Welcome To aBlackWeb

Inside Tyler Perry Studios' Grand Opening Gala

adding on to what I said about BITH and Menace... hood flicks on the big screen slowed to a trickle by 94-95. By then you might get one a year or so. We still got this nigga TP making movies AND he's on TV on like 5-6 channels regurgitating the same shit.

Context is everything.

At the time, we (Black folks) didn't have anything like Boyz In the Hood that spoke to us in that manner, written and directed by a Black man at that. It showed a part of the Black Experience that had never been seen on the big screen, and once we had our fill of it we left the shit alone. Truthfully, Boyz, Menace, and South Central was all the hood flicks we needed to see and it shows by just how quickly it died out. Them shits came and went within 4-5 years outside of direct-to-video flicks like that Fat Joe/Mack 10 trash.

Maybe it's fair to just say... that shit aint for me... or I'm tired of seeing films like that.

Me personally... I debate with my homies all the time about how i'm sick and tired of seeing us portrayed as slaves or butlers and just watching films of black suffering...

Same way I feel about those movies... someone could feel about hood movies....or silly ass comedies with no substance.. or comic movies even..

Just cuz yall tired of it doesnt mean it has no relevance, importance or brings enjoyment to someone else. To say it is damaging to the community tho... in my opinion is just as ridiculous as the cats that say comic book movies ruined cinema just cause YALL dont like it

Maybe it's fair to just say... that shit aint for me... or I'm tired of seeing films like that.

Me personally... I debate with my homies all the time about how i'm sick and tired of seeing us portrayed as slaves or butlers and just watching films of black suffering...

Same way I feel about those movies... someone could feel about hood movies....or silly ass comedies with no substance.. or comic movies even..

Just cuz yall tired of it doesnt mean it has no relevance, importance or brings enjoyment to someone else. To say it is damaging to the community tho... in my opinion is just as ridiculous as the cats that say comic book movies ruined cinema just cause YALL dont like it

It's damaging because it's intended audience (largely church going Black women) takes that shit to heart and acts on it as if it's real life. In the same way that niggas started doing van-based carjackings after Menace came out, Black women pick apart Tyler's depictions of Black men and apply it to their own lives, directed towards their S/O's.

@konceptjones U wasting ya time

Shoutout to Perry for the Studio

But that nigga Is Horrible Behind that Lens

Nigga Got a Decade Of Trash on his Resume , Lol @ getting behind somebody just b/C they Black

Quality over Everything

It's damaging because it's intended audience (largely church going Black women) takes that shit to heart and acts on it as if it's real life. In the same way that niggas started doing van-based carjackings after Menace came out, Black women pick apart Tyler's depictions of Black men and apply it to their own lives, directed towards their S/O's.

Is that the problem of the storyteller... or the people that are acting out shit they see being told in the story?

I like some superhero flicks... im not bout to backflip off a fuckin building with a cape on or try to stop an oncoming train with my bare hands just cuz I saw it in a tv show or movie.

lol that was of course a ridiculous example but the same logic applies. At some point... folks gotta take personal responsibility.

Just like many of us point out how ridiculous it is when Republicans try to blame mass shootings on video games.. it's just as ridiculous for yall to say movies are majorly influencing peoples behavior and fuckin up the community

This sound personal as hell cause I sure you don't have research, data, or stats to back any of this up

I find it interesting yall have all this energy for TP and his films(crappy as they may be)... but dont say shit about music tho...

Most folks can tell with a movie or a tv show that theres an ACTOR telling/playing a story... with music... people really believe the shit these rappers are spittin

And that's why Disney gave y'all t'challa

tenor.gif

I find it interesting yall have all this energy for TP and his films(crappy as they may be)... but dont say shit about music tho...

Most folks can tell with a movie or a tv show that theres an ACTOR telling/playing a story... with music... people really believe the shit these rappers are spittin

I think music has legit influence than say a movie or video game

Is that the problem of the storyteller... or the people that are acting out shit they see being told in the story?

I like some superhero flicks... im not bout to backflip off a fuckin building with a cape on or try to stop an oncoming train with my bare hands just cuz I saw it in a tv show or movie.

lol that was of course a ridiculous example but the same logic applies. At some point... folks gotta take personal responsibility.

Just like many of us point out how ridiculous it is when Republicans try to blame mass shootings on video games.. it's just as ridiculous for yall to say movies are majorly influencing peoples behavior and fuckin up the community

His movies are written to intentionally play on their fears and emotions; they resonate with his core audience. They walk out of the theater emotionally charged and that's what brings them back; they "feel" like they got something out of his movies and then act on those feelings.

Hood niggas saw Menace, New Jersey Drive, and shit like that and was like Wee bay

giphy.gif

Those flicks literally gave them a blueprint to follow. Same for these Black folks that love TP's flicks.

Back