Welcome To aBlackWeb

Janelle Monáe trying to cancel rappers (she is)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So she's a hypocrite because she's signed to Big Boi and signed Jidenna? We know that she hasn't had conversations with them about having a problem with their misogynistic lyrics?

While I agree that we have no idea if she's had these conversations with them in private or not... Her putting the statement that she did out there opens her up to that criticism tho.. which is why I wasnt disagreeable to someone having that stance

While I agree that we have no idea if she's had these conversations with them in private or not... Her putting the statement that she did out there opens her up to that criticism tho.. which is why I wasnt disagreeable to someone having that stance

I don't see why the statement opens her up to criticism. Disagreement, I can understand. But what is there to criticize in her opinion?

because nigga has way more negative connotations to it than bitch

Have women had parts of time where they were treated unfairly yes,but there's also times of women being beloved and societies that worshiped women and treated them very well.

There was no time where when nigga was/is strictly used as a slur by others that it was good.

We repurposed it and it became slang.

So it's the same for bitch .

like I said I love women,but I'm also a nigga who had what I thought was the love of my life take a hot steaming shit on my soul

women are capable of great evil and those women should be called bitches.

but also it's just slang like nigga.

What society where women were worshipped? Also you just bitter from an ex

I don't see why the statement opens her up to criticism. Disagreement, I can understand. But what is there to criticize in her opinion?

Maybe I didn't word it the right way.

I just meant her saying that

"the amount of misogyny from most of men in rap and music is infuriating . We need to abolish that shit too"

opens her up to the argument that she might be a hypocrite because she makes music with, funds and supports artists that are in rap that have some misogynist subject matter.

In a thread way back you literally gave me examples of societies like that fam.

recent societies like the past few centuries? Or was I talking about small tribal societies? Or was I talking about how women played a bigger role in religion in ancient times? Because you keep saying stuff with no detail or context

so the positive songs have a stronger impact than negative. Was Dear Mama as big as Hit Em Up?
IDK how you really define the impact but Dear Mama was number 1 in rap in Billboard and reached 9 in the top 100

it ranked top 10 in every other black music category besides 1 where it was 16

Hit Em up was a B side and never actually charted as far as I can tell.

Hit em up is highly regarded as possibly the best diss ever,but if we're talking impact,Dear mama may have reached more ppl who are casual listeners.

Diss records don't tend to be huge records mainstream wise

Last edited:
Maybe I didn't word it the right way.

I just meant her saying that

"the amount of misogyny from most of men in rap and music is infuriating . We need to abolish that shit too"

opens her up to the argument that she might be a hypocrite because she makes music with, funds and supports artists that are in rap that have some misogynist subject matter.

I can dig that. But that goes back to us not knowing what conversations she's had with her artists and employer. Or knowing what she'll do regarding those artists moving forward.

really I knew it was big but I ain’t think it was in his top 5. Then again he died when I was like 8

Yeah that subject matter crossed a lot of barriers. I hear it almost every mother's day.

What society where women were worshipped? Also you just bitter from an ex
There are plenty of places where women weren't treated badly,but I don't have time to research the entire history of women

There's no doubt that men usually run things and have treated women unfairly at times

and my break up is in the past

I thought the same way before that

Then I went through a real "fuck bitches" phase

And now I'm pretty much how I was before but more vigilant of some women's bs.

but no it has nothing to do with that.

I was probably more misogynistic before i got into a long term relationship than now.

I been on what I be on for the most part.

I actually respect and admire the ppl who have a different opinion

I wish I could go back to thinking like that in a way,but .....DAWKNESS

eh, someone with an opinion about rap. ok, cool.

She can listen to whoever she wants. no problem there. I'm sure there is a lot of music she dosn't like that seems to be unavoidable if she is engaged in any social aspect of society. If it's popular, you're gonna hear it whether you like it or not so her sharing her opinion on it isnt out of pocket.

the opinion itself... generalizations are hell. hyperbole even moreso. Is it present, absolutely. is it prevalent? sure. but MOST MEN? quite the statement.

Another thing, the misogyny of most MEN? im sure this was lightly mentioned already but is the misogyny of women not a problem? should that be abolished as well?

now it seems the most egregious part of the tweet is that she could even suggest abolishing rap content. Not only that, but suggesting that a collective of people ("we") should do this because of an opinion that a single person ("I") has about it. I'm not sure what credentials she has that gives her the audacity, but it's a tweet. on Twitter. That's an open forum that allows anyone to voice such opinions for free. so it shouldn't be taken anymore seriously than that.

And by that same token, her doing so definitely opens the door to criticism. She has opinions, so do the people that can see her shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back