Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION Is Marvel's Black Panther movie really a "special moment" for Black America??

Lol I actually saw it last Wednesday.

Dope movie... As expected....

I just ain't feel that cultural connection from shit that was going on in that movie....

They still seemed like foreigners to me....I actually was laughing at some of killmonger dialogue cuz it reflects the very real disconnect I spoke of....

I still laugh at the arguments surroundingb the film, because they represent the same shit in brought up...

All in out.....I really don't care....I was never really passionate about my argument...I just love the energy of the debate....

At the end of the day, I'll let people who take it more to heart finish the discussion. Cuz my mind is made up....

I just don't feel that connection to Africa, and them Niggaz dancing and having parades at the movies was doing the most.... I'm glad they had fun.... But the shit was still silly....

The movie was good.... Wish I had seen it in IMAX.... But it wasn't worth the annoyance of the over reaction.....

Shit a month later and it was still kids talking all through the shit...

Niggaz can be annoying fam.... And this movie brought out the worst of it...

You know Niggaz mad now because the movie wasnt MORE commercial and financially successful..... Shit breaking mad records... But Niggaz mad b cuz none of the fast food restaurants hopped on the hype train....

Shit just never ending

Fuck fast food restaurants. We don't need to be eating that garbage anyway.

If I want to eat in celebration of black panther I'll go to my local Senegalese spot and get some Yassa chicken and jollof rice.

I think the internet over blew things as it always does. I liked the movie for what it was....a super hero movie. In most theaters people weren't doing all the extra shit with the drums and garb. Was it dope to see an all black cast not shucking and jive talking? Yes. Was the marketing done intentionally to target minorities and "SJW's"? Yes. Racists aren't gonna spend paper to see an all black cast other than just to have something to bitch about on their blogs and cesspools. IMO it was an overhyped cool movie. Also John Stewart(Green Lantern)>>>>T'Challa, but that's another story

Like 100mbd said the internet over blew it. I never heard anybody discussing this movie or debating it outside the thdater.. The youtube reviews pissed me off both from alt right cracked and and armchair revolutionary ass holeswho over sensationalized and politicized a comic book superhero movie both knew nothing about the source material add to the fact that like most superhero movies bp stayed from the source material somewhat. Its great that the movie is getting the success that it has doing numbersband all but what does that do for us? Most of that money is going right into the pockets of the Hollywood jewsThe white reviewrwers were just butthurt because of that colonizer insult and the semi militant idiots got on my nerves who called themselves riding for killmonger. There's no white bashing in the comics kept maybe the new tanehisi coates run which I haven't read yet.

Fascinating how one of the most profitable movies of all time can be considered overhyped.

This isn't music where people will call a singer or rapper the GOAT because of their image or the production behind their vocals. All we have to evaluate a film is what we see, hear, and understand on screen.

Now, just because you're in the minority opinion that doesn't see it as a great film, suddenly it's overhyped. 1.279 billion says the hype was justified.

Fascinating how one of the most profitable movies of all time can be considered overhyped.

This isn't music where people will call a singer or rapper the GOAT because of their image or the production behind their vocals. All we have to evaluate a film is what we see, hear, and understand on screen.

Now, just because you're in the minority opinion that doesn't see it as a great film, suddenly it's overhyped. 1.279 billion says the hype was justified.

Because its trendy to be against anything popular

...and for those people says it was marketed a certain way.. nah the "marketing" was word of mouth grass roots shits aside from the trailer.. they didnt market the movie.. the presence of the movie and the cast marketed themselves.. stop with these stupid narratives... There was no hard charging campaign ...

...and for those people says it was marketed a certain way.. nah the "marketing" was word of mouth grass roots shits aside from the trailer.. they didnt market the movie.. the presence of the movie and the cast marketed themselves.. stop with these stupid narratives... There was no hard charging campaign ...

Word. Folks was hyped ever since the end credits of Civil War.

And at this point in the game, all Marvel gotta do is put a trailer and it's gonna have 20m views by the end of the day and 50m by the end of the week.

Shit IW is 3 weeks away and I haven't seen a TV spot yet, but that joint already passed BP in pre tickets sales.

Dude.... That's the direct result of over hyping things....

Take the most profitable anything in media..... More than likely there's gonna be quite a few folk that say it's over rated or over hyped...

Was avatar good? Yes.
Greatest movie ever? Not even close.
Most profitable movie ever... Extremely close

Black panther in my opinion was better than Avatar... And a pretty good movie overall.

But yes shit was not the greatest black movie of all time. Not even close. One of the better super hero/comic movies.... But not even the best of those....

Very good, very entertaining.... But Niggaz did the most

Dude.... That's the direct result of over hyping things....

Take the most profitable anything in media..... More than likely there's gonna be quite a few folk that say it's over rated or over hyped...

Was avatar good? Yes.
Greatest movie ever? Not even close.
Most profitable movie ever... Extremely close

Black panther in my opinion was better than Avatar... And a pretty good movie overall.

But yes shit was not the greatest black movie of all time. Not even close. One of the better super hero/comic movies.... But not even the best of those....

Very good, very entertaining.... But Niggaz did the most
You're conflating fact and opinion.

Everyone's measure of greatness is different but history is written by the victor.

I think Avatar was a shit movie but to say it was overhyped just because I personally didn't like it is silly as hell. If it was overhyped, it wouldn't have made the money it made. Hype precedes performance.

Like people will say Lonzo Ball was overhyped because his performance didn't really match the hype. Now how in the hell did Black Panther's performance not match its hype?

Overhype does not sustain itself to this extent.

An overhyped movie would fail rather spectacularly at the box office. It'll have an amazing opening weekend and fall completely off the face of the planet once word of mouth spreads about how it didn't live up to it's hype. You'll end up with folks walking out tellin their friends "Wait for this shit to come on regular TV", not even HBO or Netflix, and that would spell the end of the movie.

I loved the movie and agree that it was an important event because it showed that films with all black cast and mostly crew can be a global money maker.

But I can’t agree that this movie wasn’t heavily marketed. The statement isn’t true at all. It might not have been all in fast food spots but Brisk iced tea had Black Panther cans, commercials were heavily marketed throughout NBA games and I Don’t have cable television. They had crossover car commercials even the soundtrack was hyped and played every place. Not to mention all the media coverage

Ok, let's say it was heavily marketed... What if it bombed?

Then what?

Marketing in 2018 ain't how it was in 1998.

People not watching as much TV due to commercials and lack of content, waiting week to week etc...

People drinking more and more water in lieu of soda, etc..

Word of mouth and social media got this movie popping.

Most of the people that saw it didn't even rest civil war when he makes his first appearance in the MCU

An over hyped doesn't have to be bad.

Like I said earlier, Avatar wasnt bad, neither was 300, or Titanic. But I can never see myself watching them again.

I'll watch bp again... It was a good movie... But I still feel the hype surrounding itwas over kill. It was a normal ass super hero movie to me

I don't think it was better than dark Knight, and dark Knight was no where near as hyped up at this...

Back