Welcome To aBlackWeb

Let's talk about how "Eastcoast Bias" was never real

Back in the day I would always hear there's a Eastcoast Bias but in reality there never really was a bias coming out of the Eastcoast and the real bias was coming from The South, West and Midwest areas.

Let me explain...........without question the biggest selling albums ever in hiphop came from the South, Midwest and Westcoast. Outkast diamond, Bone Thugs, diamond, Pac diamond, Nelly diamond, Vanilla Ice diamond, Hammer Diamond, Eminem diamond. Most platinum albums come from those same regions as well.

Best duo Outkast

Best region to put out artist South

Best movies Westcoast

Best hustlers South

Considered the GOAT Pac (repped westcoast)

Richest rapper Kanye/ Dre

Best producer Dre

The NY/Eastcoast started hiphop true and everyone was used to the Eastcoast flow for years so everyone (not eastcoast) would flock to NY to perform but at the time the mainstream rappers pushed out to the masses came from NY but that fizzed out in the early 90's. Hiphop started in the 70's so Eastcoast reign was short to say the least.

If anything it's been a bias against NY(eastcoast) for the last 30+ yrs and this is coming from a nigga from the South

You're older than me and remember those times more, but I'm pretty sure new Yorkers used to boo west and south rappers at award shows.

The major record labels were in New york a lot of artist had to go to there in order to shop deals.

A part of the reason why a lot of other regions created independent record labels is because the labels wouldn't sign them.

You're older than me and remember those times more, but I'm pretty sure new Yorkers used to boo west and south rappers at award shows.

The major record labels were in New york a lot of artist had to go to there in order to shop deals.

A part of the reason why a lot of other regions created independent record labels is because the labels wouldn't sign them.

You are correct.

Also, the East Coast bias didn't mean that the general rap community didn't like anything other than East Coast rap. It meant that East Coast rappers were given preference. Just go listen to some of the stories about what artists outside of NYC and the surrounding areas had to do just to get consistent national airplay. Think about the Wu-tang series. They had to grind to catch a radio break, but once their songs hit the airwaves in NYC, then they spread everywhere else like wildfire. You might have a group like Outkast that gets big in ATL, so they get over that hill of becoming successful at home. Then they have to try and get on the airwaves in a place like NYC to spread everywhere else. That's much harder when those NYC stations basically dismiss anyone not from NYC.

Back in the day I would always hear there's a Eastcoast Bias but in reality there never really was a bias coming out of the Eastcoast and the real bias was coming from The South, West and Midwest areas.

Let me explain...........without question the biggest selling albums ever in hiphop came from the South, Midwest and Westcoast. Outkast diamond, Bone Thugs, diamond, Pac diamond, Nelly diamond, Vanilla Ice diamond, Hammer Diamond, Eminem diamond. Most platinum albums come from those same regions as well.

Best duo Outkast

Best region to put out artist South

Best movies Westcoast

Best hustlers South

Considered the GOAT Pac (repped westcoast)

Richest rapper Kanye/ Dre

Best producer Dre

The NY/Eastcoast started hiphop true and everyone was used to the Eastcoast flow for years so everyone (not eastcoast) would flock to NY to perform but at the time the mainstream rappers pushed out to the masses came from NY but that fizzed out in the early 90's. Hiphop started in the 70's so Eastcoast reign was short to say the least.

If anything it's been a bias against NY(eastcoast) for the last 30+ yrs and this is coming from a nigga from the South

Man, "Shut yo goofy ass up"

-Cain-

I was waiting on the award show talk mainly the Source Awards. The show was done in NY, there was tension in the crowd because of brewing beefs. Sound checks was messed up by Tribe Called Quest and or Pac can't remember.

BUT in the mainstream award shows eastcoast didn't win shit. Hammer, Vanilla Ice and others won those the "real hiphop" artist ddn't even get a mention

that wasn't "eastcoast bias" that was pop rap vs "real" rap

so why'd the boo OutKast?

giphy.gif

I believe the "east coast bias" derived from within the industry itself(radio/video shows and record exes). But the fans just want good music and the industry had to acknowledge that

Nah there was definitely bias,Westside Connection had the number 1 single in the country and it had 0 radio spins in NY....0,how do you not play a record even once ?
again pop vs real hip hop

That same group outsold everyone that came out at the time also that album didn't get any play in NC none

There was never an east coast bias….I’m trying to understand what you’re saying

NYC was always the Mecca of rap music….period

I’m from Brooklyn, if your song was poppin in the 5 boroughs, you were pretty much SUCCESSFUL

The south was such a dominant force because they all “came together” and kicked down the doors. Their strength was in how much they supported each other….but even then, they needed NYC radio to pretty much solidify their success…maybe they needed LA too….but definitely NY

The biggest problem with NYC rappers is that we beef too much with everybody. We still carry that East vs Everybody energy when that shit is long dead

Especially in the 00’s when nights like G-Unit, Dipset and Murder INC all was beefing with niggas from their own city…that was our biggest fall

There was never an east coast bias….I’m trying to understand what you’re saying

NYC was always the Mecca of rap music….period

I’m from Brooklyn, if your song was poppin in the 5 boroughs, you were pretty much SUCCESSFUL

The south was such a dominant force because they all “came together” and kicked down the doors. Their strength was in how much they supported each other….but even then, they needed NYC radio to pretty much solidify their success…maybe they needed LA too….but definitely NY

The biggest problem with NYC rappers is that we beef too much with everybody. We still carry that East vs Everybody energy when that shit is long dead

Especially in the 00’s when nights like G-Unit, Dipset and Murder INC all was beefing with niggas from their own city…that was our biggest fall
You're correct but let others tell the story that NY was bias to everyone else

Back