Welcome To aBlackWeb

HipHop Would Not Exist Without Jamaicans & Puerto Ricans - KRS One

I'm well versed in Reggae. My family is Jamaican and my father was a DJ there in the late 60's to mid 70's and even when he migrated to Canada he was still doing it and own a few record shops (one in Toronto and one in Montreal). You are talking about SKA and the early Reggae records that were influenced by R&B but cultural Roots Reggae was influenced from Africa.
We’re all influenced by Africa

Jamaican's didn't get the sound system from America that is a lie. That's been a Jamaican thing long before American's were doing it.
Well a simple Google search says that you’re wrong

“The Origins of Sound Systems Early Sound Systems were created by Jamaicans who were moving back and forth from the USA in the 1940's and 50's. They were influenced by the R&B bands playing through PA systems at New York block parties and they made the idea their own by generating homemade rudimentary Sound Systems.”

lol who said black americans needed help? You and the doof.

Yall having a whole argument with yourselves that nobody is making a case for

we all love hip hop bro

ima windmill spin kick one of you niggas in the face just cuz yall wanna be outraged for no reason. we got bigger shit to worry bout fam
doof is hilarious I'm sorry and I don't even know who you're talking about but I legit laughed

Wym so what?

Ppl still know black ppl invented rock

Why should we just let ppl claim our shit?

We had a lot less freedom before hip hop.

A bunch of them said this not just them.

So many said it that I believed it for a long time.

White ppl don’t claim they created rock they just do rock
Ijs by and large Jamaicans or Puerto Ricans don’t claim they made hip hop. Maybe a couple in the Bronx and KRS 1 but this is giving energy to something only a small amount believe

Ijs by and large Jamaicans or Puerto Ricans don’t claim they made hip hop. Maybe a couple in the Bronx and KRS 1 but this is giving energy to something only a small amount believe
I don’t think it was that small of a group because even I thought that for decades until I really looked into it.

I didn’t know enough about the origins of their music to discount it back then.

I don’t have any issue with Jamaicans or Latinos I just like the truth and the facts.

While I’m passionate about hip hop,this conversation could be about the history of spoons and I still would want the facts.

Well a simple Google search says that you’re wrong

“The Origins of Sound Systems Early Sound Systems were created by Jamaicans who were moving back and forth from the USA in the 1940's and 50's. They were influenced by the R&B bands playing through PA systems at New York block parties and they made the idea their own by generating homemade rudimentary Sound Systems.”

Cite you source because every site I've went to has said no such thing.

Cite you source because every site I've went to has said no such thing.
all I did was Google was Jamaican sound systems influenced by Americans and google generated pages saying that .I didn’t even have to click on a article or anything

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: GNS
We are not talking about all music. We are talking about Reggae specifically and SKA was influenced by R&B. Reggae was influenced from African drumming and chanting.
I googled what influenced raggae and wiki says “Reggae's direct origins are in the ska and rocksteady of 1960s Jamaica, strongly influenced by traditional Caribbean mento and calypso music, as well as American jazz and rhythm and blues.”

Then I looked in articles and they said the same thing.

And if chanting and toasting are the same the main pioneer said he was influenced by black American Jive talk

Back