Welcome To aBlackWeb

OUT NOW Jay Electronica "A Written Testimony" Album Thread

Rate "A Written Testimony"

• Total voters
Jay E had 2.5 dope verses on here.

95% of the other shit was "the honorable elijah muhammad said..." and "Puff told me i should make an album" "jay said i should make an album, he asked if i was scared of heights" " my ex said i should make an album"

:smh:
I usually despise this nigga opinion on anything music related but he's dead on and I'm punching the air at this moment because I'm agreeing with this nigga.

Jay E got 4 bars on some his songs for HIS album talking about he said she said.

Meanwhile the album is 4/5 Jada shit better though

This response from the public could have been predicted if Jay E tweeted "Aye yall... me and Hov making a collab album"

Both artists put their energy, image, and core content into this raps. So you know what you're getting in a 2020 Hov verse just like you know what you're getting in a Jay E verse.

So there are two types of rap fans: The ones who are going to debate flows, punchlines, and who "killed" who. And the ones who are going to discuss the content of the lyrics. Put both of them in the same room and it's like the Tower of Babel.

Why? Because when Hov addresses anything in his raps, we connect it to everything we've ever seen, read, or heard about him since 95. But when Jay E raps, only a small percentage (5%) will connect it to anything while the majority will dismiss it as religious/tin foil hat/blackity black talk.

I'm willing to bet the lines most of yall will remember most is Jay E referencing:

1. his relationship with a billionaire chick
2. Signing a contract but missing dates
3. Having Hov on his debut and winning the lottery

85%ers debating with 5%ers.
Just because something is over heads doesn't mean it's meaningful. Some of Jay's best work isn't even referential to his life. Jay E, especially with this album, has issues translating his message to the ears that need to hear it. Ain't nobody trying to sit thru 30 second intros and beats that sound like Andre the Giant humming while shaking a chandelier just to hear rehashed Quran quotes and old New Orleans bounce references. I'm exaggerating of course, but only a little. Other than the timing and the fact we finally got a full Jay E project, it's not that deep.

This response from the public could have been predicted if Jay E tweeted "Aye yall... me and Hov making a collab album"

Both artists put their energy, image, and core content into this raps. So you know what you're getting in a 2020 Hov verse just like you know what you're getting in a Jay E verse.

So there are two types of rap fans: The ones who are going to debate flows, punchlines, and who "killed" who. And the ones who are going to discuss the content of the lyrics. Put both of them in the same room and it's like the Tower of Babel.

Why? Because when Hov addresses anything in his raps, we connect it to everything we've ever seen, read, or heard about him since 95. But when Jay E raps, only a small percentage (5%) will connect it to anything while the majority will dismiss it as religious/tin foil hat/blackity black talk.

I'm willing to bet the lines most of yall will remember most is Jay E referencing:

1. his relationship with a billionaire chick
2. Signing a contract but missing dates
3. Having Hov on his debut and winning the lottery

85%ers debating with 5%ers.

Charlie-Murphy-Laughing.gif

Is this nigga serious?

Back