Welcome To aBlackWeb

OUT NOW Jay Electronica "A Written Testimony" Album Thread

Rate "A Written Testimony"

• Total voters
I've listened to this album countless times today. As a fan of both, I really needed more Jay-E. Even if it was just 10 tracks, you coulda limited Jigga to 1 or 2.
I waited a long time for this and was looking forward to a full course meal but instead got rushed fast food with a few bites of greatness.
And what's with him saying he started this this past December and finished in February. Knowing that makes a whole lot of sense.
Real question is, what the fuck you been doing the past 10 years?
I thought he would've built chemistry with a few more producers and had more direction.
When Jay is rhyming you know he could bring it because his flow is commanding and he says dope shit but you can't deny Jigga on this. That nigga left Earth on a few of those tracks.
I hope the reception lights a fire under him to do better and only be him for the most part.
I ain't talking yes men. I'm talking him being humble about saying he won the lottery about having Jigga on this album. That's damn near cheating.
It's like he's scared with stage fright to hold it down by himself.
Sorry for the long rant.

Yeah there's no reason at all that Jay Elect shouldn't have had 3 more solo tracks.

He's had 10 years to work on this album, surely he could have written nine more 16 bar verses.

I've listened to this album countless times today. As a fan of both, I really needed more Jay-E. Even if it was just 10 tracks, you coulda limited Jigga to 1 or 2.
I waited a long time for this and was looking forward to a full course meal but instead got rushed fast food with a few bites of greatness.
And what's with him saying he started this this past December and finished in February. Knowing that makes a whole lot of sense.
Real question is, what the fuck you been doing the past 10 years?
I thought he would've built chemistry with a few more producers and had more direction.
When Jay is rhyming you know he could bring it because his flow is commanding and he says dope shit but you can't deny Jigga on this. That nigga left Earth on a few of those tracks.
I hope the reception lights a fire under him to do better and only be him for the most part.
I ain't talking yes men. I'm talking him being humble about saying he won the lottery about having Jigga on this album. That's damn near cheating.
It's like he's scared with stage fright to hold it down by himself.
Sorry for the long rant.
When U realize that procrastination is directly related to fear of failure....ergo u wait so long to attack a task so if it doesn’t go as well as you d like you can say well I only did it In this little amount of time and that’s y it turned out like this....

Most of the posts in here is just banter fam, but I do think your post was a poor attempt to defend Jay E's weak performance on his "debut album".

You're saying the majority of hiphop fans .... and i'll preface this point by saying the majority of fans listening to a Jay E album first day aren't casual rap fans, they're more than likely real hiphop fans. But yea, you're saying hiphop fans aren't able to truly understand and appreciate Jay E's bars because we have no reference point? Was Illmatic impossible to break down because we didn't before hand know Nas' story of growing up in the mean streets of Queenbridge? Was Reasonable Doubt unable to be appreciated because we weren't around to see him ditch the 92 bricks?

To say Jay E is receiving luke warm reviews and getting clowned for letting 50 year old Hov wash him on his own album is because we're incapable of deciphering his bars is bullshit fam and you know it.
Do you really think that the era that we're in is identical to the 90s in terms of how audiences receive and digest music?

This isn't an album of posse cuts or trading punchlines as Wu Tang, Children of the Corn, Bone Thugs, Slaughterhouse, etc going in to spit better than the last man in the booth. Jay and Hov went in to spit the best verse for each song.

I don't care about who can and cannot dissect lyrics. I'm talking about who cares about spitting the best verses versus who cares about the complete project. The banter is cool but time will tell who cares about content.

Maybe I'm old enough to where I'm hardly interested in which rapper raps best.

It’s a solid album, but not for the reasons it should of been. Jay-Z had the energy. Jay-E was meh. The fact that it’s supposed to be his debut just makes this all the way backwards. Jay-E comes off like this his 5th joint and he’s just coasting. Meanwhile the real Jay while he’s not perfect on this joint by any means, showed us why he’s a goddamn legend.

The beats are A1 & that’s the one thing I don’t think a lot of people will complain about. Tho it’s pretty clear which Jay is superior. It’s his debut and he decided THIS was the way he wanted to roll it out? The entire vibe feels like Shawn Carter is carrying this nigga through his debut. When it really should be Jay-E doing the heavy lifting. I would of been fine with just him and a feature here or there... but this? It’s been too highly anticipated for him to go about it this way. The equivalent of KD joining the Warriors. Only this nigga really hasn’t won anything . Shame.

My nigga said "Chicagyyy" lmaooo

Bruh, I dare one of you niggas to make this verse sound dope. Please break down the genius in this verse.

I ain't the type to let it slide or just ignore it
Whatever you want get into, my nigga, I'm here for it
I had a shot of D'Usse, now the Ace of Spades is pourin'
My vision's twenty-twenty and the feelin' is euphoric
If I'm not on my Harley then I'm on that Panigale
I'm smellin' like a Marley, doin' ninety on the on-ramp and my destiny is callin'
I represent New Orleans
My mama and my grandma and my hero uncle Charlie
I'm tryna catch a body
No, this is not a maybe, it is definitely probably
I'm gon' give you that wasabi
Look, it could be the dance floor or right in your building lobby
It could be in Lagos or Seattle or Chicag-y
Hotel lobby Grammy after party, it's what-avi
I'm down to catch a body
I drop a gear, I disappear, then re-appear
Then dump the clutch and wheelie down the highway
My debut album featurin' Hov, man, this is highway robbery
It's like I hit the lottery, I busted the piñat-y
Now I'm hot like a tamale, it's just like I caught a body
It will be pandemonium if I show up to the party
May all my haters hit they knees and throw up in the toilet

465e3079-c642-4533-bda0-01c25bc378c3_100_h_6.gif

I still don't know what that shit mean, it just sounds good....

It’s a solid album, but not for the reasons it should of been. Jay-Z had the energy. Jay-E was meh. The fact that it’s supposed to be his debut just makes this all the way backwards. Jay-E comes off like this his 5th joint and he’s just coasting. Meanwhile the real Jay while he’s not perfect on this joint by any means, showed us why he’s a goddamn legend.

The beats are A1 & that’s the one thing I don’t think a lot of people will complain about. Tho it’s pretty clear which Jay is superior. It’s his debut and he decided THIS was the way he wanted to roll it out? The entire vibe feels like Shawn Carter is carrying this nigga through his debut. When it really should be Jay-E doing the heavy lifting. I would of been fine with just him and a feature here or there... but this? It’s been too highly anticipated for him to go about it this way. The equivalent of KD joining the Warriors. Only this nigga really hasn’t won anything . Shame.
Beats ain’t really hitting like that....Jon Brion s work he used on ACT 1>>>>>>>

Do you really think that the era that we're in is identical to the 90s in terms of how audiences receive and digest music?

This isn't an album of posse cuts or trading punchlines as Wu Tang, Children of the Corn, Bone Thugs, Slaughterhouse, etc going in to spit better than the last man in the booth. Jay and Hov went in to spit the best verse for each song.

I don't care about who can and cannot dissect lyrics. I'm talking about who cares about spitting the best verses versus who cares about the complete project. The banter is cool but time will tell who cares about content.

Maybe I'm old enough to where I'm hardly interested in which rapper raps best.

Rap has and always will be competitive. But niggas aren't killing Jay E because Hov outshined him, it's because Jay E said this was his debut album that niggas have been waiting for for about 10 years. The same niggas you claim can't appreciate his lyrics but somehow were able to with all of his music before this album that created the buzz to begin with.

This was his debut album and he let another nigga outshine him on every song, not 1 or 2, every song.

And you're confused as to why niggas are calling him out on it?

the album sucks. hov had to hide the fact he was featured on almost every song because niggas would been looking at the tracklist like “tf going on here?”

LMAO.

electronica's bars were meh and lacked imagination and creativity.

its not over niggas heads, well maybe it is because i had 0 clue on what the nigga was talking about half the time but still, as an artist, you should be able to say even the most complicated shit in a way that entices the listener.

nothing he said reeled me in.
i live around nothing but Black muslims who rap about the Quran and even tho Im not of the faith, they make those scriptures sound sweet

and thats whats missing here

Jay-Z didn't insert himself in albums this heavy in the rocs prime..

He was giving beanie, free, Bleek, young gunz 1 maybe 2 features an album

Kanye maybe a bit more...

But I never officially counted... But it's like 6/10? Right

That's just odd to say the least...

Even still I like the shit...

Couple things that's funny here though....
. With the amount of Lupe fans who love to dig into lyrics..... And those who are saying black thought is a legend.....

I find it odd y'all not higher on this one....

But whatever....weird album cuz if the heavy Jay presence.... But still they got some classic tracks on there...I still love it

the album sucks. hov had to hide the fact he was featured on almost every song because niggas would been looking at the tracklist like “tf going on here?”
View attachment 247513

LMAO.

electronica's bars were meh and lacked imagination and creativity.

its not over niggas heads, well maybe it is because i had 0 clue on what the nigga was talking about half the time but still, as an artist, you should be able to say even the most complicated shit in a way that entices the listener.

nothing he said reeled me in.
i live around nothing but Black muslims who rap about the Quran and even tho Im not of the faith, they make those scriptures sound sweet

and thats whats missing here
The fact that you posted this while possibly listening to black thought in the background is boondocks worthy funny

I think it's a quality album it's just not what Elec shudda put out as a debut. If he'd released Act 2 ten years ago and this was a surprise drop I think the reaction would be different

I'm about 100% sure a couple days after Kobe died Hov and Jay E were talkin and Hov finally called Jay E out like "wtf fam, it's time you finally put out an album. Like we just saw with kobe, you never know. I'll even do the album with you."

Emotions were high, he agreed and now here we are.

My nigga said "Chicagyyy" lmaooo

Bruh, I dare one of you niggas to make this verse sound dope. Please break down the genius in this verse.

I ain't the type to let it slide or just ignore it
Whatever you want get into, my nigga, I'm here for it
I had a shot of D'Usse, now the Ace of Spades is pourin'
My vision's twenty-twenty and the feelin' is euphoric
If I'm not on my Harley then I'm on that Panigale
I'm smellin' like a Marley, doin' ninety on the on-ramp and my destiny is callin'
I represent New Orleans
My mama and my grandma and my hero uncle Charlie
I'm tryna catch a body
No, this is not a maybe, it is definitely probably
I'm gon' give you that wasabi
Look, it could be the dance floor or right in your building lobby
It could be in Lagos or Seattle or Chicag-y
Hotel lobby Grammy after party, it's what-avi
I'm down to catch a body
I drop a gear, I disappear, then re-appear
Then dump the clutch and wheelie down the highway
My debut album featurin' Hov, man, this is highway robbery
It's like I hit the lottery, I busted the piñat-y
Now I'm hot like a tamale, it's just like I caught a body
It will be pandemonium if I show up to the party
May all my haters hit they knees and throw up in the toilet

Yo deadass I realized after hearing this I was good if he never drops a real album.

The jig is up.

Back