Welcome To aBlackWeb

COMMUNITY ABW Book Club - What Are You Reading?

View attachment 121678

About to start this I hope it's as good as the British version

Ive recommend this book to a few people and they all loved it, I can honestly say it blew my mind... Try pick this up and give it a chance...

image.png

Couple other books I loved...

image.png

image.png

'Lives don't get much more quixotic or passionately driven than that of the Nicaraguan revolutionary Gioconda Belli. She may have been educated by nuns and dazzled all as a well-heeled society girl, but Gioconda lifted her "guilt of privilege" by joining the Sandinistas in her twenties, to serve and then lead in their underground resistance. If part of her wanted to fulfil society's classic code of femininity and produce four children (which she did), there was also part which wanted the privileges of men - the freedom to carry out clandestine operations, to forge the Sandinista resistance effort even with toddler and infant in tow.'Conspiracy came easy to me,' confesses Belli. She hid political pamphlets from her first husband as she hid her love affairs with remarkable men. This book is a journey of the heart, through marriages and grand passions, as well as an insider's view of a revolutionary movement. From Nicaragua and its intrig ue to Cuba where she locked horns with Castro, to exile in Costa Rica where she organised an underground network, back to a triumphant if short-lived Sandinista government where she was in charge of State television, Gioconda Belli' s life is one of real-life intrigue - political and romantic - and hard-won wisdom. And as a novelist and poet, Belli has created her self-portrait with great skill and eloquence.'

image.png

'Yeonmi Park was not dreaming of freedom when she escaped from North Korea. She didn't even know what it meant to be free. All she knew was that she was running for her life, that if she and her family stayed behind they would die - from starvation, or disease, or even execution.

This book is the story of Park's struggle to survive in the darkest, most repressive country on earth; her harrowing escape through China's underworld of smugglers and human traffickers; and then her escape from China across the Gobi desert to Mongolia, with only the stars to guide her way, and from there to South Korea and at last to freedom; and finally her emergence as a leading human rights activist - all before her 21st birthday.'

Last edited:
This book explores violent behavior being fundamentally linked to abuse and neglect in the first 2 years of life

View attachment 120362
Slightly related but in Beyond the Pale: White Women, Racism, and History. It got a bit that talks about women and domestic abuse and how society warns them not to go out etc. But women are in more danger In their own house

Currently reading:

Swipe Right
The Case for Christ
Scar Tissue
Star Wars
Thinking Fast and Slow
The Princess Diarist

Non-fiction:
1. The Undoing Project-By Michael Lewis- A book about the authors of behavioral economics. It explains why we are compulsed to make purchase decisions, and gives examples of showing how groups respond to various colors, numbers, and words without realizing they are doing so. It examines how the mind is attracted to patterns and makes judgments based off comfort and patterns more than logic.

2. The Tale of the Dueling NeuroSurgeons- By Sam Kean-Shows the discoveries of what surgeons have found since doing surgery on the brain. Some people can hear colors, know a language never spoken, smell numbers, see ghosts; etc. An injury to one section can leave a person unable to recognize loved ones; some brain trauma can even make you a pathological gambler, pedophile, or liar. But a few scientists realized that these injuries were an opportunity for studying brain function at its extremes. With lucid explanations and incisive wit, Sam Kean explains the brain's secret passageways while recounting forgotten stories of common people whose struggles, resiliency, and deep humanity made modern neuroscience possible.

3. Marcus Garvey-Philosophy and Opinions-A book written by Marcus Garvey that tells the Black Man's history and our future. The man who was first infamous for restoring pride in the African American, and traveled the world to distribute the information about the history of the Black Man at a time when it had been almost all but lost. He is the teacher or source of Malcolm X and the Dr. Reverend MLK

4. Power, Faith, and Fantasy-Michael Oren-A book that shows exactly why America got involved in the Middle East from 1776-2007. It documents what presidents, newspapers, and war accounts with Britain, the Confederate South, the Mongol regions, Arabia and North Africa and the Barbary States. It is the first fully comprehensive history of America’s involvement in the Middle East from George Washington to George W. Bush.

5. The Bible-good for the soul {currently reading Numbers and Deuteronomy}

6. Tricks of the Mind-Derren Brown {currently reading}-A mentalist magician reveals his secrets. He delves into the structure and pyschology of magic. He tells you how to read clues in people's behaviour and spot liars. He discusses the whys and wherefores of hypnosis (which he says doesn't exist) and shows how to use the powers of suggestion and massively improve the power of your memory. He also investigates the paranormal industry, exposes a few charlatans and looks at why some of us feel the need to believe in it in the first place... Woven into this are autobiographical stories about Derren's own experiences and beliefs, told with characteristic humour and engaging honesty. This extraordinary book lifts the lid on the deepest darkest secrets of magic and explores the limits of what can be achieved by the human mind. A must for Derren's legions of fans, it will amaze you, entertain you and expand your mind at the same time

7. Game-Neil Strauss- {currently reading}- A writer studies pick up artists to discover their behaviors and routines that help them fuck bitches.

Last edited:
Fiction. Science Fiction. I'm a fan of horror, so basically everything listed is horror.
1. My Best Friend's Exorcism-Hendrix
An unholy hybrid of Beaches and The Exorcist that blends teen angst, adolescent drama, unspeakable horrors, and a mix of ’80s pop songs into a pulse-pounding supernatural thriller

2. NOS4A2-Joe Hill
Victoria McQueen has a secret gift for finding things: a misplaced bracelet, a missing photograph, answers to unanswerable questions. On her Raleigh Tuff Burner bike, she makes her way to a rickety covered bridge that, within moments, takes her wherever she needs to go, whether it’s across Massachusetts or across the country.

Charles Talent Manx has a way with children. He likes to take them for rides in his 1938 Rolls-Royce Wraith with the NOS4A2 vanity plate. With his old car, he can slip right out of the everyday world, and onto the hidden roads that transport them to an astonishing – and terrifying – playground of amusements he calls “Christmasland.”

Then, one day, Vic goes looking for trouble—and finds Manx. That was a lifetime ago. Now Vic, the only kid to ever escape Manx’s unmitigated evil, is all grown up and desperate to forget. But Charlie Manx never stopped thinking about Victoria McQueen. He’s on the road again and he’s picked up a new passenger: Vic’s own son.

3. Fellside-M.R. Carey
Fellside is a maximum security prison on the edge of the Yorkshire Moors. It's not the kind of place you'd want to end up. But it's where Jess Moulson could be spending the rest of her life. It's a place where even the walls whisper.
And one voice belongs to a little boy with a message for Jess.
Will she listen?

4. Hex-Thomas Olde Heuvelt
Whoever is born here, is doomed to stay 'til death. Whoever settles, never leaves.
Welcome to Black Spring, the seemingly picturesque Hudson Valley town haunted by the Black Rock Witch, a seventeenth century woman whose eyes and mouth are sewn shut. Muzzled, she walks the streets and enters homes at will. She stands next to children's bed for nights on end. Everybody knows that her eyes may never be opened or the consequences will be too terrible to bear.
The elders of Black Spring have virtually quarantined the town by using high-tech surveillance to prevent their curse from spreading. Frustrated with being kept in lockdown, the town's teenagers decide to break their strict regulations and go viral with the haunting. But, in so doing, they send the town spiraling into dark, medieval practices of the distant past.

5. The Dark Tower series-Stephen King- just finished the series a second time.

What are some good fiction books for kids?

I have The Hobbit and Star Wars that I haven’t read to them yet. My wife and I are going to start a nightly reading series w them soon w The Hobbit. We will read them the whole series eventually. Same w The Chronicles of Narnia.

What are some other books?

What are some good fiction books for kids?

I have The Hobbit and Star Wars that I haven’t read to them yet. My wife and I are going to start a nightly reading series w them soon w The Hobbit. We will read them the whole series eventually. Same w The Chronicles of Narnia.

What are some other books?
Depends on how old your kids are. I'd wait till my kid was at least 11 until I'd let them read this book below, but I guess if you're reading to your kids they're probably younger.
The Unwind Dystology by Neal Shuterman was great to me

For young kids 8 and under: I'd recommend Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking glass

Currently reading:

Swipe Right
The Case for Christ
Scar Tissue
Star Wars
Thinking Fast and Slow
The Princess Diarist

Swipe Right
The Case for Christ

done

Started ‘Ready Player One’, this guys writing is kind of annoying.. but I do like the story, I’ve already seen the movie, gonna have to rewatch after the book tho to see what’s different...

It’s been a minute since I’ve read the other ones. I think I may have finished the Carrie Fisher book but I can’t rememver lmao I’m gonna have to re read it...

Ordered Coraline and the Chronicles of Narnia series.

... this thread shouldn’t be tucked away in this sub forum, no traffic...

I just finished The Witching Hour by Anne Rice and started The Matarese Circle by Robert Ludlum.

Audio book via Amazon... Free three month subscription

514wFy5QfmL._SL500_.jpg

First publication off Michael Mann Books...

Hardcopy

The_Stand_cover.jpg

about 13 chapters in

upload_2019-6-13_13-43-44.jpeg

the gawd back with another banger, and all new characters....

Attachments

• upload_2019-6-13_13-43-46.jpeg
    upload_2019-6-13_13-43-46.jpeg
    13 KB · Views: 22
love that whole series.. the tie in to the vampires was definitely forced tho....

Finished The Matarese Circle by Ludlum and just started Interview With A Vampire. I felt it was time to revisit the world of Lestat.

Back