Welcome To aBlackWeb

Inside Tyler Perry Studios' Grand Opening Gala

well not only this, but if koncept didnt get upset at New Jack City, menace, etc... for the depictions of gang violence in black communities, then dont get upset at depictions of men who tear down women and children
TP played a single dad lawyer in them madea movies who's wife was a drug addict and abandoned their daughter. Bitch was strung out for like 7 straight movies. Nobody safe lol. All the women in his movies get cheated on and dogged out by they husbands just to marry the fine bus driver. It's not good for anybody lol

For colored girls was a play tho. Daddy’s little girls the man was the good guy

For Colored Girls was also a movie.
And, as @DOS_patos and I touched on briefly, Idris' character in the movie had a fucked up past. Can we get a flick out of him where a Black male protagonist is just a decent dude without these fucked up flaws?

these are my thoughts

i like most of you were introduced to TP through his plays.

The most i've done is chuckle at them, but i realize that there is an audience that will gladly support these endeavors. Like i said, his "why did get married" films are easily the best one's he's done.

They are the most relatable without all the extra over the top shit

With that being said, I can compare him to Master P. P was never a top emcee, but he knew his lane and stuck to the formula, and put other people of color in positions to be millionaires. You aint gotta fuck with the music, but you cant knock his business acumen.

And white people will milk a concept or trope to death, and we dont bat an eye, but TP does it, and we tend to hold him to a different standard. I make jokes about the colorism displayed in his films, but at the root of it, we all know niggas who fit those very depictions being shown so lets not act like he just making shit up.

This is a HUGE ordeal for not only him, but other black up and coming actors/actresses, directors, writers, camera crew, etc....

we tend to focus on the wrong things

When white people milk a trope it's typically their people on the screen, so naturally we don't bat an eye. When Tyler does it it's OUR people on screen. We have a big enough problem with how we're presented in the media by whitey that we don't need a nigga doing pretty much the same shit.

When white people milk a trope it's typically their people on the screen, so naturally we don't bat an eye. When Tyler does it it's OUR people on screen. We have a big enough problem with how we're presented in the media by whitey that we don't need a nigga doing pretty much the same shit.

if theres a majority black cast in the film.... yall cant be shocked and complain when ONE of the black folks in said movie is the antagonist lol.

"why the BROTHA had to be the bad guy tho?"

I understand that there are subtleties that warrant discussion but yall might be going overboard with the criticism imo

i dont get the Madea thing. Well, i lie, i had an ol school grandma who was a big woman with a heavy voice but loving spirit. TP nailed a ton of her mannerisms I experienced growing up. Not the over the top shit, but the personality in general

but even still...Madea, as an idea represents a TON of black grandmothers during a certain era. It's not like he making the shit up

i dont get the Madea thing. Well, i lie, i had an ol school grandma who was a big woman with a heavy voice but loving spirit. TP nailed a ton of her mannerisms I experienced growing up. Not the over the top shit, but the personality in general

but even still...Madea, as an idea represents a TON of black grandmothers during a certain era. It's not like he making the shit up

You still on Madea... The nigga got a body of work outside of Madea flicks.

if theres a majority black cast in the film.... yall cant be shocked and complain when ONE of the black folks in said movie is the antagonist lol.

"why the BROTHA had to be the bad guy tho?"

I understand that there are subtleties that warrant discussion but yall might be going overboard with the criticism imo
So you agree but just not fully?

You one of them been to Disneyland but won't wear my shirt ass niggas huh?

For Colored Girls was also a movie.
And, as @DOS_patos and I touched on briefly, Idris' character in the movie had a fucked up past. Can we get a flick out of him where a Black male protagonist is just a decent dude without these fucked up flaws?

Like @AP21 said do you feel the same about NJC, or Boyz n The Hood, or Menace or is it just TP flicks

Do you feel the same about the black women in his films, cause like @shutupGabi pointed out, he painting them as some flawless angels either.

Would you considered movies like the gif you just posted cooning?

Like @AP21 said do you feel the same about NJC, or Boyz n The Hood, or Menace or is it just TP flicks

Do you feel the same about the black women in his films, cause like @shutupGabi pointed out, he painting them as some flawless angels either.

Context is everything.

At the time, we (Black folks) didn't have anything like Boyz In the Hood that spoke to us in that manner, written and directed by a Black man at that. It showed a part of the Black Experience that had never been seen on the big screen, and once we had our fill of it we left the shit alone. Truthfully, Boyz, Menace, and South Central was all the hood flicks we needed to see and it shows by just how quickly it died out. Them shits came and went within 4-5 years outside of direct-to-video flicks like that Fat Joe/Mack 10 trash.

Context is everything.

At the time, we (Black folks) didn't have anything like Boyz In the Hood that spoke to us in that manner, written and directed by a Black man at that. It showed a part of the Black Experience that had never been seen on the big screen, and once we had our fill of it we left the shit alone. Truthfully, Boyz, Menace, and South Central was all the hood flicks we needed to see and it shows by just how quickly it died out. Them shits came and went within 4-5 years outside of direct-to-video flicks like that Fat Joe/Mack 10 trash.

AKA you just don't like Tyler Perry.

Back