Welcome To aBlackWeb

Hulu announces ‘Freaknik: The Wildest Party Never Told’ documentary

Why couldn't he just say it's both? Why is the male side of it "the real problem?" The rapes and sexual assaults were probably the worst things to go down, and you can definitely be honest that it was the men doing most of that. However, the honest take is that hypersexual and bad behavior from both men and women is what led to Freaknik devolving into what it became.

Well for one because there's a big difference between "hypersexual behavior" aka twerking and dancing suggestively vs rape. So trying to put them on the same level isn't smart. And also probably a combination of still being in a time where despite what people think rape and sexual assaults still aren't believed by many and a myriad of excuses are given and victim blamimg is done, see the current discourse around this topic.

Well for one because there's a big difference between "hypersexual behavior" aka twerking and dancing suggestively vs rape. So trying to put them on the same level isn't smart. And also probably a combination of still being in a time where despite what people think rape and sexual assaults still aren't believed by many and a myriad of excuses are given and victim blamimg is done, see the current discourse around this topic.

I'm not suggesting that we discuss rape as if it is the same as hypersexual behavior, but listen to what he said. He's not just talking about rape. He's talking about the general behavior of the men at Freaknik.

I don't have any problem with you or anyone else calling men out for raping and assaulting women at Freaknik, and if some rapists get exposed by the documentary, good.

What I don't like is people looking at random clips of nasty shit that went down at Freaknik, and then acting like men were the sole reason that event was like that. When in reality in most of those video clips, the women are not just willing participants in everything that's happening but, in some cases, the instigators.

I'm not suggesting that we discuss rape as if it is the same as hypersexual behavior, but listen to what he said. He's not just talking about rape. He's talking about the general behavior of the men at Freaknik.

I don't have any problem with you or anyone else calling men out for raping and assaulting women at Freaknik, and if some rapists get exposed by the documentary, good.

What I don't like is people looking at random clips of nasty shit that went down at Freaknik, and then acting like men were the sole reason that event was like that. When in reality in most of those video clips, the women are not just willing participants in everything that's happening but, in some cases, the instigators.

Regarding the bolded...the years I went to BBW...the women was wylin just as much as the men.

If you had a fly azzz bike...car...suv (when suv's was popular)...your chances of gettin pussy that weekend was high. Even if you was a somewhat fit nigga...them women would be on you. So from my own eyes...I've seen more consensual shyt, than the violations.

And if a nigga tried to go too far, I've seen other nigga check that muthafucca. Niggas ain't tryin to have the whole vibe fucc'd up b/c of one or two niggas actin like it's their 1st time seeing azzz, titties, and pussy in person.

Again, WTF are you talking about? I didn't ask why they were covering what men did. I was referring to Marc Lamont's argument. In a nutshell, he was like "Sure women did a bunch of messed up shit at Freaknik, but that's not the real story. The real story is all the fucked up shit men did."

It's fair to say that men committed the most fucked up shit at Freaknik. My point is that I don't agree that's "the real story." To me the real story was how fucked up of an event Freaknik was in general, and that was due to poor behavior from men and women

Ok man point taken

Kappa Beach, Black Spring Break... alladem.

Folks in Detroit talmbout they ain't worried about Freaknic, but if they ever did one on Belle Isle from '93-2000, Rouge Park, or the Jefferson Strip THEN it's time to worry.

Man you aint lyin

I never made it down there but made up for it at all the usual spots in the city. Especially during the Legend's and RiverRock days

Man you aint lyin

I never made it down there but made up for it at all the usual spots in the city. Especially during the Legend's and RiverRock days

Bruh... I acted a complete ass on the Fenkell strip in '91, 7 mile/Jefferson/The Rock in '93, and Jefferson and The Rock from '94 to about '99. Drunk as fuck and wildin' out. We was in the River Rock when it got shot up one time. The Warehouse before they changed the name to Club 2000, The Dancery way back.

Oh, and Timbo's. LAWD don't make a documentary about Tim's!!!

Bruh... I acted a complete ass on the Fenkell strip in '91, 7 mile/Jefferson/The Rock in '93, and Jefferson and The Rock from '94 to about '99. Drunk as fuck and wildin' out. We was in the River Rock when it got shot up one time. The Warehouse before they changed the name to Club 2000, The Dancery way back.

Oh, and Timbo's. LAWD don't make a documentary about Tim's!!!

Timbos was a staple, couple after hrs we used to hit up near there too. That and circling round st andrews area. The MC clubs (Outcast), or Chocolate City (had a squabble im there), All Stars. All up and down The Mile from east to west. The Rock was easy money back then cuz chicks had no problems choosin. I had an 8 duece Coupe DeVille with the bang. Couldnt tell me shit.

Jefferson was nuts. Remember how the hoe ass hook used to shut the entrance off to the rock? Shit was annoying but made Jefferson pop that much more.

And then theres the Canada nights....

Man those was good times

Timbos was a staple, couple after hrs we used to hit up near there too. That and circling round st andrews area. The MC clubs (Outcast), or Chocolate City (had a squabble im there), All Stars. All up and down The Mile from east to west. The Rock was easy money back then cuz chicks had no problems choosin. I had an 8 duece Coupe DeVille with the bang. Couldnt tell me shit.

Jefferson was nuts. Remember how the hoe ass hook used to shut the entrance off to the rock? Shit was annoying but made Jefferson pop that much more.

And then theres the Canada nights....

Man those was good times

Hell yeah. One of my boys was a member of Outcast. He invited me to their Big Titty Contest back in '91 and '92. Found a chick I was diggin in high school working at Tigers II on Woodward back in '97.

And yup, when the hook shut down The Rock, Jefferson was on hype until the wee hours of the night along with Greektown.

I got hemmed up by them niggas tryin' to pull this broad's phone number in an abandoned gas station a few blocks east of Belle Isle. Sarge with coffee breath all in my face talkin' mega shit to me and I'm tellin' his underlings I was just hollerin' at hoes. My boys watched the whole shit go down.

Maaaaaaan, don't get me started on Windsor. My 24 year old just came to visit for a few days. I'm showing her downtown the other day and tellin' her about how hype Windsor, ON was back inna day. We treated Windsor like it was just another suburb of Detroit, not like the shit was in a whole other country.

I think he is villifying the creeps. They don’t need our defense. I don’t think he talking about guys who had consensual sex. Maybe he felt he did not need to state the obvious.

But I guess if he said not all the men were on that would it be better? This ai t an attack on me and mine.

This hoe ass nigga

If it was so much assault going on why he aint do an expose on the shit with his "investigative journalist" ass? Did he step in like a man should to help stop any assaults? Cause if not he part of the problem

The blame needs to stay where it belongs, on the men that were doing that fuck shit and not this generic "check the men" bullshit. As a black man he should know firsthand how the actions.of the worst of us get attributed to all of us and that helps get us killed.

The reality is the assaults werent the norm. The norm was young adults engaging in consenual wreckless behavior like every other generation has done and continues to do. If there was a huge assault story there trust that shit woulda been covered heavily in the 90s durinf the height of the "black men aint shit campaign."

Back