Welcome To aBlackWeb

IT Careers and Opportunities Thread

What would you like to see in IT Careers and Opportunities Thread

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
They tryin to hire a nigga to be the whole damn IT department & some more shit.
There’s a company down here called Skin Clique. It does beautifulcation stuff for affluent women. Botox treatments on demand type shit. When I was looking for a job they had an opening for IT manager.

I remember thinking why does a company like that need an IT manager and then I saw that the max salary was 80k. So I said let me see what’s.

I did two interviews and they liked me but kept kinda skirting around questions I had about structure and duties. So they ask me what I was looking for and I said 70k and they said bet.

So now I’m like something not right because apparently I’ll be the only IT person in the state and I’d have to go to a warehouse but apparently their who system was cloud based so why the fuck is a warehouse even involved

Then I found out in the IT interview that my one and only direct contact was in Denver.

I said nope..

About time lol. What do you wanna know? What career path are you thinking about?
Where I need to start.

But I'm thinking Cyber security

I know whatever I go will be entry level

As long as the pay is good and I'm not supervising anyone lol

@BDP™️ where you at mayne
First thing you need is CompTIA SEC+

thats your golden ticket for an entry level Cyber position.

Once you get some time under your belt the next tier would be CompTIA CASP+ or ISC CISSP

they are both advanced Cyber certs. The major difference between the two is that CASP is geared more towards technical or "hands on keyboard" and CISSP is made for supervisory roles

In addtion I suggest that you also consider getting a basic cloud computing cert whether you want to do a non-vendor cert like CompTIA Cloud+ or you do a vendor cert like AWS CCP (Certified Cloud Practitioner) or even the AWS Solutions Architect.

Hope that gives you some insight. You know you can hit me offline bout this b. I will be more than happy to help you bro!

Also, one last thing

If you tryna get into the govt contracting space a security clearance is a MUST. I can give you some game on how to get that joint too.

Most of the time the certs you need outside of the cyber stuff will depend on the role and system you will be working with

like if its a Windows based environment then they may want you to have Microsoft Admin Cert or something similar

same if its a Linux based

Ok

Preciate this bro and will definitely hit you up offline but I guess before I do any of this, I guess I'm looking moreso into like what is the first step I need to do

I keep seeing how you can get these certs for free online and stuff but what do I do with that once I get it?

I don't mind making an investment financially into my future but I'm talking 101 level stuff.

I'm also not drinking no Kool aid thinking every one of these cats that post to TikTok making it seem like all I gotta do is get out of bed, go to YouTube and I can be making 6 figures with no experience will be that easy for me.

I'm a fast learner and willing to sacrifice time and shit to make this transition but I feel like I'm treading water in my current job. My stress levels are increasing by the day and I do not see it decreasing anytime soon.

Ok

Preciate this bro and will definitely hit you up offline but I guess before I do any of this, I guess I'm looking moreso into like what is the first step I need to do

I keep seeing how you can get these certs for free online and stuff but what do I do with that once I get it?

I don't mind making an investment financially into my future but I'm talking 101 level stuff.

I'm also not drinking no Kool aid thinking every one of these cats that post to TikTok making it seem like all I gotta do is get out of bed, go to YouTube and I can be making 6 figures with no experience will be that easy for me.

I'm a fast learner and willing to sacrifice time and shit to make this transition but I feel like I'm treading water in my current job. My stress levels are increasing by the day and I do not see it decreasing anytime soon.
Yeah they be misleading with the "free cert" shit

you can get the TRAINING for free but best believe you paying for them certs

Also, to be honest the absolute easiest point of entry to the IT industry is Desktop Support aka "Helpdesk"

You can get a helpdesk position right now just with your work experience cause you not really doing any super technical System Administration...you mainly will be managing some sort of ticketing system and doing the most basic of admin tasks like resetting passwords, creating accounts, etc.

While you are doing this tho, this is when you get them certs i mentioned, and network with the engineers and admins

and no bullshit you can find yourself in a higher position in a year or less depending on the opportunity and how fast you catch on.

Yeah they be misleading with the "free cert" shit

you can get the TRAINING for free but best believe you paying for them certs

Also, to be honest the absolute easiest point of entry to the IT industry is Desktop Support aka "Helpdesk"

You can get a helpdesk position right now just with your work experience cause you not really doing any super technical System Administration...you mainly will be managing some sort of ticketing system and doing the most basic of admin tasks like resetting passwords, creating accounts, etc.

While you are doing this tho, this is when you get them certs i mentioned, and network with the engineers and admins

and no bullshit you can find yourself in a higher position in a year or less depending on the opportunity and how fast you catch on.
I'm legit watching a YouTube video and the cat said " we wanna avoid the help desk method of getting into Cyber security" 😂😂

I'm legit watching a YouTube video and the cat said " we wanna avoid the help desk method of getting into Cyber security" 😂😂
He not wrong lmao

helpdesk is terrible bro. its a grind for real lol. I cut my teeth on the helpdesk while I was in the Navy

usually you only dealing with stupid customers, angry customers or both lol

being an admin or engineer is GOAT cause you are RARELY interacting with customers

you just get the ticket to fix the shit lol

He not wrong lmao

helpdesk is terrible bro. its a grind for real lol. I cut my teeth on the helpdesk while I was in the Navy

usually you only dealing with stupid customers, angry customers or both lol

being an admin or engineer is GOAT cause you are RARELY interacting with customers

you just get the ticket to fix the shit lol

That's where I'm at; Linux engineering. In just over a year I've had to talk to an end user a grand total of once and that was two months ago. They don't even send tickets my way, the helpdesk gets a ticket, sends it to the systems team, they determine it's a Linux issue and I get emailed. Once I'm done I email the systems lead and he lets the helpdesk know it's done. Only people I deal with are group leads and project managers.

First thing you need is CompTIA SEC+

thats your golden ticket for an entry level Cyber position.

Once you get some time under your belt the next tier would be CompTIA CASP+ or ISC CISSP

they are both advanced Cyber certs. The major difference between the two is that CASP is geared more towards technical or "hands on keyboard" and CISSP is made for supervisory roles

In addtion I suggest that you also consider getting a basic cloud computing cert whether you want to do a non-vendor cert like CompTIA Cloud+ or you do a vendor cert like AWS CCP (Certified Cloud Practitioner) or even the AWS Solutions Architect.

Hope that gives you some insight. You know you can hit me offline bout this b. I will be more than happy to help you bro!

Also, one last thing

If you tryna get into the govt contracting space a security clearance is a MUST. I can give you some game on how to get that joint too.

I'd say that at some point getting your CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker) cert would be beneficial as well. Plus, whatever shit your company uses for security hardware, learn that shit backwards and forwards. One company I worked for I was the go-to for all things FireEye, Tipping Point, RSA Netwitness, Qualsys, and Motorola AirDefense on top of being the guy that handled malware remediation (Symantec Endpoint) and PCI/SOX violations via Symantec DLP 'cause I learned all of that shit.

I'd say that at some point getting your CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker) cert would be beneficial as well. Plus, whatever shit your company uses for security hardware, learn that shit backwards and forwards. One company I worked for I was the go-to for all things FireEye, Tipping Point, RSA Netwitness, Qualsys, and Motorola AirDefense on top of being the guy that handled malware remediation (Symantec Endpoint) and PCI/SOX violations via Symantec DLP 'cause I learned all of that shit.
my org is heavy on Splunk, Tenable Nessus and McAfee (now Trellix) HBSS and endpoint

my org is heavy on Splunk, Tenable Nessus and McAfee (now Trellix) HBSS and endpoint

I've been working with Splunk since about '09 and Nessus (along with it's OpenVAS fork) since about 2011-2012. I haven't fucked with McAfee since ePO back in '07-08.

Ok

Might have to pm a couple of y'all. I'm trying to map out how I'm gonna go about this.

So you’re serious about this. Good
I'm very serious fam

I've been really thinking about how I want this next chapter of my life to be. I feel like a hermit crab that's outgrown it's shell and I can't break it to get free, I just have to wiggle out of it to find a new one.

The stories I could share about being a supervisor where I'm spending more time babysitting than actually working

Back