Welcome To aBlackWeb

Keep it real, you still living with ya folks?

Still at mom dukes?

• Yes

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • No

Votes: 42 93.3%
  • Maybe so

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They live with me

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Only in America do we shame folks living with their parents. As long as they are helping financially I don't see the issue

It wasn't until I lived around first generation Americans I learned the benefits of it. That's why I encouraged my sister to stay with my parents and save for a house. She just retired from the military.

I told her I saw working professionals still living at home that saved a nest egg and my nephew wouldn't have to seek out some random father figure. And thank God she was there during the pandemic.

Well… my dad up and moved to Texas when I was 19 and I ain’t wanna go so, nah…

But he always told all of us that we always had a place to stay if we needed as long as we worked/were in school.

It’ll be the same for my daughters. I see no reason to “kick” kids out the house if they ain’t disrespectful and contribute.

What age should a child start paying rent if they decide to stay home? 18? Should there be a specific age?

What age should a child start paying rent if they decide to stay home? 18? Should there be a specific age?
It was established from my first job at 14 that you always contribute to the house you live in. So once they working... Start kicking in

Naw I left in my early 20's didn't want to go and dad was like you can stay if you want to mom was saying the same thing. But felt like I was ready to get out on my own and experience that bachelor life. And only moved back for a 8-9 months when my dad passed and then dipped back out ain't been back since

after I divorced 10 years ago I moved back in with my folks for a bit. I hated it but had to do what I had to do to save money. But I moved out as fast as I could

I 1st left in 08'. Came back after a month. I was working and tryin to chip in on bills...but still struggling financially. So I was in NO position to move out again (wanted to go back to ATL). It was just me and my dad until my cousin moved in.

But I'm glad I was there during that time. My dad one time had a mental breakdown about his health. Fortunately I was home. I was also there as he was going to his appointments/preparations for his cancer surgery. His recovery. Etc. Etc.

Everything happened for a reason tho. Cuz it seem like once he was good, the wheels began turning for me to be able to leave again. I didn't fully leave until like 2014. I would never knock a person still living with their folks. B/c you never know what their situation is like.

Last edited:
Well technically it’s a yes and no

Actually still live at home implies I never left so it’s really no lol

The apartment I’m in is in my childhood home. Well one floor anyways..my dad converted it to a two family after he bought it

He asked me if I wanted to move there to help him fill out the apartment after a tenant left. He just happened to ask at a time when I saw a rat in the toilet at my last place so he caught me when I was vulnerable lol
Damn my guy you had master splinter on ya ass? Lol

Nah can't get jiggy with that. Save their money.
and this is what fuels the negative perception with living at home..

so many look at moving home as a time to save... i contribute wherever i went to in my life....

i came home to help more than i came to save...my mom hit me with the why put money into a renters pocket and not into the home that's been in my fmaily for generations

so many look at moving home as a time to save... i contribute wherever i went to in my life....

i came home to help more than i came to save...my mom hit me with the why put money into a renters pocket and not into the home that's been in my fmaily for generations
14 too young to start contributing financially, make them clean the house and outside chores.

This how immigrants come here and get a leg up on us.

America is one of the very few “cultures” that do that sink or swim shit with their kids and treat it like a virtue.

Immigrants come here, start a family business, all of them help, then buy a big ass house and be 3 generations deep in that bitch. 4-5 nice ass cars in the driveway.

I see this shit all the time on my route. They set up for generational success, while we can’t wait to get rid of our own.

Back