Welcome To aBlackWeb

Jay-Z Partnering With The NFL For Social Justice

What side are you on?

• Total voters
I understand why Kap settled. The NFL has enough money to delay that case for years & could possibly win the case. If you have to go to court and have a jury deciding on it, its always safer to settle, because you never know what will happen.

And for the "start our own league" argument, clearly that wasnt really thought out. If my memory is correct a bunch of wealthy white people tried to start their own league to rival the NFL several times and failed. In fact its still going on. I mean, you really just casually just said, start our own multibillion dollar corporation and made it seem like the only reason this isnt happening is because we're afriad of a lil elbow grease, smh.

In fact Trump was involved with an NFL rival in the 80's

United States Football League (1983-1986)
Arguably the most successful challenge to the NFL, the USFL succeeded in luring several stars to its rosters, including future Pro Football Hall of Fame inductees Jim Kelly and Reggie White and Heisman Trophy winner Herschel Walker. President Trump was one of the league’s team owners, purchasing the short-lived New Jersey Generals.
The USFL famously filed an antitrust lawsuit against the NFL. A jury ruled that the NFL was in violation of some antitrust laws, but awarded a judgement of just $3 against the league. The USFL folded in 1986, shortly before it was set to play a fall season in direct competition with the NFL.

XFL (1999-2001

Founded by WWE’s McMahon and NBC Sports, the original XFL sought to unseat the NFL by offering a rougher version of traditional football. Promoted as football with fewer rules and bigger hits, the league featured such gimmicks as scantily clad cheerleaders and nicknames on the back of player jerseys.
Initially drawing widespread publicity, the XFL’s ratings quickly plummeted and the league folded after just one season, having reportedly lost $70 million.

Arena Football League (1987-2008, 2010-)
Played entirely indoors, the AFL uses a shorter field, narrower goalposts and other rule tweaks designed to create a high-scoring, fast style of play. The league enjoyed marginal success throughout the 1990s and early 2000s, securing media rights contracts and producing Kurt Warner, a quarterback who later won two Super Bowls with the St. Louis Rams.
The AFL began facing financial problems in the late 2000s, ultimately canceling its 2009 season and declaring bankruptcy. Featuring as many as 19 franchises at its peak, the league currently has four active teams.

maxresdefault.jpg
20190802_185211.jpg

Also, i dont understand this move. League owners dont really care about their players & care even less about blacks and their struggles, but you team up with these same people cuz they say they'll throw a few dollars to your charity, in exchange for you making them seem cool? I really don't understand people getting "fuck you" money, but dont say that shit to the people they're supposed to. Almost always, they tell it to people they shouldn't, poor people.

I almost feel like if the shit that happened with Cristal Champagne, would of happened today, instead of saying fuck them, niggas would of asked for a sit down to explain that what they said hurt our feelings. Then proudly said they worked for them and release a press release saying "We're working to change company mentality, so that we're more inclusive to other demographic groups".

So you agree with but chose to ignore the reality?
Cmon bruh.
It's like you asking for what i been saying for years but you think I'm saying niggas ain't shit when you asking for the same?

If I say it 10 yrs and you say it 3 yrs...what has or hasn't been done in the 7yrs fir you to have to say it at the beginning of your three?

See the point.

Ok.

What reality am I ignoring?

Also, i dont understand this move. League owners dont really care about their players & care even less about blacks and their struggles, but you team up with these same people cuz they say they'll throw a few dollars to your charity, in exchange for you making them seem cool? I really don't understand people getting "fuck you" money, but dont say that shit to the people they're supposed to. Almost always, they tell it to people they shouldn't, poor people.

I almost feel like if the shit that happened with Cristal Champagne, would of happened today, instead of saying fuck them, niggas would of asked for a sit down to explain that what they said hurt our feelings. Then proudly said they worked for them and release a press release saying "We're working to change company mentality, so that we're more inclusive to other demographic groups".

Or

Hes using them like they used us.

Have the full plans and scope of the partnership been shared yet? If so, anybody got a link?

Jay z better be careful. Damn near everybody especially famous black people run out of passes and having excuses made for them at some point by their own people.

There is at least 2 generations of young people who don't view him in the same reverence as most early 30- high 40 year olds do.

You seem like a good and smart person but I have to disagree with you on the pro sports league idea. You would be asking these young men to take massive pay cuts to play in an upstart league all due to you thinking they hold their race above their financial earning potential? It's not happening in our lifetime.

These kids will not even go to these HBCU's which they could drastically have a bigger impact in helping with less to lose. Just imagine if all or even half these talented black athletes went to HBCU's? Most of these schools wouldn't be in such bad shape as they are in now and it could drastically increase enrollment to these establishments overall

When I say start our own league I don't mean a Black only league, I mean a league that is owned by Black people. This league will have the autonomy to create it's own rules with how they deal with the community and other social issues.

I mean Black owned and operated not Black only.

And yes initially I do expect the ones who are willing build a new league to be willing to take a pay cut or any other sacrifice that's necessary. I expect anyone willing to take any risk in life or create any change in themselves, the community or the world to be willing to make sacrifices for the greater good of the people.

These athletes are nothing short of gladiators. I expect them to be soldiers when it's time to be a soldier.

Imo if 30% of the top athletes in the league decide to help build a new league, 90% of the people would support them, not just with our words but with our money.

Why can't this new league play against the NFL? Now the NFL would have more than one league to compete with. The NFL only competes with itself which isn't real competition at the end of the day. Create a new league and compete against the NFL. That will definitely bring in revenue from both sides and the venues would already be available initially because the NFL has their own. Soon the new league will be able to build venues for their teams if necessary.

Imo if 30% of the top athletes in the league decide to help build a new league, 90% of the people would support them, not just with our words but with our money.

Why can't this new league play against the NFL? Now the NFL would have more than one league to compete with. The NFL only competes with itself which isn't real competition at the end of the day. Create a new league and compete against the NFL. That will definitely bring in revenue from both sides and the venues would already be available initially because the NFL has their own. Soon the new league will be able to build venues for their teams if necessary.

What?

You just making shit up with no research

And 30% of them cant fund a league at all.

The dude that just did the AAF that has more money than the top 30% combined had to cut his losses because the funding is way to much. And that was without teams own places to play and just random stadiums around the states.

And that league dudes was making 100K a year for 3 years.

Dudes would be playing for minimum wage without great facilities, coaching or medical care.

This aint the move. Sports aint like other walks of life where the black dollar can fund shit. Pro sports literally takes all races to thrive.

I know someone who started their own recreational sports league and is getting paid. I was thinking of doing something similar. If an average Joe middle class white man can do that, what can a bunch of financially stable athletes do when they put their resources together for the greater good of the people?

What?

You just making shit up with no research

And 30% of them cant fund a league at all.

The dude that just did the AAF that has more money than the top 30% combined had to cut his losses because the funding is way to much. And that was without teams own places to play and just random stadiums around the states.

And that league dudes was making 100K a year for 3 years.

Dudes would be playing for minimum wage without great facilities, coaching or medical care.

This aint the move. Sports aint like other walks of life where the black dollar can fund shit. Pro sports literally takes all races to thrive.

Got it. So what are some solutions? You've knocked all mine...

Idk why ppl keep bringing up the sb performances. Jay turned em down himself. If all he cared about was sellin out for a check that was his opportunity.

He took it two steps farther and instead of just singing and dancing and accomplishing nothing hes in the boardroom with some say so and assume is gonna get more black ppl in there which may lead to more black ownership which can change the narrative.

Makes no sense to cast him off completely with literally no detail of their plans.

Back