Welcome To aBlackWeb

Jay-Z Partnering With The NFL For Social Justice

What side are you on?

• Total voters
A pro sports league can not thrive in the USA without white ppl. Ticket sales, merchandise etc... We cant carry a league. Plus all black folks are not sports fans.

We are to small of the total population to make a sports league with everything that is needed.

Are non-blacks gon be allowed to come to games and shit like that?

Im all for building a society inside of society.

Black sports leagues thrived before and I have no reason to believe that they can't thrive again.

We can carry a league. Its just that we have to support it. It don't matter that all black people are not sports fans. What matters is those that are support the leagues.

Fuck type of question is the bold. Why wouldn't they?

I hear the HBCU angle but we also have to understand that at the same time these HBCU's don't have the funds to give full or even partial athletic scholarships to these black athletes. They don't have to funds to give the ones who would qualify for academic scholarships. On top of that insurance policies they would need for these athletes is something that has to be taken into account as well.

Just like it would take black wealthy people to get it a sports league funded. It will take those same wealthy black people to help these HBCU's with these college athletes.

I love both ideas and it could work but a whole lot of sacrifice would have to be made on both sides for any of it to come to fruition.

Only question that needs to be asked by all involved "is the greater good of black people more important than myself?"

So far to masses of black people that answer has been a resounding "NO"

There have been a few HBCU NFL notable players like Jerry Rice, Art Shell and Steve McNair. Sadly my favorite sport basketball could really swing the pendulum faster due to one or 2 players drastically changing the outcome of a program but it is very few NBA stars who attended HBCU's

I never thought about the scholarship aspect so I appreciate you bringing that up and it might be a big reason why a lot of the great black athletes don't go to HBCU's. The insurance thing is a little different these days because some parents get big insurance policies on the future earning potential of their kids. I remember (I think it was insurance) Lebron's mom doing this during his senior year of high school.

I know schools also get all types of lucrative endorsements due to their schools potential earning potential so it would only take a couple of top talent guys to commit for these schools to get local and maybe even nationwide endorsements and exposure which could earn the school money to give out future scholarships.

But like you stated some of these guys would have to take that leap of faith and most arent built for being the 1st at anything, especially if they have to hugely sacrifice something. Ultimately the HBCU's need the funding or guys to take the risk of playing for them which most likely isn't happening

Last edited:
Black sports leagues thrived before and I have no reason to believe that they can't thrive again.

We can carry a league. Its just that we have to support it. It don't matter that all black people are not sports fans. What matters is those that are support the leagues.

Fuck type of question is the bold. Why wouldn't they?

Naw. The black dollar cant carry a league. Not enough of us that love sports.

A lot of ppl despise sports in general and think its childish and focused should be on different things.

Ppl right now are not watching or attending games. Just because it would be black ran ppl still aint gon like it. Especially football. I think a black run basketball has a better shot

Jay-Z did a deal, why?? and for what reason? Nobody stated and asked why did he take this deal after trashing these same folks? What was his reason for the deal? And I don't wanna here that he's a business man, there are many business men (black) out here.

Jay-Z gave no fucks about any of this social energy going on in the NFL until Kap did his thing. He dayum wasn't the 1st to come and support Kap, he waited a bit to see what angle the ppl would go with and then he came out with his voice saying this and that. The NFL been shitting on black players and he aint strike a deal then, it aint like dude wasn't a business man back then when the NFL was shitting on black players.

So I ask, why now? and what the hell could he do to help clean and run these white men business? That nigga can't change a racist mind and black folks think everybody like Jay and he's the all to be all.

GOD we need help.

Feelings and not enough logic being applied in here smh.

Wait and see what? Feelings from blacks and not logically thinking.

If you were Jayz what could you do with a bunch a racist ppl/fans with their company? Not a dayum thing but be a puppet and accept a pay-out.

Make a bunch of feel good IG/twitter post about their fake partnership and gone about your life

The NFL in 2019 will be the same in 2029, aint nothing this nigga will do to change the scope of these white racist folks. Smh. Black ppl wake up. Gall Lee we so dayum feelly feels ppl.

Shit is stupid to even think this nigga will do this, niggas can't even change the scope of a police department being the black chief, but Jayz suppose to do a major change.

A lot of ppl despise sports in general and think its childish and focused should be on different things.

Ppl right now are not watching or attending games. Just because it would be black ran ppl still aint gon like it. Especially football. I think a black run basketball has a better shot

We disagree. Ok moving along

Feelings and not enough logic being applied in here smh.

Wait and see what? Feelings from blacks and not logically thinking.

If you were Jayz what could you do with a bunch a racist ppl/fans with their company? Not a dayum thing but be a puppet and accept a pay-out.

Make a bunch of feel good IG/twitter post about their fake partnership and gone about your life

The NFL in 2019 will be the same in 2029, aint nothing this nigga will do to change the scope of these white racist folks. Smh. Black ppl wake up. Gall Lee we so dayum feelly feels ppl.

Shit is stupid to even think this nigga will do this, niggas can't even change the scope of a police department being the black chief, but Jayz suppose to do a major change.

I dont think he can change the ones in place now.

I do think he can use them to further black movements though.

Breh no disrespect, but what is you talking about fam?

The black dollar can't carry a league, what is you talking about fam?

In one post, you stated the ratings were up, and in this post you are saying ppl are not watching or attending games, which one is it, and the ratings have been down the last 2 years for both the season and superbowl, Drop your link where it states ratings are sky HIGH??

How do you know what ppl will like or won't like? Have you heard of the Negro Leagues fam? There were the Negro League that thrived way ahead of the Major League.

I dont think he can change the ones in place now.

I do think he can use them to further black movements though.

He can't change the ones in place right now...What does that even mean?? So you think the owners kid's or the next folks who own these teams can be changed and won't be racists, these owners are the last group of racists left in the world??

List what ways that he will use them to further the black movement?? What is a black movement breh? How does that even look?

I'll ask you a simple question, Can Jay-z in the next 2 to 5 years have the NFL with 10 or more black Head Coaches on the sidelines, or black owners, he'll black GM?? Hell No

Hell can Jayz and this deal have the NFL with 15 to 18 black QBs starting on NFL roster? Hell No

So why in the hell black ppl are so joyful for this deal, when the nigga can't even have these owners hire black coaches or start the better player on the football field.

What do you think will come outta this deal, other than more Beyonce halftime performances with her bedwench back-up dancers? With bitches on IG going crazy about her slaying and shit. We off that fam.

And what if it’s exactly what we think it is?
Then your guess would be right.

But it doesn't absolve you from jumping to conclusions based on a lack of information.

Unfortunately there are alot of people in the public sphere who believe that their ability to form an opinion or theory validates their opinion or theory as fact, regardless of how much or little information they actually have in forming said opinion or theory.

At best, it's emotionalism. At worst, it's intellectual dishonesty.

You seem like a good and smart person but I have to disagree with you on the pro sports league idea. You would be asking these young men to take massive pay cuts to play in an upstart league all due to you thinking they hold their race above their financial earning potential? It's not happening in our lifetime.

These kids will not even go to these HBCU's which they could drastically have a bigger impact in helping with less to lose. Just imagine if all or even half these talented black athletes went to HBCU's? Most of these schools wouldn't be in such bad shape as they are in now and it could drastically increase enrollment to these establishments overall

And also taking much less money for the exact same health risks both short and long term....also as for the athletes going to HBCU's that would great on one level, but those are still NCAA schools so all that would do is cause a paradigm shift to where HBCU schools would simply become what the SEC is now with the same problems. If anybody thinks those colleges are going to all of a sudden put the "interest of their students" over those billions that come from sports you a fool. A kid on a #1 ranked football team at Grambling would still be getting fucked over as if eh was was at Alabama.

I'm in the wait and see crowd but honestly I think Jay Z is and has always been about his money and they gave him and one of his main ventures a huge job with great earning potential and he jumped on it.

I also can't do anything but shake my head at Jay Z chastising Travis Scott for doing the Super Bowl while he was making deals with the NFL less than a month before the game. SMH.

Hopefully whatever Jay Z and the NFL has planned is actually a really meaningful and substantial project aimed at tackling social injustice

Well the Travis Scott thing goes right in line with what Jay was sayign actually. It's the only real point of clarity so far in all this and that was why ask Travis Scott to be a part of someone's performance when if the SB is asking you to perform you should be big enough to do it on your own. He wanted Scott to be the feature not the side act.

A pro sports league can not thrive in the USA without white ppl. Ticket sales, merchandise etc... We cant carry a league. Plus all black folks are not sports fans.

We are to small of the total population to make a sports league with everything that is needed.

Are non-blacks gon be allowed to come to games and shit like that?

Im all for building a society inside of society.

Hell white folks can barely carry sports leagues and they're the majority.

And also taking much less money for the exact same health risks both short and long term....also as for the athletes going to HBCU's that would great on one level, but those are still NCAA schools so all that would do is cause a paradigm shift to where HBCU schools would simply become what the SEC is now with the same problems. If anybody thinks those colleges are going to all of a sudden put the "interest of their students" over those billions that come from sports you a fool. A kid on a #1 ranked football team at Grambling would still be getting fucked over as if eh was was at Alabama.

I hear where you coming from about the kid still getting some what exploited by the NCAA even if he goes to an HBCU but at least he is helping employee a ton of black people at the university and in surrounding areas. Not to mention how it could influence more blacks kids to go there and actually learn from some teachers that might understand their plight better.

Only issue I see with any of this is how Jay went at Travis but besides that having Jay in the room with all those crackas will hopefully keep them checked. Not saying that it will but I rather have someone in the bldg that can make a difference and influence people to do the right thing moreso on the field. Kap started a great movement now it takes more than a gesture to make a difference.

Still going to wait though and see how this play out because that Travis shit was sneaky.

I hear where you coming from about the kid still getting some what exploited by the NCAA even if he goes to an HBCU but at least he is helping employee a ton of black people at the university and in surrounding areas. Not to mention how it could influence more blacks kids to go there and actually learn from some teachers that might understand their plight better.

To me the kids still being exploited doesn't make it any better just because it's an HBCU doing it because the kid is still putting themselves at the same risk for the same small chance of almost little to no reward for themselves. Yes a prominent athletics program can increase attendance at an HBCU, it's actually been proven successful sports teams help schools bring in more students, but that doesn't mean the source of those increasing numbers aka the athletes are in any better position than they were before. Until that is fixed then the problem will just be shifted onto the backs of HBCU's

Lost in all this is no one really gives a shit about Travis Scott and the Superbowl because y'all didn't watch the halftime show anyway

Back