Welcome To aBlackWeb

Legend or Vet: Juvenile

Legend or Vet?

• Total voters
I said a couple years ago there should be three tiers

Icon
Legend
Vet

Some of these legends in this series are icons. You can't tell the story is hip hop without these dudes

But the legends are just as important but for various reasons

The vets are the guys who at one one were the man/female in the culture but for whatever reason, it was a short lived run

A good bit of rappers will fit in one of these three categories and I think the consensus will be in agreement for the most part.

Everyone else gets a participation trophy

I think the word you're looking for is Pioneer, not Icon. An Icon is somebody who can't walk anywhere on the globe without being recognized. Nobody would know who df E-40 and Too Short was in the middle of Africa, niggas barely know who they are outside of The Bay. Niggas like Snoop and Pac are icons.

I think the word you're looking for is Pioneer, not Icon. An Icon is somebody who can't walk anywhere on the globe without being recognized. Nobody would know who df E-40 and Too Short was in the middle of Africa, niggas barely know who they are outside of The Bay. Niggas like Snoop and Pac are icons.
I wasn't trying to put no damn E-40 as an icon man lol

I took a very quick glance at the list and thought I saw Nas, Jay, etc in there. those dudes are not legends, they are icons. I agree with you about Pac and Snoop so I guess we're saying the same thing.

Pioneers to me are very few. I consider a pioneer to be someone who birthed something that still has some relevance to today or the impact was so strong for a period of time you can't deny it

I wasn't trying to put no damn E-40 as an icon man lol

I took a very quick glance at the list and thought I saw Nas, Jay, etc in there. those dudes are not legends, they are icons. I agree with you about Pac and Snoop so I guess we're saying the same thing.

Pioneers to me are very few. I consider a pioneer to be someone who birthed something that still has some relevance to today or the impact was so strong for a period of time you can't deny it

Where would you put someone like Rakim?

IMO he's absolutely an Icon and based on your Pioneer definition he absolutely falls in that category as well.

Where would you put someone like Rakim?

IMO he's absolutely an Icon and based on your Pioneer definition he absolutely falls in that category as well.
great question!!!

I think he's definitely an icon for sure

in my ranking system, I put that over pioneer

it's like 1 and 1a

For the record.

Many rate Lil Wayne in the upper echelon of rappers of all time. Many myself included feel Carter 1 is his best album while even more think Carter 2 is his best album.

I said that to say that 400 Degreez is still the BEST album ever from cash money records

This is correct

I try to tell people that about P. Don't get the goofy Make Em Say Ugh shit fucked up. Mater P will slap the shit out
For the record.

Many rate Lil Wayne in the upper echelon of rappers of all time. Many myself included feel Carter 1 is his best album while even more think Carter 2 is his best album.

I said that to say that 400 Degreez is still the BEST album ever from cash money records

This is false. Most important Cash Money release? Definitely. BEST? Hardly. To each his own though.

I try to tell people that about P. Don't get the goofy Make Em Say Ugh shit fucked up. Mater P will slap the shit out

This is false. Most important Cash Money release? Definitely. BEST? Hardly. To each his own though.

No need to quote me on some shit that isn't up for debate.

This is who we've voted on so far...... Jesus Christ ABW hosts some of the worst hiphop opinion on earth.

Legend

50 Cent
Ice T ........................................... smh
Too Short........................................................ smh
Lauryn Hill
DMX
Prodigy
E-40....................................
Lil Wayne
Gucci Mane....
MC Hammer , smh/lol
Lil Jon...
Q-Tip
Andre 3000
Big Pun
Black Thought.....
Uncle Luke..............
Slick Rick
Common
Queen Latifah
Redman
T.I

Vet

Jeezy
Juvenile
Mos Def
Beans
Ludacris
Cam'ron
Devin The Dude
Lupe
Project Pat
Game
Ja Rule
Twista
Fab
Jadakiss
Rick Ross

Who out here voting Lil Jon, Gucci and Hammer as legends?!? Black Thought & Uncle Luke you can make good cases for and against. Everyone else good.

Until niggas realize pioneer =/= legend , shit'll be the same.

@Goldie That's why I made that ABW Semantics thread.

We need clear definitions of Pioneer, Legend, Veteran and a person that was hot for one or two albums (or 5 years) and fell off.

Pioneer - Grandmaster Flash & The Furious 5 - First Hip Hop group as we know it

Legend - DMX - Two Platinum albums in the same year

Veteran - Jadakiss 20+ years in the game

??? - Canibus - dropped some dope freestyles and two underwhelming albums before he went indie.

What's the word to describe Canibus?

@Goldie That's why I made that ABW Semantics thread.

We need clear definitions of Pioneer, Legend, Veteran and a person that was hot for one or two albums (or 5 years) and fell off.

Pioneer - Grandmaster Flash & The Furious 5 - First Hip Hop group as we know it

Legend - DMX - Two Platinum albums in the same year

Veteran - Jadakiss 20+ years in the game

??? - Canibus - dropped some dope freestyles and two underwhelming albums before he went indie.

What's the word to describe Canibus?

canibus?

spark when started

canibus?

spark when started

Agreed, but if you were around circa 97/98 Canibus was destroying mixtapes. He was bodying posse jams and not only were people calling him the next Rakim, but people thought he could take out LL.

But within two or three years he faded into oblivion.

What's the word for that?

Agreed, but if you were around circa 97/98 Canibus was destroying mixtapes. He was bodying posse jams and not only were people calling him the next Rakim, but people thought he could take out LL.

But within two or three years he faded into oblivion.

What's the word for that?
i mean, without turning this into a canibus thread, does any of that warrant any consideration into whether his impact in hip hop cant be forgotten?

i dont think so

whats unfortunate for a lot and i do mean a lot of rappers is that most of them got caught up in label politics

Joe Budden is one of my favorite emcees of all time, but i dont think even he would be in any of these categories, but thats ok too

idk man..maybe some 6th man type of recognition or something

i mean, without turning this into a canibus thread, does any of that warrant any consideration into whether his impact in hip hop cant be forgotten?

i dont think so

whats unfortunate for a lot and i do mean a lot of rappers is that most of them got caught up in label politics

Joe Budden is one of my favorite emcees of all time, but i dont think even he would be in any of these categories, but thats ok too

idk man..maybe some 6th man type of recognition or something

Well Joe Budden created a lane for himself beyond record labels, which I guess makes him a Pioneer. I can't think of anybody else offhand that created a lane for himself the way Joe Budden did.

How about Naughty By Nature? They were hot in the early to mid 90s, but they didn't even last 10 years. Or if they did, they didn't get as much shine as when they came out with O.P.P.

Master P is a pioneer because of what he did with No Limit, but what about Silk The Shocker? Silk had a big hit with It Ain't My Fault and he was also on some other No Limit albums, but he was really only hot for two or three years.

Then we have the one hit wonders. Mims fits the description of a one hit wonder because besides This Is Why I'm Hot, I doubt if anybody on ABW could name another song by Mims.

1. Pioneer
2. Legend
3. Veteran
4. ???
5. One Hit Wonder

This is all starting to make sense to me.

Back