Welcome To aBlackWeb

Is Reading Overrated?

This thread inspired to start reading this weekend.

I copped aka stole this book from work one day cuz the premise sounded lit
51M7AelJ3SL._SX313_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Synopsis
When Rin aced the Keju, the Empire-wide test to find the most talented youth to learn at the Academies, it was a shock to everyone: to the test officials, who couldn’t believe a war orphan from Rooster Province could pass without cheating; to Rin’s guardians, who believed they’d finally be able to marry her off and further their criminal enterprise; and to Rin herself, who realized she was finally free of the servitude and despair that had made up her daily existence. That she got into Sinegard, the most elite military school in Nikan, was even more surprising.

But surprises aren’t always good.

Because being a dark-skinned peasant girl from the south is not an easy thing at Sinegard. Targeted from the outset by rival classmates for her color, poverty, and gender, Rin discovers she possesses a lethal, unearthly power—an aptitude for the nearly-mythical art of shamanism. Exploring the depths of her gift with the help of a seemingly insane teacher and psychoactive substances, Rin learns that gods long thought dead are very much alive—and that mastering control over those powers could mean more than just surviving school.

For while the Nikara Empire is at peace, the Federation of Mugen still lurks across a narrow sea. The militarily advanced Federation occupied Nikan for decades after the First Poppy War, and only barely lost the continent in the Second. And while most of the people are complacent to go about their lives, a few are aware that a Third Poppy War is just a spark away . . .

Rin’s shamanic powers may be the only way to save her people. But as she finds out more about the god that has chosen her, the vengeful Phoenix, she fears that winning the war may cost her humanity . . . and that it may already be too late

I listen to history podcasts so the fact that it drew from ancient Chinese war history hooked me in. I read like 6 chapters and it was good af but I put it down and never got back to it. And now that I'm looking it up I found out it's a follow up coming this summer and it got some shit about dragons in the title (although I'm sure there ain't real dragons in the story). I'm hype af lmao.

Gonna start this shit this weekend.

Last edited:
I'm pleasantly surprised by a decent amount of the answers in here. I enjoy reading myself and also feel it is underrated by many these days

Books are also put through a more rigorous checking of facts than almost any other form of distributed information. By this I mean if you write a book about an engine or a new discovery from surgeries or an autobiography or a Master's thesis you will be heavily critiqued by the copyright office, the school, the publishers, and every source or claim you make inside of your book. Why? Because noone that is a company involved with your book, or noone whose name is mentioned in your book, or no sponsor wants to be associated with someone or a company known for lying and being SUED. Lawsuits keep most books somewhat in check. Anyone can do a youtube documentary, or a short film and say what they want with fewer pushbacks. The literary world is a scrupulous bunch that if you manage to get published by a large company is set on trying to reduce lawsuits. Therefore the sources used in books often times are more credible and detailed and focused than the information a film provides. [This does not support or say you should believe everything you read]A film or other mediums try to give a 2 hour or 1 hour slot of information. Books can give you anthologies with no time limit. Also our visual attention span does not allow us to maintain large quantities of information because of distractions, and bc film forces us to keep watching to hear or see that next thing in rhythm. When a person reads you control the tempo of information and can replay and imprint the scenarios on your brain in multiple ways that work better for memory. Reading is fundamental.

Back