Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION Is Marvel's Black Panther movie really a "special moment" for Black America??

And why are so many people saying he didn't have a plan after disposing of oppressive regimes?

He wanted a Wakandan empire, meaning taking whatever worked for the government of Wakanda and apply it on a global scale, just governed by Wakanda specifically. Did you want a scene of him explaining how empires work? I felt it was pretty self explanatory.

He wanted a Killmonger empire

he didnt give jack shit about Wakanda or its ppl

He lacked respect. If he wasnt a straight killer he couldve ook over easier. He was Royal blood Tchalla wouldve let him in the circle. He couldve used that to work from the inside if he was smart about taking over.

But nooooo he was like fuck that I want everything now its a new reign. He had all right to be extremely pissed at the Royal Family for all he knows they viewed him as less than. But all his actions wouldve made Wakanda a target.

Last edited:
I just think yall identify with him because of BAs own displacement and disenfranchisement

other than that, theres not much to be desired from killmonger

Q6LJ.gif

Aye, aye, aye. Check this out. Lemme holla at you right quick. I'ma need you to straighten this up or this e-relationship ain't gon work out.

I just think yall identify with him because of BAs own displacement and disenfranchisement

other than that, theres not much to be desired from killmonger

Bingo!!! This was the biggest reason a lot of folks some what sympathized with the character. He did want to liberate “in his words” Black people but he wanted to be the leader or at the forefront of the cause and was willing to do anything to make this happen.

Like you stated he was an angry person who only knew violence as a way to solve his issues. The man was angry at the colonizers for doing what they’ve done to Black people around the globe and he was mad at Wakanda for having the means to help and doing nothing.

There was no middle ground for him and his ideology and he was willing to kill anyone who didn’t totally agree with it

Man, I just know that nigga killmonger was a fucking thug and y'all told me y'all wanted to see black panther cuz y'all was tired of seeing Niggaz play thugs....

But all y'all talk about is the thuggiest nigga in the whole movie and all the ridiculously trill shit he said and did....

Well Got damn....... It must be two sidessssssss
"riight"

ok so he wasnt for Black ppl wth
Come on now... he was clearly for Black people. He just was willing to kill whoever stood in his way. I know you recognize nuance. No one is "all or nothing".
He wanted a Killmonger empire

he didnt give jack shit about Wakanda or its ppl
Well the movie i saw said he wanted a Wakandan empire.

I don't get this desire to rewrite the movie just because you don't like certain parts of it.

She was out of,combat by then. Unless she was a soldier.

Lmao. My nigga... There is no such thing as "out of combat" once you engage in killing people. Especially innocent ones.

You think war happens on some predetermined area like, "The British are coming!"? Nah. It's on sight, wherever you are.

I'm ex-military, so maybe my mindset is wired differently. I know I'd hate for yo ass to be in the field with me though.

"Well, that mortar wasn't really near us. Sooooo......"

C'mon, bruh. There's a reason the saying is "live by the sword, die by the sword."

You're saying what you're saying because she's a woman, but I've met women that don't fuck around wit the fuck around.

Come on now... he was clearly for Black people. He just was willing to kill whoever stood in his way. I know you recognize nuance. No one is "all or nothing".

Well the movie i saw said he wanted a Wakandan empire.

I don't get this desire to rewrite the movie just because you don't like certain parts of it.

I didnt rewrite anything.

I also loved ALL the movie

Ive been in this thread for days

maybe go back and reread my previous post

Man, I just know that nigga killmonger was a fucking thug and y'all told me y'all wanted to see black panther cuz y'all was tired of seeing Niggaz play thugs....

But all y'all talk about is the thuggiest nigga in the whole movie and all the ridiculously trill shit he said and did....

"riight"

And he was African American.

Killmonger was the best villain in my opinion that the Marvel Cinamatic Universe has had though. I stated that in the actual movie thread.

His character wasn’t just a crazy person that wanted to watch the world burn. He wasn’t a villain for financial gain. His gripe as well as the movies message was rooted in current day reality and politics. The writers did a great job of making a movie that has sparked a lot of dialogue about many things.

I'd also argue that despite Wakanda having a king, it felt way more like a matriarchy than a patriarchy. Like a lion pride -- yeah, there's a king, but we all know that the lioness are the ones that put in the work.

Black women were the most integral and abundant gender/race in the entire film. Could it stand to reason that Killmonger fucked them up simply by way of proxy? Since there were more of them that played an important role in Wakanda's society?

Outside of Jordan, ain't nobody talkin bout any other man's performance in that movie like that. Boseman did an awesome job as T'Challa, but the stars were Lupita, Letitia and Danai.

Daniel Kaluya was talking about how he loved his role when W'kabi was shown submitting to Okoye. He said it felt good to show a strong, dark skinned man submitting to strong, black woman after making such a big mistake.

It just feels disingenuous that Coogler, and his team, would go through all this trouble to build up black women like they did, only for them to be interpreted as tools for us to use how we see fit and then disregarded at a moment's notice.

It just don't add up.

I'm not sure what you mean. It wasn't really a patriarchy or a matriarchy. The monarchy seemed to patrilineal, but outside of that, power seemed to be split between men and women equally. Both men and women were part of the council. The Dora Milaje were all women, but the soldiers seemed to be mostly men. Shuri ran the lab, but that was because she seems to be legitimately the smartest person there. Wakanda probably has as close to equal society for gender as you get. I think it was patterned after some older African societies too.

I'm not sure what you mean. It wasn't really a patriarchy or a matriarchy. The monarchy seemed to patrilineal, but outside of that, power seemed to be split between men and women equally. Both men and women were part of the council. The Dora Milaje were all women, but the soldiers seemed to be mostly men. Shuri ran the lab, but that was because she seems to be legitimately the smartest person there. Wakanda probably has as close to equal society for gender as you get. I think it was patterned after some older African societies too.

I can rock with that. But the points that can be taken from the rest of my post remain untouched.

"riight"
man SU

I'll just put this here. It's a little interesting, but kinda long.

It seems black people aren't the only people that put a lot of emphasis on movies. It also can give you some insight into why black people are perceived the way they are around the world. Even the ones that didn't particularly like the movie expressed an opinion that it made them look at black people differently. One kid said it meant that the era of discrimination is over, which is laughably ridiculous, but he spoke highly of the people that casted and directed the movie and he was one of the people that didn't even rank it highly.

Back