houses that have been in the family for generations though?

How many have a house they acquired thru inheritance?

Do your parents own their home? What are the plans when they die? Does it stay in the family? It's it sold? Rented out?

Is there a difference between sons and daughters in how long each can stay?
I think parents push the sons out so they can toughen em up, and learn how to survive and grind. They say best life lessons come from your own experience.

Girls on the other hand are coddled and parents want them to stay till they grey and old. I've been guilty of saying it I'll say in a heart beat baby girl can stay here with me forever. But nah I'll went her to get out and experience life away from me and her mom. Same goes for my son

How many people have houses that have been in the family for generations though?

How many have a house they acquired thru inheritance?

Do your parents own their home? What are the plans when they die? Does it stay in the family? It's it sold? Rented out?
True shit

Back